There are 166 users in the forums

All22 Analysis - Coverages & Concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Shout out to WRATH, jonnydel, and Niners816 for the help and future help.
  • thl408
football
Total wood thread!
Originally posted by thl408:
Slide Concept

Edit: An example of the slide concept from the 1999 Holmgren PB....better example as presented later in this thread
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 4, 2015 at 3:58 AM ]
Speedo (Z cross) concept
- Vertical stretch to sideline zone defenders
- Effective against: Cover 2 Zone, Tampa 2, Cover 3
- Progression: Go to Crosser to Flat (High to Low)

An example of the speedo concept from 1994.
Spot Concept
- Triangle stretch: vertically stretched sideline zone defender + horizontally stretched underneath zone defender
- Effective against:
- Progression: Flat - Curl - Corner

Couple of variations of the spot concept from 1994 playbook.
Triangle Stretch concept
There are countless ways to create a triangle stretch, so there is no specific route combination. The idea is to combine a horizontal stretch with a vertical stretch, and provide the QB with a triangle read in a specific area of the field. Running it from a bunched formation gives is a man coverage busting element to the route combination.

The Corner (yellow) and the Curl (orange) create a vertical stretch. The Curl and the Out (red) create a horizontal stretch.
Progression for this specific route combination: Corner - Out - Curl

Blue is vertically stretched as he is wary of the Corner route and has his hips turned upfield. Orange is horizontally stretched as he is wary of the Curl. This opens a window for the Out route to be targeted.

Blue is vertically stretched. Orange is horizontally stretched.

Bill walsh's Classic "22 Z in"(top play in diagram/picture) is a prime example of the triangle concept at work.
Trail concept
- Horizontal stretch at either LB level or safety level
- Effective against: Cover 3, Tampa 2, Cover 2 Zone
- Progression: first In route - 'Trail' route. There are no specific route combinations to use this concept - just the first route, and the route that follows the first route (Trail route).

The In route works to clear the area while the 'Trail' route (red) follows behind with the option to sit down in a quiet area between zones.

In route draws the attention of the middle deep zone defender. If the stretched defender was at the red dot, then the Trail route is not available.

vs Cover 3 (backside man to man)

The pair of routes can be ran at a depth in front of the LB level to stretch an underneath zone defender, or behind the LBs to stretch a deep zone defender. In this play, it is run behind the underneath zone defenders in order to stretch a safety.

The old hammer series of plays illustrates an example of the trail concept.
Stick concept
- Horizontal stretch on the curl/flat defender; 'Stick' route (yellow Curl) can turn into a Pivot route versus man coverage
- Effective against: Cover 3, Tampa 2, Cover 1, Cover 2
- Progression: Stick - Quick Out (Inside-Out); 3 step timing

The Go route is an 'alert' route (if there is a favorable mismatch), but is mainly a clearing route. The 'Stick' route can be run as an option Curl, Pivot, or quick Out, based on the coverage read of the WR, to run away from the leverage of the defenders in the area.

The stretched defender shades towards the quick Out. The correct throw is to the Stick, which has optioned to Curl.
If the stretched defender is at the red dot, then the correct throw would be to the quick Out route.

vs Cover 3

A couple of stick concept variations from 1994. Brent jones use to make a killing on this concept.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:

Couple of variations of the spot concept from 1994 playbook.

Thanks, 816. I will change the progression order I had for Spot. I had it as Flat, Curl (snag), Corner. Should have looked you up for the old school WCO concepts.
Crazy how much the Spot, Drive, and Smash concepts (I remember you posting the 49ers' version of Smash) all look the same the first few steps from the X and Z positions.

Smash concept
- Vertical stretch to sideline zone defender; Corner route can win versus man coverage
- Effective against: Cover 2 Zone, Cover 1 Man, Cover 3
- Progression: Corner - Curl (High to Low); 5 step timing

The sideline defender sinks in depth to cover the Corner route. The correct throw is to the Curl.
If the stretched defender came forward to the red dot to cover the Curl, then the Corner route would be open.

Versus Cover 1, the Corner route can win if it has outside leverage on the CB.

With only a cover 1 safety in the middle of the field, and the Curl route preventing the CB from sinking in depth, the Corner route has a lot of room to work.

Thanks, 816. I will change the progression order I had for Spot. I had it as Flat, Curl (snag), Corner. Should have looked you up for the old school WCO concepts.
Crazy how much the Spot, Drive, and Smash concepts (I remember you posting the 49ers' version of Smash) all look the same the first few steps from the X and Z positions.

You know, I've seen the progression you mentioned as well. I've also seen the progression as flat-spot and the corner was listed as an "alert". I think all the WCO tree guys tried to give wrinkles to some of the plays.

By 1994 the orginal Walsh offense was refined to an almost otherworldly degree of precision.

Here is drive and smash on the same page of the playbook.

Here is an example of spot looking like drive and smash to illustrate your point. Also notice how it has both the corner and flat as a potential number 1 target. This play shows how much the smash concept plays in the spot concept. This play almost illustrates it as either a smash or a spot. Of course, with Steve at qb he would have been able to take ques from the pre snap and perform the proper play.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 2, 2015 at 4:37 PM ]
  • thl408
Added a bunch of stuff and hope to fill in the rest soon.
Share 49ersWebzone