LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

The key to fixing the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Hyde?? Running Backs are a dime a dozen nowdays if you havn't noticed. Shoot the Seahawks have some street free agent named Rawls even Balling behind a total crap offensive line.

Hyde ranked at the top 10 of rushing yards during many weeks while playing with an injured foot and a poor O-line.
Originally posted by Pollyanna:
Blah blah blah. A bad GM HAS CRIPPLED THE FRANCHISE! All th points you make protray Baalke as a victim.

If he's a victim, then he's a weak GM. His system of choosing players is putting a bunch of serviceable role players at best, or talent lacking backups on the field. His inability to negotiate game changing trades is obvious. Why keep him at all except maube to scout LBs?

No good coah is coming here while he is the weak tit GM. It starts with him

Once again, take the time to read through what I wrote. The problems this franchise have go beyond the GM or the HC and I hope that the ownership can see that, because if they think the way you do, they'll be hiring a new GM and HC.....and then repeating the process just a few years down the road.

You can criticize Baalke, but what makes you think that this ownership is capable of bringing in a competent GM in their current state. Why would a top GM candidate want to work for this team right now.

The answer is that they wouldn't. York and Marathe don't have credibility, the solution that I offered is that they bring in people from the outside to identify someone who does. And then you let that person choose the GM and help in a HC search. That person acts as a buffer, someone that "steadies the ship" and let the coach and GM do their thing without having ownership all over them.
Wel you made the thread and you mentioned keeping Baalke so it would be STATUS QUO

Once again, I didn't say anything about the status quo. I said that you hire someone with the judgment and experience to run the team and then THEY get to decide who stays and who goes, period.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 1, 2015 at 3:46 PM ]
WHere?? Lynch? He wouldn't start for 20 teams across the NFL and yet he's our lone bright spot on defense lol. Boreland was undersized with BAD SHOULDERS coming out of Wisconsin and 31 other teams KNEW this but Baalke picked him anyway. Marcus Martin is straight up trash especially as a HIGH 3rd rounder and Brandon Thomas 3rd rounder cannot even beat out street Junky Jordan Devey?? Yeah thats some great draft there.

Haha....Borland, 100 tackles in 9 games, yep he doesn't belong in the NFL. I'm not detailing this thread and arguing with you. It's bad practices to make definitive statements on drafts without giving them time to play out.
Originally posted by Niners816:
WHere?? Lynch? He wouldn't start for 20 teams across the NFL and yet he's our lone bright spot on defense lol. Boreland was undersized with BAD SHOULDERS coming out of Wisconsin and 31 other teams KNEW this but Baalke picked him anyway. Marcus Martin is straight up trash especially as a HIGH 3rd rounder and Brandon Thomas 3rd rounder cannot even beat out street Junky Jordan Devey?? Yeah thats some great draft there.

Haha....Borland, 100 tackles in 9 games, yep he doesn't belong in the NFL. I'm not detailing this thread and arguing with you. It's bad practices to make definitive statements on drafts without giving them time to play out.

Well is he here now? What good are stats especially if you spend the #77 overall pick on a player that gave you one season?
It sucks....we flushed our identity in 2002 by letting the WCO walk out the building. IMO, the single most important thing a football team is an identity and philosophy to fall back on when times are tough. You let it guide your hires and personnel decisions. This is the one thing I will never forgive the Yorks for.

Just one of the many things that this team lacks. I think they are at a critical juncture here where if they hire a good executive to oversee things, they could hire a quality head coach and make significant inroads to getting this team back to winning but the ownership has to play ball for that to happen. But as long as you have the Yorks and Marathe making the football-related decisions, hiring people, I don't have any faith that this team is going anywhere anytime soon.

Borland may have bad shoulders but he had +100 tackles starting 8 games and playing 14 in his rookie season so he is not a bad player.
[ Edited by joaosoarrs99 on Nov 1, 2015 at 3:46 PM ]
Great post. I honestly don't care who they bring in at this point. We haven't had a consistent passing game in a long time outside of part of the 2012 season. Still no pass rush. Still no oline that can pass block and still very little successful draft picks.

Bring someone else in who is willing to change the philosophy around here. Yes we had a great formula for 3 years but as good as it was and as great as our roster was, we came away with our first Super Bowl loss in franchise history and nothing else is really worth mentioning.

We need to get away from this 2-gapping on defense and might as well switch to a 4-3 as we aren't in a traditional 3-4 very often. We have cap space and a load of draft picks, why not see what someone else can do with that?
Well is he here now? What good are stats especially if you spend the #77 overall pick on a player that gave you one season?

Again point is, the GM found a guy a 77 that played like the best LB in the draft. Funny he did the same thing when he drafted Bowman in the 3rd in 2010.

Seriously Baalke isn't perfect, but he's also not the piece of s**t people make him out to be.
Who picks this individual that makes all the calls on the GM, coaches, etc? I don't see a huge difference between York picking someone to pick the GM and York picking the GM himself...

And if the next GM fails, do we then hire someone else to hire another GM? It would be nice to have someone running the show, but I have no confidence in our ability to pick the right person to run the show.

Originally posted by Sims19849ers:. We have cap space and a load of draft picks, why not see what someone else can do with that?

Primarily why I said that they are at a critical juncture. If they handle this right, this can be a winning team again fairly shortly, if they blow, it might be a decade in the wilderness. Before looking at anything else, they need to hire someone who can run the football operations. That to me is Step 1. Step 2 is that person determining who the GM will be. Step 3 is finding a head coach and having ALL of those people on the same page in terms of their overall football philosophy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It sucks....we flushed our identity in 2002 by letting the WCO walk out the building. IMO, the single most important thing a football team is an identity and philosophy to fall back on when times are tough. You let it guide your hires and personnel decisions. This is the one thing I will never forgive the Yorks for.

Just one of the many things that this team lacks. I think they are at a critical juncture here where if they hire a good executive to oversee things, they could hire a quality head coach and make significant inroads to getting this team back to winning but the ownership has to play ball for that to happen. But as long as you have the Yorks and Marathe making the football-related decisions, hiring people, I don't have any faith that this team is going anywhere anytime soon.

Hiring a competent executive translates to Jed having to relinquish power. From everything you know about that kid, do you even think that is remotely possible? I don't.

Again point is, the GM found a guy a 77 that played like the best LB in the draft. Funny he did the same thing when he drafted Bowman in the 3rd in 2010.

Seriously Baalke isn't perfect, but he's also not the piece of s**t people make him out to be.

Dude 32nd ranked offense and 32nd ranked defense LOL there are only 32 teams in the NFL last time I checked LOL.
So Phoenix you condone keeping Baalke?? LOL that is a total FAIL right there. Have you been watching for the LAST 4 years since the 2012 NFL Draft that none close to NONE of Baalke's draftees have done DIDDLY POO

Who has consistently done better? Baalke has drafted good football players with 6 of his 7 first rounders. That's well above the 50% bust rate in the first round. He's done very well in FA every year but this one. No GM in football could have salvaged this roster with all of the late departures.
Clean house management , coaches and have a fire sale on players before the trading deadline. This is a total rebuild.
Share 49ersWebzone