There are 206 users in the forums

The key to fixing the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
WHere?? Lynch? He wouldn't start for 20 teams across the NFL and yet he's our lone bright spot on defense lol. Boreland was undersized with BAD SHOULDERS coming out of Wisconsin and 31 other teams KNEW this but Baalke picked him anyway. Marcus Martin is straight up trash especially as a HIGH 3rd rounder and Brandon Thomas 3rd rounder cannot even beat out street Junky Jordan Devey?? Yeah thats some great draft there.

LOL, you said everything you have to right there. Ridiculous.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
So Phoenix you condone keeping Baalke?? LOL that is a total FAIL right there. Have you been watching for the LAST 4 years since the 2012 NFL Draft that none close to NONE of Baalke's draftees have done DIDDLY POO

Who has consistently done better? Baalke has drafted good football players with 6 of his 7 first rounders. That's well above the 50% bust rate in the first round. He's done very well in FA every year but this one. No GM in football could have salvaged this roster with all of the late departures.

uhh Seattle, uh Patriots uhh Packers uh Cowgirls uh Bengals uh Steelers you could stop me anytime.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Who picks this individual that makes all the calls on the GM, coaches, etc? I don't see a huge difference between York picking someone to pick the GM and York picking the GM himself...

And if the next GM fails, do we then hire someone else to hire another GM? It would be nice to have someone running the show, but I have no confidence in our ability to pick the right person to run the show.

I think you hire consultants to identify this individual. Mind you we're not talking about someone that will be doing any of the drafting, coaching, signing players...etc, but someone that has a firm understanding of how a football team is supposed to be run. That is crucial because right now you don't have that. I think having someone like that may have alleviated many of the issues with Harbaugh and he'd likely still be here if you had that buffer, someone with experience in running an organization and the understanding that conflict sometimes is inevitable.

With a credible football background and league-wide contacts, that individual is in a better position to identify top GM and head coaching candidates and can always work to keep the team well represented and build their reputation across the league as a whole.

There's no guarantee of success of course but to me its a far better way of going about it than having Jed and Marathe running the football operations.
uhh Seattle, uh Patriots uhh Packers uh Cowgirls uh Bengals uh Steelers you could stop me anytime.

I asked you to take this to the Baalke thread, could you respect my wishes to not turn this into another spam-riddled mess of draft pick debate, this thread isn't for that.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
So Phoenix you condone keeping Baalke?? LOL that is a total FAIL right there. Have you been watching for the LAST 4 years since the 2012 NFL Draft that none close to NONE of Baalke's draftees have done DIDDLY POO

Who has consistently done better? Baalke has drafted good football players with 6 of his 7 first rounders. That's well above the 50% bust rate in the first round. He's done very well in FA every year but this one. No GM in football could have salvaged this roster with all of the late departures.

LOL.
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Great post. I honestly don't care who they bring in at this point. We haven't had a consistent passing game in a long time outside of part of the 2012 season. Still no pass rush. Still no oline that can pass block and still very little successful draft picks.

Bring someone else in who is willing to change the philosophy around here. Yes we had a great formula for 3 years but as good as it was and as great as our roster was, we came away with our first Super Bowl loss in franchise history and nothing else is really worth mentioning.

We need to get away from this 2-gapping on defense and might as well switch to a 4-3 as we aren't in a traditional 3-4 very often. We have cap space and a load of draft picks, why not see what someone else can do with that?

That's the key right here. All that roster building, it took 8 long years to build that team. All we got was 3 winning years, and a SB loss with that philosophy. Not good enough.

What's held us back is a sub-par passing game. I want a team that is winning for 10-15 years. Only way to do that is with a QB and a consistent, efficient passing attack.

This team needs to be committed to building around that philosophy. We need to find someone who know how to get that done. Find your QB, structure the passing game, build the rest of the team around it.

Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Hiring a competent executive translates to Jed having to relinquish power. From everything you know about that kid, do you even think that is remotely possible? I don't.

Its really the only way I can see of this organization as a whole reinventing itself and building towards prolonged success. So its what I'm hoping for, because the alternative is turning out like the Browns, hiring and firing every 2-3 years, starting the cycle again and again, adrift in the ocean of irrelevancy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I asked you to take this to the Baalke thread, could you respect my wishes to not turn this into another spam-riddled mess of draft pick debate, this thread isn't for that.

Sorry dude.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
That's the key right here. All that roster building, it took 8 long years to build that team. All we got was 3 winning years, and a SB loss with that philosophy. Not good enough.

What's held us back is a sub-par passing game. I want a team that is winning for 10-15 years. Only way to do that is with a QB and a consistent, efficient passing attack.

This team needs to be committed to building around that philosophy. We need to find someone who know how to get that done. Find your QB, structure the passing game, build the rest of the team around it.

I think that philosophy has to start at the top and work its way down, with someone making sure that everyone is on the same page. Right now there is no philosophy at the top, there really hasn't been one. "I think we're going to run the ball" is not a philosophy.

