But a kicker

And a QB
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
Everything

But a kicker

And a QB

The team needs an elite pass rusher and I hope they use a high first round pick on the consensus best pass rusher in the draft. You simply cannot win in the NFL these days without a good pass rush.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
We need a real WR, Torey Smith is terrible. He can't run a route to save his life. All he is good for is running fast in a straight line. We need to draft an elite WR that we can't have here for 10 years!

A lot of folks will disagree with you, but I don't! Let's face it, Baalke is PUTRID at assessing offensive talent. Yes, I can see the merits of drafting Jaylon Smith LB out of Notre Dame (and I wouldn't be upset if we did), but I'm with you, our WR corp has received a free pass for far too long. Both Kaepernick and Gabbert are decent QBs who are not getting much help from our receivers.

I'd be fine with Torrey Smith as a 3rd receiver but that's about it.

Biggest problem tho is that we have SOOO many needs in the offseason.
Originally posted by pete98146:

It'll make the off season kind of interesting at least. They need serious help in the pass rush and the O-line. They'll probably also do something about QB. I could see them going the free agent route with O-line and pass rush.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
Everything

But a kicker

And a QB

Not sure if he's been funny or serious
We need a real WR, Torey Smith is terrible. He can't run a route to save his life. All he is good for is running fast in a straight line. We need to draft an elite WR that we can't have here for 10 years!

A lot of folks will disagree with you, but I don't! Let's face it, Baalke is PUTRID at assessing offensive talent. Yes, I can see the merits of drafting Jaylon Smith LB out of Notre Dame (and I wouldn't be upset if we did), but I'm with you, our WR corp has received a free pass for far too long. Both Kaepernick and Gabbert are decent QBs who are not getting much help from our receivers.

Let's take a look. I agree about the WR...outside of HC, OC & DC, this is my personnel needs:

Top Tier Needs:
QB: Blaine Gabbert; Colin Kaepernick & Dylan Thompson – OK, safe to say, we need a push-starter here (most likely a rookie we plan to develop over a couple years). And it's just our luck this is the worst QB class ever.
Z WR: Anquan Boldin; DeAndre Smelter & Dres Anderson – Coaches really like Smelter, White and Anderson. But what we're REALLY missing in this WCO is that big-bodied play maker who can go across the middle on slants, post patterns, etc.
ROT: Erik Pears; Trenton Brown – Ummm, we need plenty of help along the OL. I'd prefer veteran proven FA's. We don't have time to develop another Marcus Martin.
WILL/ELEPHANT: Ahmad Brooks; Eli Harold & Tank Carradine – This is our biggest need on defense.
RB1: Carlos Hyde; Kendall Gaskins & Mike Davis – Safe to say, Hyde is legit and if we stay WCO, Draughn is a nice pickup for some inside/off tackle runs plus is great in pass protection and is an excellent receiver. I like this combination but we also need an upgrade over Davis. We don't ever want to be down a premier RB again. It derailed our entire season and offensive philosophy.

Second Tier Needs:
RG: Andrew Tiller; Jordan Devey & Brandon Thomas – Tiller or Thomas could still pan out with a full off season but we better not plan on it. Nail a top-notch FA veteran starter.
C: Daniel Kilgore; Marcus Martin – Martin might also be in competition at G but if we could upgrade the C position in FA, you don't hesitate!
LOT: Joe Staley; (Alex Boone) – Staley isn't getting any younger. Move Staley to RT, Boone to left or is Davis coming back?
LG: Alex Boone; Ian Silberman – Can we keep Boone once he tests FA?
RDE: Quinton Dial; Tony Jerod Eddie (Kaleb Ramsey) – Could use another push-starter here or blue chipper to play opposite of AA.
TED: Gerald Hodges; Michael Wilhoite & Shane Skov – If we keep Mangini, we need a speedy ILB who can cover very very well.

Third Tier Needs:
RCB: Kenneth Acker; Dontae Johnson & Chris Davis – Only if there is a blue-chipper with serious upgrade potential. Fix the pass rush = better back end play.
X WR: Torrey Smith; Jerome Simpson & Quinton Patton – I may be the only one who likes Simpson (very similar skill set to Smith) but it can't hurt to get another burner here. Our offense was done once Smith went out with injury.
PK: Phil Dawson – Time for a challenger.
PR/KOR: Bruce Ellington & Quinton Patton – We need a legit play maker here!

Assessment:
That's 15 needs with 11 true needs. We have 12 picks right now plus whatever we get for CK. Once CK, Bethea, Brooks, etc. contracts are dealt with, we're expecting somewhere between $50-60M+ in FA and most likely, top 5 picks.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM ]
More updates to the OP:

DuJuan Harris signed (through 2016) and Jarryd Hayne (through 2017).
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 31, 2015 at 9:17 AM ]
Thank God for Practice Squads, Wal mart, and car salesmen.

