Not even jesus could throw behind this o line. Its going to be a long season. I really wish it wasn't, but I'm thinking 5 wins tops. our schedule is brutal. This year is about playing the young guys to see what we have.... some will have to pan out and be good no?
I like Jimmy T, but am not sold on the rest of the staff and he has definitely been handed a reality check. Lets see how they all gel (if at all) one game at a time.
as for Kap - I hate to say it because i want to see more and he's also a good kid, but i don't think Kap is the answer. Its hard to judge when he has zero time to throw, but then we are talking about damaged goods.
If we have a top 5 pick as i suspect...well i don't know jack about college....any franchise caliber qb expected to be in the draft next year?
There are 743 users in the forums
Do Not Push the Big Red "Panic Button" ... Yet.
Sep 29, 2015 at 12:42 PM
- Cisco0623
- Veteran
- Posts: 14,595
Sep 29, 2015 at 12:47 PM
- dj43
- Moderator
- Posts: 38,437
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
If they get blown out again. . . Could become tempting
It probably will be for some, maybe many, but that would be wrong considering who the next opponent it.
KC has a better defense than we do and they gave up 38. Expect the same or more. Be frustrated, however, at this point in the season Green Bay and Arizona look like odds-on contenders to play in the NFCC game. They are both big, powerful and fast teams.
Hitting the red button may be tempting but don't do it. Likely a few personnel changes but it is going to take another 4-6 games, IMO, for this new group to begin to gel and look like a good football team.
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM
- Kingpin
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,485
Nice post, OnTheClock. I love optimism.
What does next year look like? Who should we start paying attention to?
What does next year look like? Who should we start paying attention to?
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:19 PM
- trooper49
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,568
We have the talent to be competitive. This is on Tomsula. Is the last game a fluke? If not and we continue to be a joke, Tomsula won't make it through the season. I expect us to improve and Tomsula given a second year. But any more performances like last week..........
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:29 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by 9moon:
What's wrong with giving Gabby a chance??
Have you not seen Kaeppi's play lately??
The guy keeps proving me (by now u should also been convinced) that he can not be a bonafide QB in the league... he can't read defenses for CRAP.. he's an awesome athlete, but he's not a PRO QB.. he may give u a game here and there, but that's about it..
he will out run defenses once he's out there, but he couldn't scramble for his life either.. his inability to go from OPTION ONE to OPTION 3 with his PITCHING ARM is the real reason why he makes our OL looks sorry..
Really?
He played poorly in one game.
Historically...
Kap has a career 89.1 QB rating. 52 TDs, 25 INTs. His QB rating for this season PRIOR to this past game was 98.
Gabbert has a career 66.8 QB rating. 23 TDs, 24 INTs.
Perspective people. Perspective.
In 1999, his final year in the NFL and prior to getting injured, Steve Young posted a 14.3 QB rating in week one...WORSE than Kap last week.
I don't know that Kap is magically going to be better, but the dude had the worst game of his career. Can we stop acting like that was a typical performance? The 4 picks he threw represent one more than he threw in all of 2012, half of what he threw in 2013 and 4/10s of what he threw in 2014. The guy is NOT a turnover machine. He had a really, really, REALLY bad day. Just chill a bit.
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:49 PM
- OnTheClock
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 38,590
Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by NorthBay49er:If they get blown out again. . . Could become tempting
It probably will be for some, maybe many, but that would be wrong considering who the next opponent it.
KC has a better defense than we do and they gave up 38. Expect the same or more. Be frustrated, however, at this point in the season Green Bay and Arizona look like odds-on contenders to play in the NFCC game. They are both big, powerful and fast teams.
Hitting the red button may be tempting but don't do it. Likely a few personnel changes but it is going to take another 4-6 games, IMO, for this new group to begin to gel and look like a good football team.
Agree with this. Every game we've had so far this year is against a team currently with a winning record. Two of those three are elite teams who were in the playoffs last year. Green Bay is no different. Good chance we get scorched? Yeah, probably. But I think the offense should be better at least (Would love to see some hot routes implemented).
Overall, I don't think we'll have a great idea what this team can really do until we get closer to mid-season.
Sep 29, 2015 at 2:19 PM
- 9ersLiferInChicago
- Veteran
- Posts: 11,274
Originally posted by OnTheClock:A lot of people keep telling fans to "don't panic", but people have really good reasons why, and I think too many (perhaps not you) are just overlooking them. How long was this team in the dark ages post Steve Young? You used the term "adjustment period", which is an accurate term. . . . . . ALREADY?????. . . . . Three games into the season and there's already a need to make major adjustments. And people wonder why some have hit the panic button. Forget the bad performance, that alone screams real trouble! And I don't think stating that is hitting the panic button. If major adjustments are needed already that means that the initial plan was simply garbage, as evidenced by the last two games and opposing defensive players stating how easy our offense is to diagnose.
At three games in, people are clearly already hitting the panic button, and why? Well, it's no secret that it's because of the severity of the last two losses. Two close losses wouldn't have garnered such a reaction, we know that. This team is in a major adjustment period, we know that as well. I expected growing pains, but didn't think they'd be this bad either. The good thing is, losing by 1 point instead of by 40 doesn't give you bonus points in the standings. We can correct the issues and as long as we find ways to win more games than we lose, we're OK.
The pundits will talk. Let them talk. The players with jaw. Let them jaw. The media will twist. Let 'em twist. It won't change anything.
All that matters is we find a way to adjust. Use what people think they know about us to our advantage. You can still be a running team with its own identity but be a team that is smart about the way it operates in those different facets of the game. We're supposed to be playing to players' strengths right now, but by my observation (and many others) it's not happening on defense. That does need to be corrected. On offense, it's been either A) Kaepernick is not doing his job, and/or B) The entire right side of the line and Marcus Martin in the middle faltering mightily. That has hurt us in both the pass and the running game.
JT is a rookie HC. He's adjusting also. We have no idea after three games if HE can rebound. It sucks, but it's a learning experience for him too. He hasn't been a HC since 10 years ago in NFL Europe. Some things I'm sure translate, but there's a lot I'm sure he's going figuring out as he acclimates to the new role. I am extremely impatient. I can't help it. But I'm not going to call for his firing if we have a bad season. I'm sorry, but that's extremely unreasonable considering ALL the circumstances collectively. The way we started the season in Week One means there is some hope.
I'm as distressed and as upset as everyone else. My blood has been boiling the past couple of weeks, but after the smoke clears and the blood pressure goes down later, I settle into at least some level of understanding and willingness to wait. I hope most fans would do the same.
They should, for now.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for Jimmie T's job. I understand he's a rookie and was handed whats now obviously a sh!t sandwich to turn into a footlong Philly cheese steak. And speaking for myself my expectations remained sky-high going into the season. But I'm looking at this and seeing that major adjustments, not small tweaks, are needed to maybe turn this thing around, and for me that's alarming.
So here's my question (and I don't ask this facetiously):
Considering that - among other things - I watched three straight games, for example, of the right side of our line just getting owned with NO signs of getting better, our defense shredded most convincingly, our coaches opting to run Hyde into the dirt, and opposing defenses basically having printing our playbook that's been dummied down for our franchise QB, by what metric is a fan like myself (who's getting very close to pushing that panic button) suppose to use to substantiate a positive outlook on this season?
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Sep 29, 2015 at 2:20 PM ]
Sep 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM
- OnTheClock
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 38,590
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:A lot of people keep telling fans to "don't panic", but people have really good reasons why, and I think too many (perhaps not you) are just overlooking them. How long was this team in the dark ages post Steve Young? You used the term "adjustment period", which is an accurate term. . . . . . ALREADY?????. . . . . Three games into the season and there's already a need to make major adjustments. And people wonder why some have hit the panic button. Forget the bad performance, that alone screams real trouble! And I don't think stating that is hitting the panic button. If major adjustments are needed already that means that the initial plan was simply garbage, as evidenced by the last two games and opposing defensive players stating how easy our offense is to diagnose.Originally posted by OnTheClock:At three games in, people are clearly already hitting the panic button, and why? Well, it's no secret that it's because of the severity of the last two losses. Two close losses wouldn't have garnered such a reaction, we know that. This team is in a major adjustment period, we know that as well. I expected growing pains, but didn't think they'd be this bad either. The good thing is, losing by 1 point instead of by 40 doesn't give you bonus points in the standings. We can correct the issues and as long as we find ways to win more games than we lose, we're OK.
The pundits will talk. Let them talk. The players with jaw. Let them jaw. The media will twist. Let 'em twist. It won't change anything.
All that matters is we find a way to adjust. Use what people think they know about us to our advantage. You can still be a running team with its own identity but be a team that is smart about the way it operates in those different facets of the game. We're supposed to be playing to players' strengths right now, but by my observation (and many others) it's not happening on defense. That does need to be corrected. On offense, it's been either A) Kaepernick is not doing his job, and/or B) The entire right side of the line and Marcus Martin in the middle faltering mightily. That has hurt us in both the pass and the running game.
JT is a rookie HC. He's adjusting also. We have no idea after three games if HE can rebound. It sucks, but it's a learning experience for him too. He hasn't been a HC since 10 years ago in NFL Europe. Some things I'm sure translate, but there's a lot I'm sure he's going figuring out as he acclimates to the new role. I am extremely impatient. I can't help it. But I'm not going to call for his firing if we have a bad season. I'm sorry, but that's extremely unreasonable considering ALL the circumstances collectively. The way we started the season in Week One means there is some hope.
I'm as distressed and as upset as everyone else. My blood has been boiling the past couple of weeks, but after the smoke clears and the blood pressure goes down later, I settle into at least some level of understanding and willingness to wait. I hope most fans would do the same.
They should, for now.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for Jimmie T's job. I understand he's a rookie and was handed whats now obviously a sh!t sandwich to turn into a footlong Philly cheese steak. And speaking for myself my expectations remained sky-high going into the season. But I'm looking at this and seeing that major adjustments, not small tweaks, are needed to maybe turn this thing around, and for me that's alarming.
So here's my question (and I don't ask this facetiously):
Considering that - among other things - I watched three straight games, for example, of the right side of our line just getting owned with NO signs of getting better, our defense shredded most convincingly, our coaches opting to run Hyde into the dirt, and opposing defenses basically having printing our playbook that's been dummied down for our franchise QB, by what metric is a fan like myself (who's getting very close to pushing that panic button) suppose to use to substantiate a positive outlook on this season?
It's perfectly fair to admit that there are a number of reasons to be alarmed. However, I think there are just as many if not more to look at and say, "well, it could definitely go this way as well."
First, the circumstances: These bolster the "understanding" aspect of where we're at currently
- All the retirements of stars/all-pros -- some more sudden than others -- plus FA losses, arrests. and release of Aldon Smith
- New coaches, new systems on both offense and defense, new blocking schemes
- Rookie HC
Second, looking forward:
- Bush, Ellington, and McDonald all likely come back from injury this week. We'll see what the offense looks like with them back.
- Kilgore gets back in a few weeks, he will most certainly bolster the OL. This puts Martin and/or Devey on the bench.
- Easton was acquired for a reason, he may get his shot soon. Could he be much worse than Martin?
- As the season moves along, Trenton Brown and Brandon Thomas get more practice time -- perhaps they could earn starts.
- As the season moves along, the more our defense gels.
- Our four opponents in weeks 5-8 currently have a combined record of 3-9 right now.
Sep 29, 2015 at 3:09 PM
- MC9BEAT
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,173
Maybe it's not panic time but it has left a very disgusting taste in the mouth of the fans. It also makes you half to wonder if maybe showing Harbaugh the door wasn't the brightest idea and maybe Tomsula wasn't the right man for the job. If we had to let Harbaugh go we could have brought someone else in to be HC and OC and maybe been able to keep Fangio as DC or even considered giving the HC job to Fangio.
We were 8-8 last year when we led the league in games missed by players and should have been 9-7 after being robbed in the Rams game by bad officiating and supposedly that was completely unacceptable and Harbaugh and Fangio had to go. So we will see what York has to say after the Packer game.
We were 8-8 last year when we led the league in games missed by players and should have been 9-7 after being robbed in the Rams game by bad officiating and supposedly that was completely unacceptable and Harbaugh and Fangio had to go. So we will see what York has to say after the Packer game.
