LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 248 users in the forums

2nd round head scratchers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Baalke drafts BPA not for need and you are assuming he had the same values on those guy you did. Peters may not have even been on the board or dropped down due to character concerns.

Exactly, and its obvious Baalke's team needs were different then fans perceived needs. He must trust in the 4 corners he drafted last year plus the vets he has on the roster, and he must believe Wilhoite can hold up another year and Bo' will come back. I get frustrated with the draft too, but its not like this guy hasn't put talent on this team. Everyone wanted his head after the 2011 draft as well, lets try and remember how that one turned out. There are question marks, but their is no point in automatically judging this class a couple days after they were drafted, we have no clue how they will develop.
This is kind of cool. Just watching as the same folks to said "off with his head" to Harbaugh and placed all their faith in Baalke are starting to realize that Baalke is who his drafts said he is. Namely, an above average scout and below average GM. He's fear based, yet defiant. Fear of drafting the "money" positions EARLY (QB, WR, true CB (not slot)), stay in the comfort zone. Yet, while statying in that framework, insists on stretch "I know better than you" picks (e.g., every first round pick before this year, this year's second round pick, etc). Baalke's draft reflects a focus on getting to 8-8 to 10-6, not a focus on winning a championship.

In response to his drafting another OLB that will not see the field this year, he suggests a scheme change to the media, then soft peddels with a "that's for the coaches to figure out"....how to get this guy we don't need on the field. Sad to see the totally inexperienced York, craven for praise given to the uncle, betting the succuss of the franchise on this mediocre talent of a GM, and hoping somehow 5 years of drafting historical evidence was all wrong.

I go back to what I said last year, if you cut Harbaugh, there are 28-30 teams interested in his services in his current role (Head Coach). You cut, Baalke, that number is sub-5, as a GM.

York made the comfortable decision, not the right one. Now as niner fans we have bear the consequences.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by crake49:
I can't lay Taylor Mays on Baalke. I've read a number of accounts of that draft that said Baalke was mainly interested in Kam Chancellor, but Singletary was adamant that he wanted Mays.

Singletary was yelling in the war room. Looked belligerent, as he often did. Baalke gave in, which I'm sure he always regretted.

Mike was telling Trent to take Bowman in the 2nd and Trent picked Mays, lucky for us Bowman was still there in the 3rd

Oh you were there lol?

if you haven't noticed Trent is in love with drafting Safeties

2nd Rnd - Taylor Mays

3rd Rnd - Chris Culliver
6th Rnd - Colin Jones

6th Rnd - Trenton Robinson

1st Rnd - Eric Reid
3rd Rnd - Corey Lemonier

1st Rnd - Jimmie Ward

2nd Rnd - Jaquiski Tartt

He also loves turning those Safeties into CBs and LBs

THAT IS YOUR EVIDENCE FOR YOUR CLAIM? (and you do know Corey Lemonier is not a safety right?)

He was drafted as a Safety

Trent loves to turn big safeties into LB and small safeties into CB

It's science

I think you're confusing him with someone else
Originally posted by YungAce:
I can't lay Taylor Mays on Baalke. I've read a number of accounts of that draft that said Baalke was mainly interested in Kam Chancellor, but Singletary was adamant that he wanted Mays.

Singletary was yelling in the war room. Looked belligerent, as he often did. Baalke gave in, which I'm sure he always regretted.

Mike was telling Trent to take Bowman in the 2nd and Trent picked Mays, lucky for us Bowman was still there in the 3rd

Oh you were there lol?

if you haven't noticed Trent is in love with drafting Safeties

2nd Rnd - Taylor Mays

3rd Rnd - Chris Culliver
6th Rnd - Colin Jones

6th Rnd - Trenton Robinson

1st Rnd - Eric Reid
3rd Rnd - Corey Lemonier

1st Rnd - Jimmie Ward

2nd Rnd - Jaquiski Tartt

He also loves turning those Safeties into CBs and LBs

THAT IS YOUR EVIDENCE FOR YOUR CLAIM? (and you do know Corey Lemonier is not a safety right?)

He was drafted as a Safety

Trent loves to turn big safeties into LB and small safeties into CB

It's science

I think you're confusing him with someone else

Corey was DE in college converted into a linebacker.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737318/corey-lemonier
[ Edited by philosoraptor on May 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Robert:
This is kind of cool. Just watching as the same folks to said "off with his head" to Harbaugh and placed all their faith in Baalke are starting to realize that Baalke is who his drafts said he is. Namely, an above average scout and below average GM. He's fear based, yet defiant. Fear of drafting the "money" positions EARLY (QB, WR, true CB (not slot)), stay in the comfort zone. Yet, while statying in that framework, insists on stretch "I know better than you" picks (e.g., every first round pick before this year, this year's second round pick, etc). Baalke's draft reflects a focus on getting to 8-8 to 10-6, not a focus on winning a championship.

In response to his drafting another OLB that will not see the field this year, he suggests a scheme change to the media, then soft peddels with a "that's for the coaches to figure out"....how to get this guy we don't need on the field. Sad to see the totally inexperienced York, craven for praise given to the uncle, betting the succuss of the franchise on this mediocre talent of a GM, and hoping somehow 5 years of drafting historical evidence was all wrong.

