LISTEN: 49ers Drafted For Now And The Future →

There are 142 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Richburg is now the 2nd highest paid Center in the NFL. That's nuts. Only Linder (Jax) is making more.
And also think of it this way; he's only the 2nd-3rd "starter" Lynch has brought in for Kyle's O-Line. That's if you count Laken and Fusco as "starters".

My point is he's been stuck with the same guys overall. It will be interesting to see what he does early in the draft. I would love us to grab a LT at 9, even though I'm in the minority on that.

I think the mass majority of the fans could understand a T at 9 esp. if he starts out at G. I think most would prefer a trade back for the T though.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 16, 2018 at 8:43 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh heck yeah. If both Brown and Staley are at form and Richburg picks up this system quickly, those are 3 ELITE pass protectors. That alone could pay massive dividends.

But I'm with you...very worried about the two G spots at the moment.

totally agree with you. i think we can deal with joes replacement next year and i am not in the group ready to cast brown out to the 7th level of hell where the beast lives in the icy water.. we need to bring in at least 2 guards. at vet of some sort and a really really good rookie. i get we need a pass rusher at number one but i tell you. if the team gets a guard with that pick, i would be happy
Richburg is now the 2nd highest paid Center in the NFL. That's nuts. Only Linder (Jax) is making more.
And also think of it this way; he's only the 2nd-3rd "starter" Lynch has brought in for Kyle's O-Line. That's if you count Laken and Fusco as "starters".

My point is he's been stuck with the same guys overall. It will be interesting to see what he does early in the draft. I would love us to grab a LT at 9, even though I'm in the minority on that.

I think the mass majority of the fans could understand a T at 9 esp. if he starts out at G. I think most would prefer a trade back for the T though.

Yeah I agree, the only OT I think worth the #9 pick is Mike McGlichney
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

ok, off topic sort of. but you are one of the smartest posters here so i will ask. now that we have seen the madness of the quarterbacks going to other teams.. are there some qb needy teams we could trade with on draft day and thus give us a couple of extra picks or not?

That is because there isn't a single tackle worth taking at #9 or even in the Top 20 honestly. If its a terrible year for tackles in the draft, you don't force the issue.

The strength of the draft is at guard. That is where I hope they plan on going at least somewhat early.

You can find right tackles a lot later. McGlinchey is expected to go late 20's or even in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You can find right tackles a lot later. McGlinchey is expected to go late 20's or even in the 2nd round.

Really? I have seen mocks with him in like the 13-19 range.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

No way are we taking an OT that early - maybe, in the 2nd, 3rd.
Originally posted by mayo49:

No way are we taking an OT that early - maybe, in the 2nd, 3rd.

My idea was more insurance for Staley being old and Trent being in a contract year.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
LT- Joe Staley
LG- Laken Tomlinson / Billy Price Rd2
C- Weston Richburg / Erik Magnunsen
RG- Josh Garnett
RT- Trent Brown / Garry Gilliam

Just a guess, but i don't think Laken makes the cut. I think he gets beaten out by one of the several OGs we take in draft.
If there we take Nelson. (10::1 against, so not good odds). But i think Laken is going to be lucky to make the 53. If he shows remarkable improvement in OTA, TC, PS, that is different. But he has to show it to stay. We get two really good OGs in draft, and remember we got that extra 3rd rd pick ...what a great yr to have an extra 3rd. And we can keep 90 guys a long time to have a real battle over who are best OGs to keep.

Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by mayo49:
My OL post Free Agency.

LT- Staley
LG - Garnett
C - Richburg
RG - Tomlinson
RT- Brown

I could live with that. It beats what we had last season. I really am hoping Garnett lives up to his draft status. I'm also hoping we upgrade from Tomlinson either in the draft or a late FA cut.

You can?

I think a lot of the issues the middle of the line was having were coming from our Center. Richburg changes all that.

Don't forget this yr, once again , we get to keep 90 guys until really late. That gives us the perfect scenario for the battle between the two new OGs we take #20-70, unless we slop out lucky and Nelson is still there. But then we get to see a battle royal between 2 new OGs, magnus, laken, and esp Garnett. That is working out great for us.
Maybe if all you're looking at is sacks. Garoppolo was still getting leveled far too often. His highlights alone are full of moments where he gets the pass off right before he got mauled by a defensive lineman.

They still gave up far too much pressure. You don't have to be sacked to wind up getting injured. Getting driven into the ground after the ball has left your hand still hurts.

This. Garoppolo can't keep taking hits like he did last year due to the poor interior of the OL. With Richburg, the Niners have a quality C - now, the team needs some quality play at G (at least MUCH better than last year). I hear sometimes, "But Jimmy G. has such a quick release that he avoids sacks...he can make up for poor OL play." He can but you're playing with fire here considering the amount of hits he took last year after delivering the ball.
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Maybe if all you're looking at is sacks. Garoppolo was still getting leveled far too often. His highlights alone are full of moments where he gets the pass off right before he got mauled by a defensive lineman.

They still gave up far too much pressure. You don't have to be sacked to wind up getting injured. Getting driven into the ground after the ball has left your hand still hurts.

+1

Yup, QB pressures and hits were exactly the same. Sacks went down. I'm guessing Kyle had to game plan differently and add additional help via backs and tight ends in pass protection.

You do NOT want to count on your FQB masking your OL play for 16 games. He'll quickly develop all sorts of bad habits Kaepernick, Gabbert, Hoyer and BeatHard-style.

No way to emphasize this enough. Fans that don't see the beat up of JG last yr missed the boat. You cannot blow a wad , your piggy bank for disaster of $137 mil and NOT protect your investment. And Kyle and john are not stupid. They saw all those hits. Sure the ball came out but the beat down of JG was just ugly. I thot ,"man , he's going to get injured before we get him out of the 2017 season". There is just no way KS/JL do not protect him...and if that is NELSON, fantastic. If not we take two OGs (remember and extra 3rd rd pick) early to finish out the OL. And then with the longer cut down periods, the guys we still have, (Beatles gone, maybe laken too), Garnett and Magnus can battle for a starting slot. But i expect our two OGs in FA to be hot shot starters. With all the talent between #20-70, we are going to dance around and get a great OG initially, and then get the second , perhaps with extra 3rd rounder. And then i bet we get an UFA OG...or two.. besides.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 16, 2018 at 9:20 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Need to add two veterans for depth:

Center
Left Tackle

The rest can be taken care of in the draft.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
This. Garoppolo can't keep taking hits like he did last year due to the poor interior of the OL. With Richburg, the Niners have a quality C - now, the team needs some quality play at G (at least MUCH better than last year). I hear sometimes, "But Jimmy G. has such a quick release that he avoids sacks...he can make up for poor OL play." He can but you're playing with fire here considering the amount of hits he took last year after delivering the ball.

Hmm. Where did he rank in the NFL for this over the last five weeks of the season?
Share 49ersWebzone