LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 185 users in the forums

Week 8 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thl, Geep is screwed ...no matter what he does. So really hard to evaluate him. Sure kap has no OL, no playcalling helps because he is so limited as a QB (boy that sounds weird), #1 WR , #1 RB both out, Vernon is done, kap has dissembled (" I don't care, bench me or trade me").... now that shows his maturity level, a major league weakness and complaint all along, so what is geep to do? Absolutely impossible to grade him out this yr. No complaints from me, except for that c.s. ding bat set of 3 calls on the goal line....3 straight runs, each losing yardage, ending in safety. Now THAT I would fire him for. Anything else, just no way to gauge the guy. I am afraid, however, that wth zero confidence in his qb, and all the problems above, that geep may just be a loser also....certainly he shorted out back there on the goal line. Anyway, usually you are talking about not being able to judge the QB, because of OL or OC problems...or WR, TE problems. . Here we are talking about the OC...so it is a bit different.

And for the brave souls that DON'T want to see gab play, I think you are being a bit shortsighted. Two reasons.
1) Kap might just benefit from sitting and actually learn something. OTOH, maybe not, in that he seems to have never learned the playbook, forsaking that for weightlifting. IF he knew the playbook backwards and forwards, he would be able to throw before the break, something he obviously can't do. Again, he can't even complete a majority of his 3 yd passes so maybe this is just an idyll thot.
2). GAb. I was not a fan of his coming here, but with 2 yrs reclamation done, he finally didn't look like he did at Jax for 3 yrs, able to get the ball gone quickly in the face of no OL. I would be extremely interested if that coaching up has helped in real time....game time. For some reason he isn't getting called on, when he has demonstrated that he can do well in PS against 2nd and 3rd squad Ds. So let's see what he has. IF nothing, then he needs to go also. There is no way on God's green earth that kap has earned another yr here. He is a FAILED experiment. No point in trying to reclaim him. How harbaw picked him as heir apparent I don't know, but I do know it was a horrible mistake. Ask kap and he would tell you, Please send me elsewhere. He is broken here, and no fixing is going to work. Lost the fan base, lost his teammates , and his immaturity screams, get rid of him. Oddly, he has not lost his HC or owner as of today. Tomorrow, who knows.

This is total revisionist history nonsense. Kap did very well for Harbaugh. He was brilliant in his first game against Chicago, won several gritty playoff games on the road, and was one play away from a SB victory. Harbaugh got the most out of Kap. Kap is totally useless now.

I agree with you about Gabbert and would like to see him in there.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I don't think anyone calling for Gabbert thinks he will be better...It is more a function of what is best for Kap. Maybe some time on the pine helps him clear his head, maybe it doesn't, but if he gets hurt in there he is done for as a starter. Also if he were to get hurt and it was something that carried into next year we are stuck with him because his money is guaranteed for injury only. If Gabbert turned out to be a late bloomer that would be a huge bonus...but it isn't why most people are calling for him.

I watched Gabbert play preseason and He looked more in tune with the wideouts,He does scan the defense before snapping the damn ball,He to me looks a REAL pocket passer who can hit the open Wideout when Hes open and can throw wideouts open,unlike Sack-Puppet.
  • blop
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
2) Chryst: So this one is really about both Kap and Chryst...and the O in general. I know people hate Chryst and have hated him since the day one. I'm not going to defend him per se, but I think it should be pointed out that he's in a really rough spot. He's got a line that can't run or pass block, a QB who's completely shell-shocked, down his best WR who runs 4.8-4.9 on a good day, and yesterday was down to his 5th RB.

How do you call an offense under those conditions? You simplify for the QB, but then the D just sits on the routes. I see him dialing up the same simply plays time after time hoping for a better result and ordinarily that would drive me nuts...but what are his other options? So many parts not functioning correctly...at some point the players need to make the damn plays.

This.

I'm no football expert. But I've thought about this quite a bit. I'm just not sure how you scheme your way out of our situation.

O Line: It's just awful. There are times when I just can't believe what I am seeing. Again, I have far less knowledge than many folks here, but even I can clearly see that the line is just terrible. Even when the line isn't just immediately defeated and there's a "pocket," it's often immediately closing in on Kap. It's so common for the center to be nearly pushed into Kap that I've stopped noticing. Kap rarely has a "pocket" to climb because the top of the pocket just follows Kap during his drop. And it often fails-- quickly-- in multiple locations, so evading pressure is nearly impossible. And that's when we have a "pocket." Which we often don't.