I go back to what I said last year, if you cut Harbaugh, there are 28-30 teams interested in his services in his current role (Head Coach). You cut, Baalke, that number is sub-5, as a GM.

York made the comfortable decision, not the right one. Now as niner fans we have bear the consequences.

Right. Baalke was voted Executive of the Year a few years ago because he's a mediocre talent at GM. Thanks for your contribution.
I don't see how anyone can argue w/Hyde...he was simply too good to pass up and is now our #1 RB. Have you seen Tartt's video? He's a guy who came to the Senior Bowl and wowed so many NFL scouts and coaches. Don't assume he's another Taylor Mays...because he hasn't even been on the practice field yet. He's very athletic and hits like a freight train. What's not to like? Your criticism of Baalke is unrealistic...because I'll bet you could look at any GM's drafts over the past 4-5 years and find an equal number of "misses". It's an imperfect science...you win some you lose some. Had Baalke not stockpiled so much quality depth over the past few years the loss of so many vets could've been catastrophic. He's not perfect...but show me a perfect GM and I'll eat my hat. Those complaining about him not drafting a CB or an ILB need to understand he's very high on the CB's on the roster...including Reaser and Acker who didn't play in 2014. So he felt comfortable with his guys. Same thing w/ILB...they're working on an extension for Wilhoite. He signed vets Bishop & Wheeler. He has young depth in Moody & Skov. I think some of you bought into all the media hype that the Niners "had to" draft a CB and ILB. I'm pretty sure Baalke knows his team better than any analyst out there. Look at the bigger picture...there's plenty of talent on the roster and Baalke just drafted more. Why 2 TE's some ask? Look at the TE corps...other than Vernon and maybe Carrier, name another guy who's shown real receiving talent. You can't because we don't have them. Beyond that, with the speed at WR now, they should create a lot of underneath space the TE's and Boldin can exploit. The OL's solid with a healthy Kilgore at C, Brandon Thomas at LG, a healthy AD at RT, Staley and Boone. Pears gives them a vet OL who can play multiple positions. Baalke added Silberman and Brown as young depth to M. Martin, Looney, et al. I don't get the whining, I really don't.
Can people stop laying the blame for previous bad picks that Baalke has made on Singletary/Harbaugh? Jesus, the guy is the GM. He was responsible for drafting Taylor Mays and the entire 2012 draft. He was also responsible for drafting all of the good players too. You can't give the man full credit for the successes and blame others for the failures. I don't care if Singletary was screaming or if Harbaugh though James killed Stanford ... none of that should be relevant. Baalke either took players that weren't high on his board (in which case - why is he the friggin' GM) or they were the players at the top of the board and his board was simply WRONG.

The bottom line is that Baalke is not the best GM in the league. But he is far from the worst. His success rate is right about average. What I hate about Baalke, and this is just my personal take having been a fan of the Bill Walsh era and forever associating our "style" to that era, is that Baalke is a Parcells disciple, not a Walsh disciple. If it's a choice between big and fast, I'll take fast. Especially now that the physicality of the game has seriously diminished.
Right. Baalke was voted Executive of the Year a few years ago because he's a mediocre talent at GM. Thanks for your contribution.

Nice! So, no refutation of a single point I made, but reference to a 3 year old award that has recently been bestowed upon such luminaries as Bill Polian ('09) - fired 3 seasons later; Sott Pioli ('10) - fired 3 seasons later; Baalke ('11) -- 3 seasons later...allowed to fire head coach with 4 th highest winning percentage in NFL history and given full control over the franchise to stock the roster with as many soft DL projects and slow safeties as his heart can contain.

Oh, and I believe Jerry Jones won this year. So, clearly that proves anyone winning that award is an undisputable proof of otherworldly talent spotting.
Originally posted by susweel:
the entire draft was a head scratcher. TBPH

please refer to post #2 of this thread

Finding yourself in agreement with sus should prompt a re-evaluation.

while it takes a few years to truly rate a draft all of this hub bub is really pointless. Countless mock drafts and rankings all for not.

We should be talking about how the 2012 draft is helping us out right now. Oh wait it really isn't because the only player left from that draft is Joe Looney. Maybe in 2018 we can talk about how awesome Trent was in snapping up all these under the radar guys 1 or 2 or 4 rounds before they were ranked to be drafted.

All I know is a potential starting CB and ILB if not at the least solid #2 guys in case someone gets hurt is better than a lot of guys who may turn out to be backups 3 years from now.

Not to mention something these optimistic "EXPERTS" talking down to everyone that is unhappy in here seem to be forgetting..... drafting for now is drafting for the future. Its not like you are filling a need with a 30 year old overpaid FA that flames out in a year. They are all young, they are all for the future, just some players have more talent and can contribute sooner. That's why they are supposed to get drafted higher lol. Dont get me wrong i love getting a frank gore in the third round or a tom brady in the 6th but you cant be missing on your first and second rounders, they are to valuable in todays league.
^did not read

but the entire draft was a head scratcher

drafting the 11th ranked punter

drafting the 47th ranked OT

drafting two TE's and not drafting an ILB or CB

lol at going by player rankings after the first 2-3 rounds. I wonder where players like Richard Sherman, Tom Brady, Russel Wilson have to say about player rankings?

