LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by FL9er:
Damn, looks like Tristan Wirfs, Ryan Jensen, and Ali Marpet aren't enough to prevent Tom Brady from get hit 1.1 fewer times per game (than SF). Wow

Carson Wentz has to be shell shocked, my goodness.

That's why they've been losing.

So you have proof this correlates with them losing? That aside that's pretty unacceptable to invest such high end resources in an OL coupled with a QB who has amazing pocket presence and still give up that many QB hits. Pathetic
Cue the Arians vs KS play calling excuses lol
OL should be improved BUT like I said QB play matters and plays a big part the whole "QB hit" stat.

Regardless on how you feel about Rich (like I said he can be a real ass on Twitter). He knows his football and I can respect that, even if I don't want to agree lol
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 4, 2020 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
OL should be improved BUT like I said QB play matters and plays a big part the whole "QB hit" stat.

Funny how this was never mentioned by you last year.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Because even you know its context. Kind of like how you knew we ran the most last year and the hits went down. What an odd correlation, huh? Does that mean they were a better PP unit? Of course not. They just weren't utilized as much. But when they were used, it wasn't pretty. #4QSuperbowl

Funny how this was never mentioned by you last year.

yes it was lol...especially in regards to your QB hit stat.

s**t do you not see what I'm writing in the Jimmy thread about 2019?
Because even you know its context. Kind of like how you knew we ran the most last year and the hits went down. What an odd correlation, huh? Does that mean they were a better PP unit? Of course not. They just weren't utilized as much. But when they were used, it wasn't pretty. #4QSuperbowl

ohhhh I'm gonna use a NC stat

Brady's TT this yr is 2.57, Nick Mullens this yr 2.52, Jimmy in 2019 2.65
ohhhh I'm gonna use a NC stat

Brady's TT this yr is 2.57, Nick Mullens this yr 2.52, Jimmy in 2019 2.65

Jimmy's slowed down for sure. I've noticed that too. I know that's one metric but in context, given the quick throw offense Kyle ran and modified even quicker for several of his games, to me, that's an indication of him hesitating, not trusting his protection (understandable), not seeing the field well, not trusting his reads and some receiver issues mixed in too. Maybe also in part to a very erratic run game too.

Would you agree?

As to Tom, like Wilson, you can still be in a long ball offense and release the ball quickly with anticipation. Wilson virtually throws the second he gets the snap and still drops in rainbows 50 yards down field. Then again, because of his ability to buy more time it also increases his TTT and hits too. Trade off.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM ]

I'm going to need receipts for that one. Ha
Jimmy's slowed down for sure. I've noticed that too. I know that's one metric but in context, given the quick throw offense Kyle ran and modified even quicker for several of his games, to me, that's an indication of him hesitating, not trusting his protection (understandable), not seeing the field well, not trusting his reads and some receiver issued mixed in too.

Would you agree?

As to Tom, like Wilson, you can still be in a long ball offense and release the ball quickly with anticipation. Wilson virtually throws the second he gets the snap and still drops in rainbows 50 yards down field. Then again, because of his ability to buy more time it also increases his TTT and hits too. Trade off.

I would agree he's just not a great QB. period...OL or not some blame falls on the feet of the QB. OL for sure hasn't been great. Both can be true

I'm pointing out TT isn't an amazing stat to determine OL play overall. It's scheme related, has to do with pressure, and just how well the QB reads a defense and is willing to throw it....It is interesting that Tommy gets rid of the ball so quickly given Bruce's downfield scheme overall.

Wilson has the 4th longest TT in the league, so not totally agreeing with that example

I'm going to need receipts for that one. Ha

Hey you brought it up not me...go search the 1,500+ pages I'm not doing that one.

I know I've stated QB play directly effects your QB hits stat...I've also been talking about it in the Jimmy thread

I would agree he's just not a great QB. period...OL or not some blame falls on the feet of the QB. OL for sure hasn't been great. Both can be true

I'm pointing out TT isn't an amazing stat to determine OL play overall. It's scheme related, has to do with pressure, and just how well the QB reads a defense and is willing to throw it....It is interesting that Tommy gets rid of the ball so quickly given Bruce's downfield scheme overall.

Wilson has the 4th longest TT in the league, so not totally agreeing with that example

Yeah, the only time I use TTT is to demonstrate how quickly our 3 QB's get rid of the ball in a traditional pocket offense. It's more pure than that of mobile QB's. Its just to give a reference point on how the QB might help or hurt the PP too. If held longer, it's not helping (whatever the reasons). If getting rid of it quickly, it's helping a lot.

Like with QB hits, it's just one metric among many to help paint the bigger picture which is the pass protection unit stinks from the QB's responsibility to poor skill set to TE/FB/RB's blocking, to an inability to run to reduce the # of PP attempts, to receivers not getting open under 2.5 seconds to how defenses are playing to pre and post snap communications to...whatever...it all blows right now and the large number of QB hits is just one cumulative metric demonstrating that.

If there was an objective metric that could tease out the sole QB responsibility we'd use that too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 4, 2020 at 8:29 AM ]
Yeah, the only time I use TTT is to demonstrate how quickly our 3 QB's get rid of the ball in a traditional pocket offense. It's more pure than that of mobile QB's. Its just to give a reference point on how the QB might help or hurt the PP too. If held longer, it's not helping (whatever the reasons). If getting rid of it quickly, it's helping a lot.

Like with QB hits, it's just one metric among many to help paint the bigger picture which is the pass protection unit stinks from the QB's responsibility to poor skill set to TE/FB/RB's blocking, to an inability to run to reduce the # of PP attempts, to receivers not getting open under 2.5 seconds to how defenses are playing to pre and post snap communications to...whatever...it all blows right now and the large number of QB hits is just one cumulative metric demonstrating that.

If there was an objective metric that could tease out the sole QB responsibility we'd use that too.

I get all of that...for me throwing our TT and QB hits as some super meaningful stat to show how good or bad a OL is imo is kinda meh.

There's so many variables that lead to PP being good or bad.

For me, I'm being realistic and knowing our backup QB, 4th string center, 3rd string RG isn't gonna equal great PP...throw in no Deebo/Aiyuk/Kittle for chunks of times...oh and no real RBs lol. Not sure what we're expecting. Kyle is working some magic right now.

That said I think resigning Garland is a must plus drafting a IOL in the top 100 should be a thing.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Sure it does. But my question was do you have proof that TB giving up QB hits correlates to them losing?
I would like a QB who helps out the offensive line. And I am not just talking about scrambling around. Every single game I watch, I see a QB calling out where blitzes are coming from, talking to his OLmen to identify this presnap. Jimmy doesnt do this. I cant remember the last time I saw him do this, if ever.

Its something our QBotF needs to do. If Jimmy learns how to do this, great. If not, I hope our next QB does. Our OL needs help, and its not getting it from Jimmy. Even Mullens is better than Jimmy at this (sans those two consecutive plays in the Saints game. No clue what happened there.)
I get all of that...for me throwing our TT and QB hits as some super meaningful stat to show how good or bad a OL is imo is kinda meh.

Totally agreed. It was never meant to be the end all, be all. Just a single objective metric. Context and evaluations in discussion should always be had around them.

Same with FO, PFF, Twitter content, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone