LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 245 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
We will learn a lot here over the next half of the season .
-will Brunskill continue to grow into the RG position
-will MM get back to what is expected if him
-will Richburg return and if so how will he look.
-will McKivitz get any run and if so how will he look

Either way I think a C/G needs to be on the offseason shopping list. I guess at this point it's BPA between OL/CB in the 1st, but I'm sure ER will be in there as well.

That's the way I see it too!
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
We do realize that stat does NOT mean he's getting hit every time he hold onto the ball over 2.5 sec right?

I would guess that if he holds the ball much more than 2.5 seconds the play has broken down or they are trying a rare throw downfield which have a lower completion rate. There's no question that Kyle runs a rhythm offense and Jimmy is a very good rhythm QB. Sometimes the rhythm doesn't work and Jimmy has to make his own music. That's when he struggles.

That's certainly true. And these receivers are not great ad libbers either and struggle getting off coverage at times too. Hopefully they both get better once JG gets a little more mobility back and Deebo and Aiyuk get rolling.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
We will learn a lot here over the next half of the season .
-will Brunskill continue to grow into the RG position
-will MM get back to what is expected if him
-will Richburg return and if so how will he look.
-will McKivitz get any run and if so how will he look

Either way I think a C/G needs to be on the offseason shopping list. I guess at this point it's BPA between OL/CB in the 1st, but I'm sure ER will be in there as well.

I 100% agree.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Absolutely.

When we can run at that large of volume and sustain that running success, and especially when Kyle sticks to it, we were #1 on 3rd downs IIRC. That's excellent complimentary football and you can go pretty far with that formula.

I noticed something recently too. Not sure if it's concrete or not but I believe the OL also is fully aware and trained to sustain their blocks for 3 seconds. I see a number of them just stop PP and don't play through the whistle. I wonder if this is coached in because of the 2.5 second clock the passing game works off of or if it's a tactical coaching thing to lessen injuries post 2.5 seconds...or they're just lazy. LOL

But just another observation. It's not across the board so it's kind of hard to pinpoint.

We do realize that stat does NOT mean he's getting hit every time he hold onto the ball over 2.5 sec right?

This isn't just about the time, it's also about the scheme. The difference between this year and last (thus far) is that most of Jimmy's passes were swing passes, behind the LOS, or very, very short passes. The throw to Kittle was one of the longer throws of the game. What I meant by "this isn't a sustainable passing offense" is that the passing scheme used to cover lacking PP and a possibly ailing Jimmy as he builds rapport with WRs may have won the last game, just don't expect it to work in successive weeks. Opposing coaches are too smart for that IMHO - especially Hoodie. We started to see diminishing returns with jet sweeps and end-arounds against the Rams. I fully expect the Pats to be ready.

I think the gameplan vs LAR spoke more to the fear of Aaron Donald and Jimmy's knee not 100%. If it doesn't change after a couple weeks as Jimmy's knee feels better, then I would be concerned. I saw this because throwing beyond 10 yards wasn't a problem for the 2019 offense.
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
Absolutely.

When we can run at that large of volume and sustain that running success, and especially when Kyle sticks to it, we were #1 on 3rd downs IIRC. That's excellent complimentary football and you can go pretty far with that formula.

I noticed something recently too. Not sure if it's concrete or not but I believe the OL also is fully aware and trained to sustain their blocks for 3 seconds. I see a number of them just stop PP and don't play through the whistle. I wonder if this is coached in because of the 2.5 second clock the passing game works off of or if it's a tactical coaching thing to lessen injuries post 2.5 seconds...or they're just lazy. LOL

But just another observation. It's not across the board so it's kind of hard to pinpoint.

This isn't just about the time, it's also about the scheme. The difference between this year and last (thus far) is that most of Jimmy's passes were swing passes, behind the LOS, or very, very short passes. The throw to Kittle was one of the longer throws of the game. What I meant by "this isn't a sustainable passing offense" is that the passing scheme used to cover lacking PP and a possibly ailing Jimmy as he builds rapport with WRs may have won the last game, just don't expect it to work in successive weeks. Opposing coaches are too smart for that IMHO - especially Hoodie. We started to see diminishing returns with jet sweeps and end-arounds against the Rams. I fully expect the Pats to be ready.

I think the gameplan vs LAR spoke more to the fear of Aaron Donald and Jimmy's knee not 100%. If it doesn't change after a couple weeks as Jimmy's knee feels better, then I would be concerned. I saw this because throwing beyond 10 yards wasn't a problem for the 2019 offense.

Agreed about 2019. Hope the fear was only with Donald and not the staple passing scheme.

Just think back to 2019, we never had conversations about "is Kyle's passing game all passes under 5 yards". It's new this season with a shaky OL and Jimmy's ankle. (I meant ankle in my post above).

G Cesar Ruiz, New Orleans Saints As a rookie, Ruiz has battled both injuries and a positional change from center in college to right guard in the NFL. The transition to the NFL is already difficult enough in this pandemic-shortened offseason, so adding in those two things makes it unsurprising that Ruiz has had a tough go.

His 48.5 overall grade is the fourth-lowest of any starting guard in the NFL. The calmness to his game that we saw at Michigan hasn't been nearly as apparent this year. I've already seen more off-balance reps from Ruiz in four games than I did in a dozen outings last season. Simple things like passing off this T-E stunt are brand new to him after playing center the past two seasons at Michigan.
Originally posted by ChuckLeavy32:
Agreed. Jimmy held onto it too long. Whenever there's not a completely clean pocket every single fan blames the OL when in reality there's a s**t ton outside of just like play.