Why not draft 2 tight ends? Vernon probably won't be here next year and Vance McDonald hasn't shown anything. Go ahead and draft 2 late just to see if you hit on one.

We drafted 2 corners last year. Maybe just maybe they think they will contribute?

Have any of the "redshirt injured players for a year" picks panned out? I'm all for trying to find value with a new strategy, but it seems like the risk is too high.

Also, Bruce Miller is the poster child for the pick a player and change his position strategy, any other success stories? It seems to me we've over-deployed this strategy as well.
^did not read

I agree it was a head scratcher, but I can see some logic to it, but then I maybe wrong. Punter-possible cap maneuver, ranking of the punters usually go on only punters and avg and net avg. They don't consider ratio of hang time and distance and touchbacks, nor do they consider the side bar o fdoing kickoffs and maybe in a last minute desperation 65 yard field goal? Also, I recall people questioning when we first drafted Andy too.

I liked the second linemen pick, ST and special packages, huge load, get him running downhill on Sherman

Trent not panicking and satisfied with what we have, since the talent was there, no sense forcing it.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't see how anyone can argue w/Hyde...he was simply too good to pass up and is now our #1 RB. Have you seen Tartt's video? He's a guy who came to the Senior Bowl and wowed so many NFL scouts and coaches. Don't assume he's another Taylor Mays...because he hasn't even been on the practice field yet. He's very athletic and hits like a freight train. What's not to like? Your criticism of Baalke is unrealistic...because I'll bet you could look at any GM's drafts over the past 4-5 years and find an equal number of "misses". It's an imperfect science...you win some you lose some. Had Baalke not stockpiled so much quality depth over the past few years the loss of so many vets could've been catastrophic. He's not perfect...but show me a perfect GM and I'll eat my hat. Those complaining about him not drafting a CB or an ILB need to understand he's very high on the CB's on the roster...including Reaser and Acker who didn't play in 2014. So he felt comfortable with his guys. Same thing w/ILB...they're working on an extension for Wilhoite. He signed vets Bishop & Wheeler. He has young depth in Moody & Skov. I think some of you bought into all the media hype that the Niners "had to" draft a CB and ILB. I'm pretty sure Baalke knows his team better than any analyst out there. Look at the bigger picture...there's plenty of talent on the roster and Baalke just drafted more. Why 2 TE's some ask? Look at the TE corps...other than Vernon and maybe Carrier, name another guy who's shown real receiving talent. You can't because we don't have them. Beyond that, with the speed at WR now, they should create a lot of underneath space the TE's and Boldin can exploit. The OL's solid with a healthy Kilgore at C, Brandon Thomas at LG, a healthy AD at RT, Staley and Boone. Pears gives them a vet OL who can play multiple positions. Baalke added Silberman and Brown as young depth to M. Martin, Looney, et al. I don't get the whining, I really don't.

Good observation of these fans that are Whinning about this draft,I see this draft as a Very damn Good Draft for depth and the Future,We Got Boldin`s Replacement check,We got Bethea s Replacement check, We added another OLB who will rotate which will keep The Startin g OLBs fresh through out the year Check, like you said the 2 TEs are tough physical Guys who LOVE to Block and One is very Fast and productive, which will probably replace Celek,McDonald,,Check and the Punter who will replace Andy Lee due to the salary cap(saves Money and get the same or better results for cheaper price)check, and then there`s the 4-technique Guy(Armstead) who with training and Hard work will make a Good or even Great DE in the mold of Cowboy check.....yeah sometimes Kids Throw Fits when they don`t get WHAT THEY WANT
[ Edited by jrouter4949 on May 4, 2015 at 5:43 PM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by miked1978:
^did not read

lol at going by player rankings after the first 2-3 rounds. I wonder where players like Richard Sherman, Tom Brady, Russel Wilson have to say about player rankings?

Why not draft 2 tight ends? Vernon probably won't be here next year and Vance McDonald hasn't shown anything. Go ahead and draft 2 late just to see if you hit on one.

We drafted 2 corners last year. Maybe just maybe they think they will contribute?

Maybe you're forgetting they also have Carrier, Celek, Cleveland, with the draft picks there's 8 TE listed on the roster

After Bowman and Wilhoite I think there's a bigger need for good backups at ILB

Just think taking at least one ILB in the draft was more important than adding an 8th TE

Maybe Trent will move one of those TE to ILB
lol
Originally posted by Robert:

So why exactly did he go back to the college level? A guy with that much pride doesn't take a step back just because it's his alma mater.

I don't get why Bob Myers gets so much love for making a tough decision to get rid of Mark Jackson but somehow Baalke and York are Lucifer and Damien for getting rid of Harbaugh.
Share 49ersWebzone