LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 121 users in the forums

All22 Analysis - Coverages & Concepts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
The reason this defense likes tall CBs is very related to what Hero said about how they are often asked to play their 1/3 column. Besides length helping to disrupt at the line, and possibly being more physical on tackles, the routes they are often asked to defend are better defended by being lengthy. Specifically speaking, the vertical routes up the sideline.

So when playing zone, it's about using length to make plays on the ball. But when asked to man up, in many situations, CBs in this scheme are manned up on WRs that are split wide and near the sideline. When a WR is lined up near the sideline like this, there are a very limited number of routes they can run (Go/Fade, Deep Out/Curl, Post) - all routes up the sideline.

We've discussed the Cover3 'Mable' call and how one CB will be playing man while everyone else on the field is playing Cover3. That CB manned up is often defending a lone WR on the weakside, split wide outside the numbers. RCB (bottom of screen) manned up while everyone else playing Cover3.
^ Good stuff thl!
Originally posted by Heroism:
yo thl lol

yo thl lol
yo thl lol

yo thl lol

But, but....I thought zone blocking doesn't work in the RZ and especially inside the 2-3 yard line.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 3, 2019 at 7:19 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
The reason this defense likes tall CBs is very related to what Hero said about how they are often asked to play their 1/3 column. Besides length helping to disrupt at the line, and possibly being more physical on tackles, the routes they are often asked to defend are better defended by being lengthy. Specifically speaking, the vertical routes up the sideline.

So when playing zone, it's about using length to make plays on the ball. But when asked to man up, in many situations, CBs in this scheme are manned up on WRs that are split wide and near the sideline. When a WR is lined up near the sideline like this, there are a very limited number of routes they can run (Go/Fade, Deep Out/Curl, Post) - all routes up the sideline.

We've discussed the Cover3 'Mable' call and how one CB will be playing man while everyone else on the field is playing Cover3. That CB manned up is often defending a lone WR on the weakside, split wide outside the numbers. RCB (bottom of screen) manned up while everyone else playing Cover3.

Very informative thank you
What happened to the pics?
  • thl408
Originally posted by communist:

Photobucket sucks. I'll look to re-do this thread during the offseason. Most of the cut ups are from Harbaugh days. It's time to update it with Kyle and Jimmy.

Photobucket sucks. I'll look to re-do this thread during the offseason. Most of the cut ups are from Harbaugh days. It's time to update it with Kyle and Jimmy.

Photobucket and TinyPic destroyed us.
Originally posted by NCommand:

It's as if I don't even exist anymore.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by NCommand:

It's as if I don't even exist anymore.

Kyle's Keeper, Leak, Dagger and yankee concepts
  • thl408
What does the red asterisk and the green # mean?
oh man. This thread is so old. I was going to update with more recent stuff but the NFL's All22 went to poo poo in 2020/21. It's back now so maybe I'll finally get around to it.
oh man. This thread is so old. I was going to update with more recent stuff but the NFL's All22 went to poo poo in 2020/21. It's back now so maybe I'll finally get around to it.

The green # is the field numbers. So on that "widen Dover" since it's from a reduced split, you want that route going around the field numbers before the in cut portion. Kinda gives it its shape.

My guess for the asterisks is that means it's a spot throw....so on Leak, the Primary is the crosser....however, If the Primary and secondary are covered you know there's a potential leak shot that could be naked but it's got to fully develop 25-30 yards down field.

Here's a sample Route page. It's has that "Dover" route which is basically Kyle's deep in. It talks about the numbers from a tight split

yea wtf bro. bring it back to life
Share 49ersWebzone