The pressure comes so fast it's just laughable. How many screen passes were batted down yesterday? I remember one distinctly that was just ridiculous, as Kap had the ball out immediately after the snap. And it was still batted down. I've never been a QB-- nor did I play football in highschool-- but I cannot imagine what this oblong, messy, always nearly failing "pocket" must do to passing windows and vision-- as if the lack of time, threat of sack, and constrained field weren't enough for Kap to worry about. It's like he's playing a red zone offense against a blitz that magically dials up extra rushers without losing pass defense: There's so little time that the field is constrained, the routes are therefore simple and there's almost certainly little to separation, and the pocket sucks so bad that he's always worried about getting sacked, and defenses don't even need to blitz to make this happen.

It's disgusting.

Kap: Tunnel vision. Shell shocked. I agree. But... this isn't an over night product. This is a season and a half behind an O line that has gotten worse and worse. A season and a half for a QB who previously only had a season and a half as a starter in the NFL. For a QB who showed real promise, but definitely needed some work-- especially in pocket management. A season and a half for a QB who was able to manage a much more complex offensive prior to the O line collapse, but whose major weakness was being a bit slow and not throwing based on anticipated route breaks. If he's our project, and we want him to gain the confidence to make anticipation throws, then we need a decent O line and/or quick receivers who can create separation quickly. And we provided none of that. In fact, we provided the opposite.

Yeah. Sometimes the pocket holds well enough and Kap doesn't make some throws. Or he over or under throws. And that sucks. But... dude has been under siege for like a season and a half. It's not like he's going to forget about that history. If he sees the line struggling on any given Sunday, he knows what that means: They're out matched. And the pressure is probably coming any given second. And if he's not prepared, it could be a sack. Or fumble. Or injury. End of career. It's one thing if a QB plays behind a line that plays like s**t against a really tough defense. It's still not going to be easy to stand there and make some throws with the pressure coming, but it must be a completely different experience when the line just s**ts the bed almost every single game. That's gotta be a huge source of his tunnel vision: He does not trust the line.

And that tunnel vision at the safety when he didn't see/comprehend Torrey Smith? Totally sucks. He should have seen it. But he's backed up on the 1-yard line, and the coach has called a run up the middle. Kap's not an idiot. He knows that if there's any mistakes at all, it's a safety. He knows our line sucks-- probably better than anyone-- and he knows the defense is gonna be doing everything it can to get our dude in the back field. Yes, it would have been awesome if he had noted that uncovered receiver, but if you can't empathize with his tunnel vision right now, you aren't trying. He's over-focusing on his immediate task at hand because he understands that any slip up will cause a safety. I'm sure he'll learn from this. I'm sure it will be a good lesson for him.

Receivers: I don't have All22, so I can't see everything. But I just don't see anyone creating separation quickly. Not that I'd expect almost any receivers to be able to create enough separation quickly enough given our terrible O line and Kap's yet-developed trust and confidence in anticipation throws. I know Vernon runs sloppy routes, so I'm sure that doesn't help Kap with anticipation. And I know Bouldin isn't exactly that fast, so that doesn't help. And in general, I know we're typically running simple routes because we just don't have time for much of anything else, so I don't even think Kap should be making anticipation throws at this point because they'd probably just get picked off.

Running: Hahaha. Yeah. Line can't block. PS runners. It's just bad news.

Sum Total: Our system creates failure because that is the only real thing it can produce. This is the outcome of a season and a half long regression in the O line. Our line is now so bad that every competent defense knows it can just dial up the pressure-- even without blitzing, uggg--, and, statistically, they win. So what if we burn them a couple times a game?-- and Kap has burned a few defenses this season. It doesn't matter. The line is so bad that it doesn't matter. They can disrupt everything we want to do almost every time, which means that, aside from the exceptions where the stars align and we burn them for 40 yards, they completely castrate our offense.

There is no magic solution, aside from perhaps an expert, creative OC who can figure out some way to compensate for our terrible line. Again, I'm no expert, but just from a conceptual perspective, I don't see any way out of this. Other than fixing the O line. And maybe even getting a new QB. Kap may now be damaged beyond repair, and he very well may need new scenery to recover, though I'm more optimistic than most regarding Kap. When he faced terrible defenses, which resulted in receivers creating separation quickly enough relative to our O line, he quickly got in the groove and executed at an acceptable level.

Finally, thanks to Martin for these threads, and to thl408 and jonnydel for the after-game analysis and break downs. Win or lose, I always look forward to these threads, and as a relative newcomer to football, I've learned a great deal from all your efforts. I'm sure there are many other lurkers like me who appreciate your efforts. Thanks!
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I watched Gabbert play preseason and He looked more in tune with the wideouts,He does scan the defense before snapping the damn ball,He to me looks a REAL pocket passer who can hit the open Wideout when Hes open and can throw wideouts open,unlike Sack-Puppet.

I'll all for giving him a shot but lets be real here. Blaine looked good against vanilla defenses and third stringers. Hell Mike Davis was avg 4.3 a game in the preseason

There is no pocket so who cares if he looks like a pocket passer lol.

If Blaine starters it will lead to more loses and hopefully they will fire everyone and we will have a top 5 pick that's my only reasoning for starting him
Here is what I saw. The coaches are inept, The players are already packing for vacation, Baalke is busy writing rumors on note cards and Jed is crying like a baby in the fetal position. Did I miss anything?
Originally posted by blop:
This.

I'm no football expert. But I've thought about this quite a bit. I'm just not sure how you scheme your way out of our situation.

O Line: It's just awful. There are times when I just can't believe what I am seeing. Again, I have far less knowledge than many folks here, but even I can clearly see that the line is just terrible. Even when the line isn't just immediately defeated and there's a "pocket," it's often immediately closing in on Kap. It's so common for the center to be nearly pushed into Kap that I've stopped noticing. Kap rarely has a "pocket" to climb because the top of the pocket just follows Kap during his drop. And it often fails-- quickly-- in multiple locations, so evading pressure is nearly impossible. And that's when we have a "pocket." Which we often don't.

The pressure comes so fast it's just laughable. How many screen passes were batted down yesterday? I remember one distinctly that was just ridiculous, as Kap had the ball out immediately after the snap. And it was still batted down. I've never been a QB-- nor did I play football in highschool-- but I cannot imagine what this oblong, messy, always nearly failing "pocket" must do to passing windows and vision-- as if the lack of time, threat of sack, and constrained field weren't enough for Kap to worry about. It's like he's playing a red zone offense against a blitz that magically dials up extra rushers without losing pass defense: There's so little time that the field is constrained, the routes are therefore simple and there's almost certainly little to separation, and the pocket sucks so bad that he's always worried about getting sacked, and defenses don't even need to blitz to make this happen.

It's disgusting.

Kap: Tunnel vision. Shell shocked. I agree. But... this isn't an over night product. This is a season and a half behind an O line that has gotten worse and worse. A season and a half for a QB who previously only had a season and a half as a starter in the NFL. For a QB who showed real promise, but definitely needed some work-- especially in pocket management. A season and a half for a QB who was able to manage a much more complex offensive prior to the O line collapse, but whose major weakness was being a bit slow and not throwing based on anticipated route breaks. If he's our project, and we want him to gain the confidence to make anticipation throws, then we need a decent O line and/or quick receivers who can create separation quickly. And we provided none of that. In fact, we provided the opposite.

Yeah. Sometimes the pocket holds well enough and Kap doesn't make some throws. Or he over or under throws. And that sucks. But... dude has been under siege for like a season and a half. It's not like he's going to forget about that history. If he sees the line struggling on any given Sunday, he knows what that means: They're out matched. And the pressure is probably coming any given second. And if he's not prepared, it could be a sack. Or fumble. Or injury. End of career. It's one thing if a QB plays behind a line that plays like s**t against a really tough defense. It's still not going to be easy to stand there and make some throws with the pressure coming, but it must be a completely different experience when the line just s**ts the bed almost every single game. That's gotta be a huge source of his tunnel vision: He does not trust the line.

And that tunnel vision at the safety when he didn't see/comprehend Torrey Smith? Totally sucks. He should have seen it. But he's backed up on the 1-yard line, and the coach has called a run up the middle. Kap's not an idiot. He knows that if there's any mistakes at all, it's a safety. He knows our line sucks-- probably better than anyone-- and he knows the defense is gonna be doing everything it can to get our dude in the back field. Yes, it would have been awesome if he had noted that uncovered receiver, but if you can't empathize with his tunnel vision right now, you aren't trying. He's over-focusing on his immediate task at hand because he understands that any slip up will cause a safety. I'm sure he'll learn from this. I'm sure it will be a good lesson for him.

Receivers: I don't have All22, so I can't see everything. But I just don't see anyone creating separation quickly. Not that I'd expect almost any receivers to be able to create enough separation quickly enough given our terrible O line and Kap's yet-developed trust and confidence in anticipation throws. I know Vernon runs sloppy routes, so I'm sure that doesn't help Kap with anticipation. And I know Bouldin isn't exactly that fast, so that doesn't help. And in general, I know we're typically running simple routes because we just don't have time for much of anything else, so I don't even think Kap should be making anticipation throws at this point because they'd probably just get picked off.

Running: Hahaha. Yeah. Line can't block. PS runners. It's just bad news.

Sum Total: Our system creates failure because that is the only real thing it can produce. This is the outcome of a season and a half long regression in the O line. Our line is now so bad that every competent defense knows it can just dial up the pressure-- even without blitzing, uggg--, and, statistically, they win. So what if we burn them a couple times a game?-- and Kap has burned a few defenses this season. It doesn't matter. The line is so bad that it doesn't matter. They can disrupt everything we want to do almost every time, which means that, aside from the exceptions where the stars align and we burn them for 40 yards, they completely castrate our offense.

There is no magic solution, aside from perhaps an expert, creative OC who can figure out some way to compensate for our terrible line. Again, I'm no expert, but just from a conceptual perspective, I don't see any way out of this. Other than fixing the O line. And maybe even getting a new QB. Kap may now be damaged beyond repair, and he very well may need new scenery to recover, though I'm more optimistic than most regarding Kap. When he faced terrible defenses, which resulted in receivers creating separation quickly enough relative to our O line, he quickly got in the groove and executed at an acceptable level.

Finally, thanks to Martin for these threads, and to thl408 and jonnydel for the after-game analysis and break downs. Win or lose, I always look forward to these threads, and as a relative newcomer to football, I've learned a great deal from all your efforts. I'm sure there are many other lurkers like me who appreciate your efforts. Thanks!

I agree with all of this
  • thl408

Nice post Marvin. I'm at the point of total dejection:

• I have no confidence in the offensive scheme
  • I've lost confidence in the QB
  • I have no confidence at all in the O-line
  • I have zero confidence in the coaching staff
  • I have no confidence in the overall collection of young talent
  • Most of all, I have no confidence AT ALL in the GM or ownership

Just no confidence at all in the team whatsoever. Too little talent failing to execute unwinnable schemes from a mediocre coaching staff that was built by a GM and owner too cheap and with ego's too large to retain good coaches for long-term winning. But chiefly York and Baalke are responsible for this mess. They got what they wanted and we're seeing the results. We're not gonna get better this season no matter what personnel changes are made. And it's crystal clear rebuilding is what we need. So at this point I think it's best to start the kids: the starting Lineup needs to be:

Offence:

QB - Gabbert (Kaep is done)
LT - Staley (DO NOT TRADE)
LG - Boone
C - Martin
RG - Tiller/Thomas
RT - Brown
TE - Bell
FB - Miller
RB - Gaskins
WR - Smith & Simpson

Defense:

DE - Armstead & Dial (we're using Dorsey out of position anyway)
NT - Williams
OLB - Herald & Lynch
ILB - Bowman & Hodges
CB - Brock & Acker
SS - Reid
FS - Tartt

I know things won't shake out that way but we might as well see what we have in the kids now. That way they get on-the-job training (development) and by draft time we know the directions we need to go at certain positions.

IMHO
Originally posted by thl408:

Haha....Just inexcusable. It's symptoms of a guy that is pressing and essentially shot. There is just not a good reason to not look at coverage presnap.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

I'll all for giving him a shot but lets be real here. Blaine looked good against vanilla defenses and third stringers. Hell Mike Davis was avg 4.3 a game in the preseason

There is no pocket so who cares if he looks like a pocket passer lol.

If Blaine starters it will lead to more loses and hopefully they will fire everyone and we will have a top 5 pick that's my only reasoning for starting him

So much this. Blaine look decent against dudes that barely made a team. Hayne looked even better and how has that worked? Give him a shot, but be realistic.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Geep Chryst as an offensive coordinator: 1998 - #26. 1999. #28. 2015 - #32. There is a reason he went 16 years between OC jobs. When you hire bad coaches you get bad results.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Geep Chryst as an offensive coordinator: 1998 - #26. 1999. #28. 2015 - #32. There is a reason he went 16 years between OC jobs. When you hire bad coaches you get bad results.

I wish the niners where as good as that album is
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I don't understand why anyone that wasn't on the 49er staff watch that game again. I am an animal lover but I think I would rather watch a video of someone drowning kittens than that mess over again.
IMO they have to try Gabbert.If the offense starts to click even a little then it makes the decision on Kap clear. If Blaine starts throwing balls in the dirt and the stands then you know that there is more to it. Even semi competent QB play should inspire the entire team to try harder with some semblance of hope.
[ Edited by Sourball on Nov 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Not that I entirely disagree...

...but it ain't like he's had the parts in any stop of his NFL career.

This is what makes him on his best day, an average NFL OC at best. We didn't need to let Jim Harbaugh go to only get an average OC on his best day. With that sad, I do agree that Geep's hands are completely tied. It will take major creativity and execution, on far too many plays just for this offense to be functional at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone