There are 183 users in the forums

2015 Team Needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
1 week from tonight!

BAM!!!!
MM's take:

Through free agency and unexpected retirements, the 49ers lost eight players this offseason who started a combined 98 games.

And that does not count defensive linemen Ray McDonald, who was released late in the season, or Justin Smith, who remains undecided whether to return for his 15th NFL season.

But general manager Trent Baalke said he believes the 49ers have those spots filled with players acquired in previous drafts or with the free-agent acquisitions.

"I feel good about where the roster is at from a positional standpoint," Baalke said. "(I) felt we addressed some needs in free agency that would allow us to go into the draft with the ability to draft value over need.

"That doesn't mean we don't have any holes we'd like to fill or we're not looking to upgrade at certain positions. But what it does mean is we feel very comfortable where we're at in this stage of the game."

Here are the positions that rank at the top of the 49ers' list of needs:

1. Inside linebacker – This does not mean the 49ers will take a player at this position in the first or second round. But at some point, the 49ers will add to the depth at this position with a player who could find a situational role while being a core special-teams contributor. Patrick Willis retired, and Chris Borland unexpectedly announced his decision to quit the sport after a strong rookie season. NaVorro Bowman and Michael Wilhoite are slated as the starters. Veteran Desmond Bishop will compete for a roster spot. Nick Moody and Nick Bellore are viewed mostly as special-teams players. The 49ers remain interested in signing veteran Lance Briggs, who could be added after May 12 with no negative impact on next year's compensatory draft picks.

2. Wide receiver – Michael Crabtree was never coming back, so the 49ers wasted no time in replacing him with the quick signing of Smith to a five-year, $40 million contract. Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith are the starters. But the 49ers do not have a clear-cut No. 3 among Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton and Jerome Simpson. If the 49ers can get a talented wide receiver within the first couple of rounds, he can get on the field immediately and team up with Smith as a starter in 2016. This is a strong class of wide receivers, so strong options can be found through the first two days of the draft.

3. Cornerback – Sure, the 49ers lost Chris Culliver and Perrish Cox to free agency. But the 49ers believe they have some good players at this spot. Tramaine Brock returns from injuries that sidelined him for most of the season. Shareece Wright was signed to a one-year deal. While Wright might be the answer as a stop-gap starter, the 49ers must continue to think for to the future. They could choose a cornerback as early as with the No. 15 overall selection. Veteran Chris Cooks was re-signed in the offseason, and Dontae Johnson, Kenneth Acker and Keith Reaser were draft picks last year. First-round pick Jimmie Ward, listed as a safety, is ticketed to be the nickel back.

4. Defensive line - Coach Jim Tomsula calls it the deepest line he has seen with the 49ers in his eight seasons as the position coach. The 49ers believe they have prepared for Justin Smith's eventual departure for the past couple of years, so they are not counting on his return. They signed Darnell Dockett in the offseason. Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial and Tony Jerod-Eddie all return. Still, the 49ers could use a game-changing type of talent to add to this group.

5. Offensive line – Three of the starting spots appear settled. There should be competition at center and left guard. The 49ers lacked a swing tackle last season, and it proved costly. Expect the 49ers to add an offensive lineman. Their biggest need is a versatile offensive lineman who can hold up as the backup at both tackle positions.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/ranking-top-5-49ers-draft-needs
And now MB's needs:

The 49ers will have their highest selection, pick No. 15, since the end of the Mike Singletary era when the draft begins Thursday.

One question: Will general manager Trent Baalke try to go even higher, as he did in 2010 and 2013? In those drafts, he found Week 1 starters in right tackle Anthony Davis and safety Eric Reid. The 49ers have no truly pressing vacancies as they go through the first minicamp of the year this week.

But they do have some needs, beginning with:

WR: Anquan Boldin has been the bedrock of this unit since he arrived in 2013. Boldin, however, turns 35 during the season and he's not signed beyond this year. The 49ers spent a lot of money on Torrey Smith to give the offense the deep threat at wideout it's been missing since Terrell Owens was on the roster. But he's never been a No. 1-type wideout. The 49ers could use one for the future, and this draft -- considered nearly as good as last year's when it comes to receivers -- should be used to restock the position. The 49ers could come away with multiple pass catchers.

Possibilities: Trade up for West Virginia's Kevin White or Louisville's DeVante Parker in Round 1. Later: Auburn's Sammie Coates, Ohio State's Devin Smith, Georgia Tech's Darren Waller, Washington State's Vince Mayle.