York is like "well, Bill Walsh once gave me a $1 for the soda machine so I think I know what he'd do i this situation. Marathe is like "I once made Bain $100 million in a single hour, f**king crazy!" Baalke is like "WOOOOO PARCELLS, f**k YEAH....gotta go workout" and Tomsula is like "Man, this was so much easier in Europe."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
WHere?? Lynch? He wouldn't start for 20 teams across the NFL and yet he's our lone bright spot on defense lol. Boreland was undersized with BAD SHOULDERS coming out of Wisconsin and 31 other teams KNEW this but Baalke picked him anyway. Marcus Martin is straight up trash especially as a HIGH 3rd rounder and Brandon Thomas 3rd rounder cannot even beat out street Junky Jordan Devey?? Yeah thats some great draft there.

Haha....Borland, 100 tackles in 9 games, yep he doesn't belong in the NFL. I'm not detailing this thread and arguing with you. It's bad practices to make definitive statements on drafts without giving them time to play out.

Well is he here now? What good are stats especially if you spend the #77 overall pick on a player that gave you one season?
Not defending Baalke here but that is the dumbest statement I have read today and I have read a lot of dumb ones. So Baalke and other GM's should now have ESP or a 900 # for their own personal readings.

Originally posted by MadMark:
Very well stated Phoenix.

This
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I think that philosophy has to start at the top and work its way down, with someone making sure that everyone is on the same page. Right now there is no philosophy at the top, there really hasn't been one. "I think we're going to run the ball" is not a philosophy.

York is like "well, Bill Walsh once gave me a $1 for the soda machine so I think I know what he'd do i this situation. Marathe is like "I once made Bain $100 million in a single hour, f**king crazy!" Baalke is like "WOOOOO PARCELLS, f**k YEAH....gotta go workout" and Tomsula is like "Man, this was so much easier in Europe."

Agree, it definitely starts at the top. This is on York. The current structure is not working. They bungled this situation badly. Something needs to be done, and it's on him to bring in the right people to fix this.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by Niners816:

Haha....Borland, 100 tackles in 9 games, yep he doesn't belong in the NFL. I'm not detailing this thread and arguing with you. It's bad practices to make definitive statements on drafts without giving them time to play out.

Well is he here now? What good are stats especially if you spend the #77 overall pick on a player that gave you one season?
Not defending Baalke here but that is the dumbest statement I have read today and I have read a lot of dumb ones. So Baalke and other GM's should now have ESP or a 900 # for their own personal readings.

Yep. Quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever seen written. Apparently a good GM would have known that Borland would have retired after one all pro season.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Fire the whack GM. That is a start.

And who hires his replacement? Right now that would be Jed and Marathe. How high is your confidence that they can properly evaluate a GM candidate? Especially for an ownership that is one of the most insulated in the league. What if said GM candidate blows, which is more likely than not since neither Jed, John, Denise nor Marathe have shown they have any sort of insight into what a well-running football organization and front office looks like. Now you're back in the same place, with the same people picking a new GM and likely a new head coach in a few years, repeating the process once more.

I'm all about ending the musical chair routine, putting someone in charge that can make decisions like firing and hiring a GM with the benefit of a strong football management resume.

This right here is what makes me soil my pants... I have zero confidence in anything football related that the Yorks or Parag have their fingerprints on. While I've slowly soured on Baalke, I look at other teams that have been bad for the last few years and know that it can get worse. And with York's hand on the chicken switch, it's almost like guaranteeing it will get worse with HIS next new hire.
Isn't Marathe deeply respected as a $$$/analytics guy? And you have to at least try to get a better GM, find some young up and comer, a scouting director or director of player personnel, whatever you gotta do. Hope they luck into something.
Originally posted by Pollyanna:
Blah blah blah. A bad GM HAS CRIPPLED THE FRANCHISE! All th points you make protray Baalke as a victim.

If he's a victim, then he's a weak GM. His system of choosing players is putting a bunch of serviceable role players at best, or talent lacking backups on the field. His inability to negotiate game changing trades is obvious. Why keep him at all except maube to scout LBs?

No good coah is coming here while he is the weak tit GM. It starts with him

Once again, take the time to read through what I wrote. The problems this franchise have go beyond the GM or the HC and I hope that the ownership can see that, because if they think the way you do, they'll be hiring a new GM and HC.....and then repeating the process just a few years down the road.

You can criticize Baalke, but what makes you think that this ownership is capable of bringing in a competent GM in their current state. Why would a top GM candidate want to work for this team right now.

The answer is that they wouldn't. York and Marathe don't have credibility, the solution that I offered is that they bring in people from the outside to identify someone who does. And then you let that person choose the GM and help in a HC search. That person acts as a buffer, someone that "steadies the ship" and let the coach and GM do their thing without having ownership all over them.
Share 49ersWebzone