There are 82 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:

No sidestep needed. Should have been a completion . Was a bad throw..period
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
LOL nah, really does depend on the team and you don't need this mythical elite OL to do basic NFL stuff. I know we're not used to seeing it because we've historically had issues with PP. Again, let's just be #16 on many of the stats and this offense becomes more consistent. True a QB can be responsible for pressure but most times it's the OL.

TB had one of the worst OL in the NFL last yr (22nd in PP according to football outsiders). Only change was RT and now they're one of the best? I'm pretty sure Tom Brady helped a little with that lol.

Clean pockets aren't the norm in the NFL, just not...your QB needs to perform under pressure, they need to know defensive schemes and where pressure is coming from. Manning/brady/Brees have been elite at this. They've made some lineman some serious cash in the process.

QB play/play-calling is just as important (if not more) In regards to PP IMO. Sure you can't have a bunch of Jordan Devey's on the OL lol but there's a lot of ways you can help PP without having a line full of top end talent

I get all of this NY. OL play isn't a snapshot in time. TB had one of the worst OL in the NFL ****last year***. I think we're way too hung up on snap shots; line is good this week, line is bad that week, line was good last year etc. Sure QB play has absolutely everything to do with it but let's again look specifically at what the 49ers are doing and not what everyone else is doing, snapshotted.

The winning strategy last week against a pretty good Rams DL was run as effectively even with 10 in the box and throw under 2 seconds, most of which is behind the LOS. Is this standard offensive strategy for most offenses in the NFL? Probably not because they're better able to PP. I don't routinely see this scheme from recent SB attendees.

Now sure we can make the argument the OL is "better" at PP but as you've mentioned all the criteria has changed that support that. According to this the OL play last week had nothing to do with their improved performance - and as you've stated QB play/play-calling is just as important, that game was designed to exploit the strengths of our personnel (who obviously need scheme to significantly hid weaknesses). So based on this criteria, our OL still sucks but rather it's Kyle and Jimmy hiding their deficiencies - which I can accept.

Now sure if I pepper a few Deveys and say they're not elite and clean pockets are rare, it doesn't disprove:

1) TB's solution for there OL isn't at all connected to how we should fix ours so their one move at RT could have been the tipping point, just like if Richburg came back healthy tomorrow would be the tipping point for this OL - one player.
2) QB does help with that and Nick Mullen's performance with an OL that's not hidden with scheme despite being a read-and-throw QB isn't as fast as Jimmy - whos play/quick release absolutely helps hide this OL
3) Clean pockets aren't a norm for most of the NFL, but as I mentioned - it depends on the team. Some teams are just better at PP than others (Saints, Packers, etc,).
4) it's a myth, totally made-up, fake news that you need universally elite talent to have a decent OL that maintains a standard passing/running offense in an NFL rule world that not only encourages but rewards OL holding (article).

Again it comes down to what do we do about it? I hope we invest heavily in the OL - particularly center.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 21, 2020 at 9:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I don't blame the guy, still injured and wanting to protect himself.

Agreed. If he takes that hit and get knocked out for the season people would be saying he needs to learn how to protect himself.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Agreed. If he takes that hit and get knocked out for the season people would be saying he needs to learn how to protect himself.

It was clearly a bad line call for me. TWO defenders coming untouched up the middle *has* to be a mistake.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Between this play and the one Mullens overthrew vs PHI, Juice would have two explosive plays. I remember, I think 2018, when Juice led the league in average yards per catch for all RBs.
Originally posted by thl408:

Agreed. Jimmy held onto it too long. Whenever there's not a completely clean pocket every single fan blames the OL when in reality there's a s**t ton outside of just like play.

That one play was on Jimmy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

cut petttis and bring this guy in.

Awful run blocker apparently. Probably will go to Philly who is desperate for OL help.

Yeah, you could see it the way he veered away
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Awful run blocker apparently. Probably will go to Philly who is desperate for OL help.

i am desperate.. thus i did no homework on him. lol

Meh the sore ankle thing...looked pretty fine throwing an out route to Bourne. Looked okay running for 7 yards. Looked fine pushing off on that kittle throw. Looked more than fine moving around and hitting Trent on that 3rd down.

It was just a poorly thrown ball to a wide open player. He waited too long to throw it.

No excuse not to make that throw to a wide open Juice. Like I've said before, he needs to be more "Consistent" with his play.
Share 49erswebzone