I think we might see more 4-3 packages this year. Id much rather have both Dorsey and Ian Williams on the field than just one of them and Wilhoite at ILB.
Ultimately I dont know why people focus on the base defense we run. It changes based on the situation. We have probably ran more plays out of the Nickel formation than anything else over the last few years.
There are 565 users in the forums
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't believe in Wilhoite as a legit starter.
Shop Find 49ers gear online
May 3, 2015 at 3:24 PM
- Niners99
- Veteran
- Posts: 44,280
May 3, 2015 at 3:34 PM
- philosoraptor
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,318
Not everyone is going to be Willis and Bo'. Wilhoite is a solid linebacker and performed well last year, he has consistently improved every year. I believe he can be a starter for a couple years till we develop a superior player.
May 3, 2015 at 3:37 PM
- NorthBay49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 11,632
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Not everyone is going to be Willis and Bo'. Wilhoite is a solid linebacker and performed well last year, he has consistently improved every year. I believe he can be a starter for a couple years till we develop a superior player.
Someone gets it
May 3, 2015 at 4:23 PM
- Since07
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,504
What do you guys think about Tarrt lined up next to Bowman on 2nd and long plays or obvious passing situations?? Tarrt has crazy pursuit/hit power.
May 3, 2015 at 10:36 PM
- 49erChica
- Veteran
- Posts: 169
Originally posted by cciowa:wheeler is very very good and i think he is re united with his coach he had when he had a damn fine year with oakland,, i am very high on him.. we also signed two other backers. by not taking one, the niners are saying bowman is good to go and yes i respectfully disagree with the OP,, i have confidence in michael w..... we must STOP comparing him or anyone else to willis. that is very very unfair
All of this!
May 3, 2015 at 10:38 PM
- jreff22
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,409
Originally posted by xtm059:I'm not really concerned. ILB is an overrated position
What? Willis and Bowman kept the D top 5 because of what they could do.
May 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM
- pdizo916
- Member
- Posts: 38,241
im actually surprised we didn't draft a ILB and didn't sign one as a undrafted free agent...
May 4, 2015 at 1:37 AM
- REB4
- Member
- Posts: 279
If the whole defense was intact from two years ago Afrikan, we could get away with it with him in. With what we have left, with a gimpy Bowman for at least part of the season...not good. Would have said the same about Borland too if he hadn't quit.
May 4, 2015 at 4:37 AM
- Constantine
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,248
Originally posted by NinerGM:I think it's a very important topic Afrikan brings up. I'll admit I am legitimately worried about Wilhote any time he's on the field. Offenses will immediately read this and just iso their better TE on him as an option out of any running formation. They will force a matchup where he's covering someone in space which was always a big problem. However, I think ILB is very different from what we have at G and CB, particularly G where there's a near flood of talent at OG - and some people who are on the team as "projects" from years past won't make it past the first cutdown day. CB again, I think there's enough depth there to be ok and Brock was better than both CBs who left the team when healthy - and he usually is.
As far as ILB? I'm suspecting Trent has a plan for that and it's quite obvious it's a weakness there. It's just the start to a very long offseason folks. The roster is FAR from set and don't be shocked if we consider trading for a player ala Stevie Johnson. I'm being patient for now but this will absolutely be a concern going into the season.
I hope we make a trade
May 4, 2015 at 8:12 AM
- NYniner85
- Veteran
- Posts: 119,131
Originally posted by 49erLance:
I don't like saying this but its something that should be taking seriously, Bowman is now up and practicing, but that was a serious knee injury, players in the 70,s and into part of the 80s, would have retired, we hope he comes back and is just like he was when he was injured , but there's also a chance he comes back and has lost speed and just isn't the player he used to be , or the knee just doesn't react well , and he has no choice but to retire, Medicine and Drs have never been better , and I believe he will comeback and play at Pro-Bowl level, but if he doesn't we shouldn't be surprised , its not like we haven't seen it happen before, and to top it off MLB was let's say average at best talent wise in this years draft , I'll leave on mentioning this "If Willhoite was cut tomorrow or anytime in the future , there's no Gauranty any team in the NFL would pick him up" , That's another reason why we should hold on to Brooks , he can play OLB , DE , and MLB
SF has a better idea of what they are getting with Bowman then any fan...they must feel like he is gonna be fine based on the draft.
Brooks is like 270 and at this point in his career can't play ILB.
May 4, 2015 at 8:15 AM
- NYniner85
- Veteran
- Posts: 119,131
Like I told everyone this draft was not packed with a ton of day one starters IMO. I really wasn't excited at the ILBs in this draft at all. I think they are fine with Bo,MW,Moody,Wheeler,Shov,Bishop at ILB for this season.
May 4, 2015 at 8:17 AM
- NYniner85
- Veteran
- Posts: 119,131
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Not sold on him too, he's average at best.
he was a 16-game starter last season and had to run the plays once Willils got hurt. He's a fine LB and will be able to get back into his old role with Bowman back.
We were spoiled at ILB for a very long time and we sill have a studly LB group.
May 4, 2015 at 8:17 AM
- TexasNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,879
Originally posted by xtm059:
I'm not really concerned. ILB is an overrated position
Actually there is some real truth in this. If you are lucky enough to have a player like Willis/Bowman or Kuechly, then you can build around such greatness and ILB can be an anchor for your team.
However, if we are transitioning to a more standard talent distribution, then ILB traditionally is not where it pays to have the most talent or money invested in a team.
The problem is that we aren't great or better at other areas on the D either. Our HOF level ILB tandem is gone and we will see if Bowman is what he was. Wilhoite is a major step down from Bowman or even Borland. So, we have to assume we will be pretty good at best, or maybe just solid at ILB.
That would be fine if our pass rush or secondary was elite. It is not. At all. Even when he played last year, Aldon did squat. We will see what this year brings and if he's around after that. Brooks and Lynch are solid, but not a threat. We got pressure last year, but not nearly enough actual sacks or disruptions.
And our secondary is nothing but average at best CBs and safeties who are good at stopping the run, but who lack when it comes to coverage against better TEs or WRs.
If the additions of guys like AA, Tartt and Harold change some of that, and render our ILB as an area on our team that can be good, but doesn't need to be great, I'm fine with that. I'm just not sure we have the talent to make up for our losses. Regardless of if it's restocking the ILB corps, or making up for it by improving other areas of the team.
From what I see, we have, at best, remained about the same at pass rush and secondary, really just preparing for possible departures next year, AND our ILB rotation is substantially weaker.
So yes, ILB can be an overrated position and we can certainly be a great D with a good ILB corps if other areas become dominant. But I don't think we have improved other areas nearly as much as our ILB positions have declined.
May 4, 2015 at 8:28 AM
- cciowa
- Veteran
- Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by Constantine:maybe the team is going to have some camps and practice before they make any move,,. maybe they are fine with who they have and are waiting for camps and practices to see if their evaluations are correct. if they are not, they can still sign a lance briggs but i do not think it will come to that.. by not drafting a inside backer the team is telling me bowman is ok and i got no issue with michael and we signed three backers including wheeler whose best year came when his coach with oakland is now his coach here , so while it may be "obvious" to you it is a weakness,, i do not adhere to your theory
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think it's a very important topic Afrikan brings up. I'll admit I am legitimately worried about Wilhote any time he's on the field. Offenses will immediately read this and just iso their better TE on him as an option out of any running formation. They will force a matchup where he's covering someone in space which was always a big problem. However, I think ILB is very different from what we have at G and CB, particularly G where there's a near flood of talent at OG - and some people who are on the team as "projects" from years past won't make it past the first cutdown day. CB again, I think there's enough depth there to be ok and Brock was better than both CBs who left the team when healthy - and he usually is.
As far as ILB? I'm suspecting Trent has a plan for that and it's quite obvious it's a weakness there. It's just the start to a very long offseason folks. The roster is FAR from set and don't be shocked if we consider trading for a player ala Stevie Johnson. I'm being patient for now but this will absolutely be a concern going into the season.
I hope we make a trade
May 4, 2015 at 8:32 AM
- pasodoc9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 21,040
Agree with cc, exactly for reasons stated.