49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 612 users in the forums

Game #6: The Good- Bad- Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
There's no "definitely" about it. NY Giants and Baltimore have the crappiest defenses. That's the biggest reason for the points scored. Our defenses give up the short middle passes because when we played honest, we got burned by Ben R. about five times for massive plays. So Mangini has tried both approaches, and this is what the "talent" supplies. Baalke is at best an average GM. We have at best average talent and at best average coaches. That's why we are 2-4.

We can probably just agree to disagree. I see talent, and I see a coaching staff struggling to use that talent effectively. I think Baalke/York wanted to keep Fangio but he may have been offended by not getting the HC position. Given his results with the Bears, that may have been a prudent decision.

I really think Baalke is at minimum an above average GM. The current coaching staff is probably average and I'd agree with you there. I do think another year is warranted with this staff before we start demanding a change. This team is reloading/reorganizing and no team really stays on top for long.

The team has shown flashes, and I'm pretty excited to see what the future has in store. I hope you are too
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great comments guys. I think we need to stay aggressive & attacking on offense. Defensively we have got to do something different to stop teams on this stuff in the middle of the field.

Passes to the middle of the field for a QB are the easiest ones to make...esp. at that short-intermediate range (best accuracy). Someone chart the completions out. We have to be giving up a 75% completion rate in the middle of the field at that range.

I think up until last week bowman had allowed something rediculous like 21-21 completions in the middle of the field against who he was covering according to PFF. But it's not just bowman, it's wilhoite, Tartt, Bethea, Reid. Our safeties certainly aren't helping the cause either right now.

Man, if that doesn't scream 100% scheme I don't know what does.
I just saw video of the field collapsing under tuckers weight on the missed fg. Wtf was that
Originally posted by NCommand:
Man, if that doesn't scream 100% scheme I don't know what does.

I think THL and Johnny have done a very good job covering that. There are some scheme issues the team is sorting out to be sure. Bowman probably isn't the game changer he was pre-injury, but he's still a linebacker any team would kill to have on their team.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but this team really does have talent, and young talent at that. But the team is in a transition period as these young guys start to get playing time. I like what I see overall despite the mishaps here and there. As I've said, Ward and Tartt look like legit players and guys that will shore up this secondary as time goes on. Tartt probably replaces Bethea next year and Ward is starting to prove his chops.

And let's not forget how good Hyde looks at times. He's going to be a key cog in this offense for years to come.
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
I just saw video of the field collapsing under tuckers weight on the missed fg. Wtf was that

start of a sinkhole
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
I just saw video of the field collapsing under tuckers weight on the missed fg. Wtf was that

Home field advantage...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thanks dude...yeah, covered that in my Ugly points. Sooooooo

It's pretty much playing Prevent-A-Win-Defense all game long. And as soon as guys start to get tired in the second half, the flood gates open esp. if the offense goes to a hurry up where we can't substitute.

I keep thinking an offense like New England's would absolutely shred this defense. It's pretty soft and unorganized. As much as I disliked Harbaugh, him and Fangio ran an absolutely phenomenal defense. Harbaugh is showing is defensive chops with Michigan too. If only he could have put together a dominating offense too...

In any case, I'm happy to see progress. This team will likely need at least a season to completely gel after all the turnover (which honestly should have been expected). Kap is a good QB who may not be a hall of famer, but he's definitely good enough to keep a team competitive. It was nice to see some explosive shots to Torrey and Boldin. That's Kap's strong suit and it needs to be a more focal point of the offense.

Sorry, but I'd say BAALKE and FANGIO were an excellent defensive duo...a perfect pair...Baalke could find dudes off the streets such as Cromartie, Brock, TJE, Fadden, Moody, etc. and Fangio, Tomsula, Leavitt and Donatell could coach the sh!t out of them and remain a top 5 defense every year no matter who had to play.

Harbaugh had zero to do with the defense as confirmed by Fangio himself. But yeah, Harbaugh can pick some good DC's!

Suddenly, you change DC's in SF and we're 31st. Suddenly, you take Baalke's personnel out of the mix and Fangio's defense has given up the most points in the NFL (179 through just 6 games).

Together, they were a very good marriage...that was a lose-lose for everyone.
Well said and on point too
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great comments guys. I think we need to stay aggressive & attacking on offense. Defensively we have got to do something different to stop teams on this stuff in the middle of the field.

that would require a NEW DC,once again our pass-rushers are 50 yds down the field covering WRs, really Manjeanie?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Me either. I don't watch college...that's amateur hour. LOL. But I heard they had 3-4 shutouts?

Really like your points, man!

Haha I don't post as much as you die hards, but you can bet I follow a lot of these threads extremely closely. Especially THL's/johnnydel's coaches tape review. Incredibly insightful analysis there.

But Harbaugh is coaching his mind out at Michigan. I thought it would take minimum 2 years to get things together but he's doing an incredible job out there. If he doesn't have a hand in that defense, whoever is the DC there needs some props.

But back to this game, I really like what the Niners did today. There was a lot to be excited about and some things that surely need work. The lack of pass rush is alarming, but Lynch looks like a legit player out there. He may not be the dominate force Aldon was, be he's playing within the scheme and making plays. I love it. If the Niners can get a guy opposite him that is a real threat, this front seven becomes absolutely dominant.

I don't think we should expect a playoff season this year unfortunately, but I think we can expect a team that starts to come together as the year goes on and a team that shows big promise. Ward and Tartt seem to becoming real players in the secondary. That's exciting. The line seems to be coming together, especially with Tiller in but I'll leave that analysis to THL/johnnydel. Overall I'm happy with this game despite the fact I thought it would be a pretty automatic win. The Ravens are just a shadow of what they were years ago and Flacco isn't a fantastic QB.

Yeah, in 2-3 more years, that team will be all Harbaugh's (his own recruits). I think he'll be great there, personally.

But anyhow, you need to post more!

There's no automatic wins in the NFL. The Ravens were favored in this game.
I'm still more afraid of our defense than I am our offense I pretty much expect to see the opting team score on our D everytime they get out there
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sorry, but I'd say BAALKE and FANGIO were an excellent defensive duo...a perfect pair...Baalke could find dudes off the streets such as Cromartie, Brock, TJE, Fadden, Moody, etc. and Fangio, Tomsula, Leavitt and Donatell could coach the sh!t out of them and remain a top 5 defense every year no matter who had to play.

Harbaugh had zero to do with the defense as confirmed by Fangio himself. But yeah, Harbaugh can pick some good DC's!

Suddenly, you change DC's in SF and we're 31st. Suddenly, you take Baalke's personnel out of the mix and Fangio's defense has given up the most points in the NFL (179 through just 6 games).

Together, they were a very good marriage...that was a lose-lose for everyone.

Who is Harbaugh's DC at Michigan? Sorry I don't follow college ball too closely. I just know he's coaching a pretty damn solid defense over there. I know Harbaugh was billed as an "offensive" coach but after watching him more and more, he seems to lean incredibly heavily on a stout defense. That's not necessarily a knock, just kind of opposite of what he's billed as.

Baalke has definitely assembled a talented team, it's just not completely coming to fruition this year. The more I sit back and just take it in the more I think this coaching staff may need one more year. The talent is there, it just needs an adjusting period perhaps.
There's no "definitely" about it. NY Giants and Baltimore have the crappiest defenses. That's the biggest reason for the points scored. Our defenses give up the short middle passes because when we played honest, we got burned by Ben R. about five times for massive plays. So Mangini has tried both approaches, and this is what the "talent" supplies. Baalke is at best an average GM. We have at best average talent and at best average coaches. That's why we are 2-4.

Thanks for clearing that up for us Paul. Here I was thinking that a new scheme along with a new coaching staff might be cause for concern. I thought that it may take half the season for things to begin to click for the players and coaches. However you have cleared that up. Well done sir!
[ Edited by eastie on Oct 18, 2015 at 8:49 PM ]
Good news. Kilgore, Simpson, and Smelter are all able to return Tuesday

I hope Devey is cut and White goes to the PS. I'm not sure who goes for Smelter
Originally posted by NCommand:
Man, if that doesn't scream 100% scheme I don't know what does.

Pass rush ain't what it was in the past. QB's can practically knit and sow back there while dumping it off on a slant to a WR or RB. Pass rush makes everyone look all pro, look what happened to Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Cox when they left here...
The Good- Shareece Wright is a Raven.
Tory Smith and Anquan Boldin are a good tandem
Bruce Miller can catch and run too!
Patton showed up in a good way
Old reliable-Phil Dawson
Kap-looking like Kap

The Bad- How many times are they gonna run poor Hyde right into the teeth of the Ravens line.
Vernon who?
The defense
This win felt about as the same as last weeks loss, both games could have gone either way

The Ugly - Pleeeease fix the red zone offense.
Going for a 2 point conversion when they can't usually get into the end zone in the first place
Patton is terrible, he caught a pass because the CB who sucks fell down. Please cut him for smelter
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone