Originally posted by SoCold:While I admit not knowing all the ins and outs of the cap, I am seeing that cutting Brooks would have resulted in $5.5 dead cap. Signing Skuta and keeping him on the roster (why else would you sign him) would have cost somewhere around $4 since that's what JAX offered him.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by thl408:
If Aldon, Lynch, and Brooks were all on the current roster, yeah, Brooks is a backup. I know I had high hopes for Lynch to overtake Brooks on the depth chart during the past offseason. But if you are referring to my post above, no, I am referring to Skuta as a backup because that's what he would have been - behind Aldon and Lynch. If you think Skuta is better than Lynch and Aldon...lol we done here.
Why would I think that? They were never part of the cono. This was about keeping Skuta and cutting Brooks.
So you would have cut Brooks, ate $5.5 in dead cap, and signed Skuta to around $4 a year? That's $9 committed to the 3rd OLB spot. Again, keep in mind the timeline of events. The 49ers just signed Torrey and wanted to add more speed in Bush. I don't even know if that's correct, but the order of events was something like that.
Then Baalke added Wright and Pears. Never mind that those are bad signings, that's what Baalke wanted to do. With that in mind, he isn't going to commit that much to the 3rd string OLB spot. Justin/ADavis/Aldon/Dockett were still counting against the cap. Since you are, "just playing the what if game", that's fine, I get it. I like Skuta too and wish he was on the roster - way better than Lemonier, but it's not practical when considering the order of events.
you guys gotta get this total salary crap out of your head. Guaranteed cash is all that matters in the NFL.
The dead money would not have been that much for Brooks had they cut him before giving him his almost $2m in roster and workout bonus'. In the 49ers salary cap thread is was said the 49ers could have saved around $6-7m by cutting him.
Jag's only guaranteed Skuta just over $8m over 5 years.
Brooks will have the 2nd highest salary on the 49ers roster next year behind Kap
Still, we don't know if Skuta even wanted to come back as a 3rd OLB had the 49ers told him, "re-sign with us, we'll cut Brooks so you'll be behind Aldon and Lynch".