That one play was on Jimmy.

I wish we could stop evaluating Jimmy based on a good throw or a bad throw. We all know that every QB makes some good throws and misses a few easy ones. I prefer to look at the body of work and not focus on a few throws. The average QB is going to have between 400 and 500 attempts per year. I look at where the majority of throws are going and where most of the misses are. The QB, line and receivers all have to be on the same page and when one of those 3 screws up the play fails. As fans, it's not that easy to tell who was at fault on every play. When a receiver drops the ball it's easy to blame him but sometimes the throw was late or behind. The O line gets blamed when the protection breaks down but that can happen if the QB is hesitant to let the ball go OR if the receivers screw up and aren't where they are supposed to be which results in the QB holding the ball too long. Sometimes it's just great defense. There are too many factors to make easy judgements on why certain plays work or fail. The coaches and players know because they know who was supposed to do what on each play.

I do think he tends to hold on to the ball to long sometimes and takes a sack but that's better than an INT.

I wonder how much of that is Jimmy's instincts and how much is Kyle's offense. He seems content to take the easy throw every time rather than taking a chance on a more risky throw that may have a higher reward. It may be that's what Kyle has drilled into him or maybe he doesn't see the field well enough. I really don't know the answer here but I do know I see fewer tough throws downfield from this offense than nearly every other one in the league. I know it's not his arm because I see a lot of QBs who aren't as good as him take those shots. It would lower his completion % and could result in more INTs but it could also result in more points.

HE DOES NOT HAVE PASS PROTECTION TIME FOR A PLAY TO DEVELOP DOWN FIELD!!!! HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THIS AND KEEP REPEATING THE SAME THING??? HIS PASS PROTECTION DOES NOT HOLD UP!!!

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH???? OR DO YOU WANT TO KEEP WONDERING IF JIMMY DOESN'T HAVE A STRONG ENOUGH ARM TO THROW THE f**kING BALL 30 f**kING YARDS!!!

WOW
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
HE DOES NOT HAVE PASS PROTECTION TIME FOR A PLAY TO DEVELOP DOWN FIELD!!!! HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THIS AND KEEP REPEATING THE SAME THING??? HIS PASS PROTECTION DOES NOT HOLD UP!!!

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH???? OR DO YOU WANT TO KEEP WONDERING IF JIMMY DOESN'T HAVE A STRONG ENOUGH ARM TO THROW THE f**kING BALL 30 f**kING YARDS!!!

WOW

it's completely false that he's getting hit every time that he's doesn't throw the ball within 2.5 secs. That Juice play he should have thrown it sooner. We've seen a bunch of play-action calls where he had time to throw it downfield. whether it's this yr or last yr.

The PP isn't great...it's not just the OL though.

WOW

it's completely false that he's getting hit every time that he's doesn't throw the ball within 2.5 secs. That Juice play he should have thrown it sooner. We've seen a bunch of play-action calls where he had time to throw it downfield. whether it's this yr or last yr.

The PP isn't great...it's not just the OL though.

Juice was the 2nd read on that play. Watch the play it's very obvious Kittle was the 1st read, by the time he turned to Juice a DL was already on his face. You can find a better play to prove your point but that play wasn't it. Just saying
I would bet that on the vast majority of PA plays he holds the ball for more than 2.5 seconds. And those seem to be the plays when we try to push the ball down the field. He usually has better protection on those plays.

Absolutely.

Agreed about 2019. Hope the fear was only with Donald and not the staple passing scheme.

Just think back to 2019, we never had conversations about "is Kyle's passing game all passes under 5 yards". It's new this season with a shaky OL and Jimmy's ankle. (I meant ankle in my post above).

Definitely a perfect combo of Donald, 51 QB hits coming in and a QB with planting pain and immobility.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Juice was the 2nd read on that play. Watch the play it's very obvious Kittle was the 1st read, by the time he turned to Juice a DL was already on his face. You can find a better play to prove your point but that play wasn't it. Just saying

Nah dude

True it is false that he's getting hit every time, which means in anticipation he's rushing many of this reads/throws as we continues to round into playing shape. The Juice play was again an anomaly when comparing the larger amount of plays. And even on that play there are two free rushers coming at Jimmy. Sure there may have been a communication issue on that play, but it's been clear even when Mullens was in there was a near universal imperative everyone recognized as he OL needing to play better - both RB and PP (as you pointed out last week ). The most successful play of the game (pass to Kittle) Jimmy gets destroyed and that was only a 7 yard slant (?).

It's not just the OL on PP - true but right now mostly it is as the rest of the passing offense settles down.

He has like 3 secs to throw that ball man

Blows an easy TD here as well...wrong read Aiyuk was pissed too.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Yup the cards got a Win they didn't deserve. Murray was horrendous 9 for 24 with the best we in the nfl . Every team seems to get lucky in our division except yours truly. Watching Seattle play Minn w/o Cook and their great DE was

The 49ers were so lucky last year. They were very healthy and the playoffs was set up for them perfectly. they didnt' have to play New Orleans or Seattle. The reason why they don't have #6 because of their own f**kery.

This year, the luck isn't there

I guess you must of missed every Niner game last year we were the SF 46's bc every damn player missed 4-6 weeks. We already beat the saints and Seattle AT THEIR HOMES with a silent snap count. I know you often troll but before you do maybe think first.

BTW in the SB you do realize we didn't have our pro bowl alternate Center and our best run defender DJ Jones?

WOW

Hear hear. I concur
Share 49ersWebzone