CB: The 49ers have numbers at this spot but very few sure things. Tramaine Brock is a lock to start at one of the spots. Brock, however, has gotten hurt every time he's had a chance to be a full-time starter and he's never handled the job for a long stretch. Newcomer Shareece Wright would start on the other side if the season kicked off tomorrow. The scouting service Pro Football Focus ranked Wright, who came over from the Chargers, 105 out of 108 cornerbacks last season. Youngsters like Dante Johnson and Kenneth Acker also will compete for roles.

Possibilities: Connecticut's Byron Jones, Washington's Marcus Peters, Michigan State's Trae Waynes in Round 1. Later: LSU's Jalen Collins, Ohio State's Doran Grant, South Florida's Chris Dunkley.

OLB: The 49ers appear loaded at this critical position ... for now. But both Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks are coming off of down seasons. Smith, who had two sacks in seven games, is heading into the final year of his contract and is one off-field misstep away from being booted off the team. Brooks, 31, has a high salary moving forward and his 2014 season was marked by attitude issues. Aaron Lynch had a strong rookie season, but Corey Lemonier all but disappeared last year. Reliable backup Dan Skuta left via free agency to the Jaguars.

Possibilities: Florida State's Mario Edwards Jr. in Round 2. Later: Arkansas' Trey Flowers, Louisville's Lorenzo Mauldin, Norfolk State's Lynden Trail

ILB: No group received a shot to the solar plexus this offseason like inside linebacker. What was at one point the 49ers' richest position is now a question mark following Patrick Willis' and Chris Bowman's back-to-back retirements last month. NaVorro Bowman appears on track to make a comeback from his January 2014 knee injury. He's taking part in the 49ers' ongoing minicamp sessions. Michael Wilhoite started 16 games last year on a Top 5 defense. Beyond them, the 49ers have 2013 draft pick Nick Moody and several players who have mostly played special teams.

Possibilities: Clemson's Stephone Anthony, Miami's Denzel Perryman in Round 2. Later: TCU's Paul Dawson.

TE: First Frank Gore, then Willis, and eventually ... Vernon Davis? The team's long-time tight end could be the third 49ers stalwart to leave the team next season. Davis is entering the final year of his contract and is coming off the worst season of his career. He seems rededicated this offseason, but he's also 31 and was seeking a big contract last year. His would-be replacement, Vance McDonald, has had a meager start to his career and injured his back last season. The 49ers like upstart Derek Carrier, a former wide receiver. But he's lacking in experience and got hurt when he had a chance to play last season. This is not a deep draft class for tight ends, and none may be taken in the first round.

Possibilities: Round 2: Miami's Clive Walford. Later: South Carolina's Rory Anderson, Texas A&M's Cameron Clear.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article19870968.html#storylink=cpy
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
That dude MB the best niner beat writer no doubt.
Originally posted by susweel:

He's my personal favorite...always has been.
Very nice write-up

definitely gonna miss Chris Bowman this year.
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Very nice write-up

Nice catch! Shame on him!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 29, 2015 at 1:15 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

His one round mock had me laughing at work.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Very nice write-up

Nice catch! Shame on him!

He must have meant "Chris Willis."
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Totally! That's a man that loves his job.

Thanks for pointing me toward this mock! It is both fun and funny and probably more accurate than most!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Thanks for pointing me toward this mock! It is both fun and funny and probably more accurate than most!

His role (Hyde) will be expanded in the coming season under new offensive coordinator Geep Chryst, who was Colin Kaepernick's quarterback's coach in 2014. Under former offensive coordinator Greg Roman, 49ers running backs were typically at the bottom of the league in receptions, which is a dimension in the offense that could change this year. "I think year we'll definitely hone into that," Hyde said

I just fell out of my seat!!!! Thank you based-God!

http://sfo.scout.com/story/1542183-hyde-things-are-different-with-49ers
His role (Hyde) will be expanded in the coming season under new offensive coordinator Geep Chryst, who was Colin Kaepernick's quarterback's coach in 2014. Under former offensive coordinator Greg Roman, 49ers running backs were typically at the bottom of the league in receptions, which is a dimension in the offense that could change this year. "I think year we'll definitely hone into that," Hyde said

I just fell out of my seat!!!! Thank you based-God!

http://sfo.scout.com/story/1542183-hyde-things-are-different-with-49ers

Absent at #49ers minicamp: Anthony Davis, Boone, Boldin, Ward, Lynch, Miller, JSmith. Kilgore, Dockett, Dorsey, Ellington rehabbing

What is Ellington rehabbing, and WTF is Boone's dumbass thinking, missing more off season work? Ward and Davis aught to be there, too. Boldin will ball anyway, so I'm not too concerned w/him.
Share 49ersWebzone