The Hayne thing is fascinating. They made a good choice, but after a few fumbles, couldn't stay with him. Yes his pass blocking was iffy, but the guy is a player and he would learn. To Schidt can him and cut him,(or PS him), this yr, with all the upheaval , starting over....jeez, this was the perfect yr to leave him in and let him learn. Instead they yank him and when remaining RBs disappear, re-sign him. Man that is not good team managaement, no matter whose decision it was. This was the perfect learning yr for a great PR , and JT or trent, or both, blew it. We should be going into next yr with hayne a well tried full yr man. Instead, we are back at square one. Shame on whoever made that dodo decision.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 31, 2015 at 2:33 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Let's take a look. I agree about the WR...outside of HC, OC & DC, this is my personnel needs:

Top Tier Needs:
QB: Blaine Gabbert; Colin Kaepernick & Dylan Thompson – OK, safe to say, we need a push-starter here (most likely a rookie we plan to develop over a couple years). And it's just our luck this is the worst QB class ever.
Z WR: Anquan Boldin; DeAndre Smelter & Dres Anderson – Coaches really like Smelter, White and Anderson. But what we're REALLY missing in this WCO is that big-bodied play maker who can go across the middle on slants, post patterns, etc.
ROT: Erik Pears; Trenton Brown – Ummm, we need plenty of help along the OL. I'd prefer veteran proven FA's. We don't have time to develop another Marcus Martin.
WILL/ELEPHANT: Ahmad Brooks; Eli Harold & Tank Carradine – This is our biggest need on defense.
RB1: Carlos Hyde; Kendall Gaskins & Mike Davis – Safe to say, Hyde is legit and if we stay WCO, Draughn is a nice pickup for some inside/off tackle runs plus is great in pass protection and is an excellent receiver. I like this combination but we also need an upgrade over Davis. We don't ever want to be down a premier RB again. It derailed our entire season and offensive philosophy.

Second Tier Needs:
RG: Andrew Tiller; Jordan Devey & Brandon Thomas – Tiller or Thomas could still pan out with a full off season but we better not plan on it. Nail a top-notch FA veteran starter.
C: Daniel Kilgore; Marcus Martin – Martin might also be in competition at G but if we could upgrade the C position in FA, you don't hesitate!
LOT: Joe Staley; (Alex Boone) – Staley isn't getting any younger. Move Staley to RT, Boone to left or is Davis coming back?
RDE: Quinton Dial; Tony Jerod Eddie (Kaleb Ramsey) – Could use another push-starter here or blue chipper to play opposite of AA.
TED: Gerald Hodges; Michael Wilhoite & Shane Skov – If we keep Mangini, we need a speedy ILB who can cover very very well.

Third Tier Needs:
RCB: Kenneth Acker; Dontae Johnson & Chris Davis – Only if there is a blue-chipper with serious upgrade potential. Fix the pass rush = better back end play.
X WR: Torrey Smith; Jerome Simpson & Quinton Patton – I may be the only one who likes Simpson (very similar skill set to Smith) but it can't hurt to get another burner here. Our offense was done once Smith went out with injury.

Assessment:
That's 15 needs with 11 true needs. We have 12 picks right now plus whatever we get for CK. Once CK, Bethea, Brooks, etc. contracts are dealt with, we're expecting somewhere between $50-60M+ in FA and most likely, top 5 picks.

More like 13 true needs. I think Boone is gone in FA, and I don't believe Adams will be on this team next year.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thank God for Practice Squads, Wal mart, and car salesmen.

The Hayne thing is fascinating. They made a good choice, but after a few fumbles, couldn't stay with him. Yes his pass blocking was iffy, but the guy is a player and he would learn. To Schidt can him and cut him,(or PS him), this yr, with all the upheaval , starting over....jeez, this was the perfect yr to leave him in and let him learn. Instead they yank him and when remaining RBs disappear, re-sign him. Man that is not good team managaement, no matter whose decision it was. This was the perfect learning yr for a great PR , and JT or trent, or both, blew it. We should be going into next yr with hayne a well tried full yr man. Instead, we are back at square one. Shame on whoever made that dodo decision.

Yes. What could have been. The fans have been screwed over too. I fear that if nothing is changed in management then nothing will change unless you count more regression.

Happy new year.
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Top Tier Needs:

Second Tier Needs:

Third Tier Needs:

Assessment:

More like 13 true needs. I think Boone is gone in FA, and I don't believe Adams will be on this team next year.

Adams? Losing Boone is a strong possibility which is why Tiller (ranked #22 among all G's right now) has been moved to LG...huge holes on the left side were open for the first time I've seen since the beginning of the year. So we'll have to grab a veteran G in FA, draft another and hope the light comes on for Martin or Thomas.

Share 49ersWebzone