Sep 29, 2015 at 3:15 PM
- nj9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,783
Ok I won't hit it yet but if we go 1-5- I'm trading Vernon Davis and Ahmad Brooks first chance I get. I may even give Ray Rice a call cause Mike Davis is terrible. Also I get it was one real bad game but Kap will never be a QB that throws for 4000 yards and 25+ TD which is the QB you need when your defense cant stop anybody.
Sep 29, 2015 at 3:29 PM
- Oakland-Niner
- Member
- Posts: 24,062
Originally posted by RishikeshA:Should i start paying closer attention to the 2016 draft? Or should i root for us not to get blown out and be happy with a morale lifting close loss.
I'm not big on moral victories. Years of mediocrity and status quo is far worst then one season of disaster. At this point I'm looking for individual player development. And unless our coaching staff can show they might be the answer, I'd rather lose so Jed is forced to fire them. What I don't want is a 5 win season and the current staff brought back on a hope and a prayer. Based on the last two games, we look 0-16 Detroit Lions bad.
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM
- stonecold590
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,384
This is the worst opponent to have to play after the past 2 weeks. It will not be pretty. But I'm going to wait until our bye and see how things go between now and then. There's nothing we can do at this point anyway
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:34 PM
- jimrat
- Veteran
- Posts: 23,996
Gabby LOL
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:50 PM
- harkenthegoldenyears
- Veteran
- Posts: 371
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
If they get blown out again. . . Could become tempting
To say the season is lost is premature. Absolutely premature. It has looked beyond awful the past few games. But let's not ignore the fact that we beat a Minnesota team that is 2-1. Say we had beaten another team in week one, and we were playing Minnesota next week, many would be predicting disaster based on the last two games.
This team has pieces to be successful when/if things come together. I have no idea if or when that will happen this season, but I still have some hope left. For those who see a 4 win season on the horizon, well that's fine. With not getting your hopes up, at least you'd be pleasantly surprised if we did better.
But let's not act like 1-2 is an insurmountable hole. Like I said, the last two games were way worse than I ever imagined, but teams don't get bonus points if they lose close games, nor do they lose games in the standings for having horrific blowout losses. They just get trash talked more. But trash talk doesn't change the talent level of your team. Right now, BECAUSE this team is in an adjustment period, I don't expect the team to look this bad forever. At some point, things should improve -- at some point things have to improve.
It's tempting to say, "That's it. We're done." But deep down, I think most fans realize that's not something you know for sure this early, especially after considering all the circumstances and the way the crazy NFL works these days.
I grant you that it's a long season, but from what I've seen from the offense the last three games (Minnesota included) is an offensive line that is absolutely subpar, a quarterback with no confidence in that line which causes him to stare down the pass rush and a running game that has become predictable. What in the coaching adjustments has anyone confident they have the ability to turn this around? I don't want to spend every Sunday fuming over another loss, but it's hard to see this thing getting any better. I mean, I hate to say it but it appears the media pundits were right. It was just too much change too fast and we have inexperience at every level of this team, starting from the owner on down.
Sep 29, 2015 at 4:53 PM
- MRNINESEVEN
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,730
Lol i think people are hitting the pnic button for the obvious reasons. The same ones we knew about this offseason.
Being optimistic is one thing being real... Well that's what a lot are on here.
We have too many holes and had too many holes to fill.
We filled a lot of those holes with talent so less than what we had before its painful.
We are the 49ers a once proud historic franchise. No it feels like a dick slapping us in the face week n week out.
We are so identical to the riaders. Crappy ownership with a knee jerk reaction to pulling the plug on coaches.
Mooch then Harbs. Just saying since eddie d lost the reigns the yorks have so fkd this team up.
Being optimistic is one thing being real... Well that's what a lot are on here.
We have too many holes and had too many holes to fill.
We filled a lot of those holes with talent so less than what we had before its painful.
We are the 49ers a once proud historic franchise. No it feels like a dick slapping us in the face week n week out.
We are so identical to the riaders. Crappy ownership with a knee jerk reaction to pulling the plug on coaches.
Mooch then Harbs. Just saying since eddie d lost the reigns the yorks have so fkd this team up.