LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 138 users in the forums

Week 8 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
Why do people keep coming up with excuses for the bad play? The 49ers are a bad team and bad teams play bad games. Want to know why we are bad? Tomsula was hired and was unable to attract quality assistants, which lead us to hiring guys who shouldn't be coordinators. We also lost A LOT of talent that our GM was unable to replace. Turns out all that young talent he was praised for drafting wasn't so talented. This team wont go 12-4 next year with a few new additions to the OL.

Totally agree, I knew as soon as JT was named HC we were F. Who wants to work under a DL coach who's only real HC experience was in a league that doesn't exist anymore?

Between the coaching staff and how much we lost there was no way this was gonna be successful year. Kap is bad (real bad) and gets a ton of blame but the parts around him are just as bad.

They need to clean house this off season, I will be sooo pissed if we see JT trotting out in 2016 ( which will most likely happen).
  • thl408
Just so I don't sound like I'm giving Geep a pass, that playcalling that led up to the safety was horrifically conservative. Three straight runs up the middle into the strength of the Rams defense, while asking the team's weakness (interior OL) to win their matchups was incredibly stupid and was my biggest lol moment of the game.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Geep probably isn't good, but I don't think any OC would do that much better. Playcalling isn't the primary issue right now.

The linemen on the market right now all suck. If they didn't, they'd be working right now. Have no idea why Devey is starting. That is befuddling to all of us.

I do think a better OC would have some say in some of the personnel though. OC's often times bring in their guys. There's no way a good OC would see the OL going into the season and leave it as is. Fruthermore Geep has had some bewilering play calls as well. All his fault? No. But what has he ever done in his career to get any kind of benefit of the doubt? Devey should be benched.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Why do people keep coming up with excuses for the bad play? The 49ers are a bad team and bad teams play bad games. Want to know why we are bad? Tomsula was hired and was unable to attract quality assistants, which lead us to hiring guys who shouldn't be coordinators. We also lost A LOT of talent that our GM was unable to replace. Turns out all that young talent he was praised for drafting wasn't so talented. This team wont go 12-4 next year with a few new additions to the OL.

Totally agree, I knew as soon as JT was named HC we were F. Who wants to work under a DL coach who's only real HC experience was in a league that doesn't exist anymore?

Between the coaching staff and how much we lost there was no way this was gonna be successful year. Kap is bad (real bad) and gets a ton of blame but the parts around him are just as bad.

They need to clean house this off season, I will be sooo pissed if we see JT trotting out in 2016 ( which will most likely happen).

They have to be seeing the light right now. Know way can he be brought back.
People that keep bashing Vernon just don't get it. He's not done by any means. You have a line that can't block and a QB that can't get anyone the ball and people want to talk about how much Vernon sucks. I guarantee if Vernon was on the Packers, Patriots, Saints, etc. he'd be putting up very good numbers. He still has his speed. He's never been one to lower his shoulder. People just see his stats being s**tty the last couple years and now start noticing that he doesn't look for contact and make the conclusion that he sucks now. That's never been his MO in the first place. And you don't need a tight end to play like Adrian Peterson. He needs a QB that has time to actually throw the ball and a QB that can get him the ball.

I guess Torrey Smith must suck then too, because his numbers are pretty bad this year as well. Vernon's not a guy that puts his head down and tries to run someone over and he's never been. He hasn't changed. He just put up 13 tds in 2013. What has changed is how s**tty the line has become and how bad the QB has been playing. It's pretty obvious the reason for his decline in stats.
Marvin. You said you don't understand what benching Kap would solve?

I have $35.6 million in guaranteed salary.

All it takes is one hit. From my understanding, and I could be wrong, but if that was Kap yesterday instead of Bush, Kaps 2016 salary is fully guaranteed.

At this state of Kaps progression or lack of, the last thing we need is a guarantee for a portion of his salary when he can't even play.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
And its also no coincidence that the OL completely fell apart this year with Chris Foerster as the OL coach. I mean teams don't let good coaches leave for lateral moves. When he was in Washington this was said about him "when he was hired several people saying he was just "OK," and an executive with a team that once employed Foerster said he would let him leave."

And this seems awfully familiar: http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/8/24/6062379/calling-out-chris-foerster
On your Geep point... It's how I feel about the whole team in general. It's hard to evaluate what you have, talent wise or coaching staff when the team is so dysfunctional. It's why I get so pissed at Baalke for the Oline mess. Can't evaluate the rb's because we can't run the ball. Kap looks like crap but but we have no idea what he even learned at the Warner camp because he can't throw from the pocket. Is Tomsula any good or Geep or Mangini or are they doing the best of what they have to work with.

It just feels like a wasted season and Oline should ALWAYS imo be the #1 priority. You have to control the line of scrimmage. Now I just feel like we don't know what we have in terms of coaches and players.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They have to be seeing the light right now. Know way can he be brought back.

That's the issue though, you think baalke and Jed fire JT after one season? I think they should but not a ot of coaches get fired after just one season.
Originally posted by thl408:
Just so I don't sound like I'm giving Geep a pass, that playcalling that led up to the safety was horrifically conservative. Three straight runs up the middle into the strength of the Rams defense, while asking the team's weakness (interior OL) to win their matchups was incredibly stupid and was my biggest lol moment of the game.

It was absolutely atrocious and unbelievably predictable. I saw a breakdown on reddit of Geep's RZ and general offense philosophy, curious to hear your thoughts:

https://www.reddit.com/r/49ers/comments/3r56ci/kap_now_has_0_passing_tds_in_5_of_8_games/

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
People that keep bashing Vernon just don't get it. He's not done by any means. You have a line that can't block and a QB that can't get anyone the ball and people want to talk about how much Vernon sucks. I guarantee if Vernon was on the Packers, Patriots, Saints, etc. he'd be putting up very good numbers. He still has his speed. He's never been one to lower his shoulder. People just see his stats being s**tty the last couple years and now start noticing that he doesn't look for contact and make the conclusion that he sucks now. That's never been his MO in the first place. And you don't need a tight end to play like Adrian Peterson. He needs a QB that has time to actually throw the ball and a QB that can get him the ball.

I guess Torrey Smith must suck then too, because his numbers are pretty bad this year as well. Vernon's not a guy that puts his head down and tries to run someone over and he's never been. He hasn't changed. He just put up 13 tds in 2013. What has changed is how s**tty the line has become and how bad the QB has been playing. It's pretty obvious the reason for his decline in stats.

I disagree, whether he's still pissy over the contract or whatever, short of just refusing to play he is about as disinterested as a football player can be. And while he's never been the most physical runner after the catch, he would mix it up when he had to...but now this guy can't find the turf or sideline fast enough. He's a physical specimen who once upon a time had some passion for the game and had a few really good years, but for the past 2 seasons he's shown none of that, and hopefully this ends the nonsense of him being the best 49er TE ever...an insult to Brent Jones, a guy who left it all out on the field.

Re: Torrey Smith, he doesn't suck and he's probably regretting signing with this team, but his numbers would be a little bit better if he could actually catch a football that hits him in the hands.
On Chryst, maybe its just me, but I expect a better offense than what we have. I know the injuries in the Rams game, but my goodness. They are not competitive on that side of the ball. One touchdown, in garbage time, against a divisional opponent in THREE divisional games this year.

Chryst mentioned a few weeks ago "Our base offense should be set up to beat your three division opponents" This is so troubling. Our divisional opponents have BLOWN us out this year. Outscored: 94-16. What does that tell us about our offensive staff and game planning? Clean house after the year, please.
you could write the same thing each week and no one would notice.
Originally posted by Blindfury:
All the factors contributing to the anemic offense blend together. But the ones that leap out to me is Kap having tunnel vision, and the piss poor pass/run blocking. Let me know if you disagree with those two weaknesses I mentioned. So what does an OC do to account for these two weaknesses? He calls simple route combinations that are easier to defend.

What is it that you would like to see more of? Please don't say 'slants and screens'.

He is under constant pressure, that is textbook what happens to QBs..especially young ones. I'd like to see Devey and Pears replaced. I'd also see who on the team can play center. Stop running to the right side for one thing and call more blitz beaters. Have a better gameplan. You can't tell me Geep has done a good job and his hands are tired by personnel. He has never shown ability as a good OC...ever.

Address the Oline and guarantee you we'll see better play.

I didn't say Geep has done a good job. Don't twist it around to form an imaginary argument. Please re-read my posts.

You say Geep deserves blame, then say the offense will be better with better OL play. I agree with you. So the problem is the OL isn't it? If that gets addressed, then Geep can call some better plays, and not this simple, easy-to-defend offense we are seeing. If you were to assign weight, what percentage would you assign blame? For me (this is for the entire season) imo:

OL: 40%
Kap: 40%
WR/TE/RB: 10%
Playcalling: 10%

Personsally if I was placing blame, I'd go:

OL: 50%
Kap: 40%

And split the rest up over OC and other position groups. IMO the OL is the single biggest factor and as a result of their play it has essentially busted kap. i just don't see what an OC can dial up to address a sieve of an OL and a busted QB. He keeps trying to use stuff that can work and since its so few in number of concepts it leads to a rudimentary offense that just isn't working. I think this lead to his brain dead calling on the one,...he was just wanting to punt and figured plowing up the middle would at least maintains and maybe even eek out a few yards to punt the ball. It's just a s**tty situation all the way around.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
This team is turrible.
Share 49ersWebzone