There are 467 users in the forums

How long will our playoff drought last?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long will our playoff drought last?

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by Rascal:
With a great new head coach and if we can cream it in the coming draft with major impact players especially on the offensive side of the ball, next season.

This roster is still stacked. Its just going to depend on the coach.

To be honest, it is not as stacked as you might think :

1) Frank might be gone, Carlos Hyde is great, but is still not enough there as far as the RB corps is concerned. We will need another major playmaking back.

2) The WR corps is not as great as some think. We don't have size and speed to give us that consistent deep threat.

3) The O-line is in a mess.

4) Justin Smith might retire and McDonald is gone, we already couldn't generate enough pass rush this year, next year could be worse.

Seriously, we need to draft really well in this coming May.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Jed is a genius , we will be fine

lol
Every team has to draft well and play the FA game well to prosper. No reason to suppose, though, that the world is ending.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We'll be back in the playoffs again next year. Book it.
The circus that is our organization has only begun. We're the 3rd best team in the division, 3rd best defense although still really good, but nowhere near as talented as people think overall, and will be looking to run out Kap the second a rainy cloud pops up next year.

Depends on the offseason though. Not far away from a collapse, not far away from the Super Bowl either.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 29, 2014 at 8:21 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
No, not talented at all - we just led the league in INTs despite those injuries and total team D in top 5 while playing with scrubs. But NO I agree, no talent there.

I meant on offense and that's why I said OVERALL. Defensively we're a great defense in a great defensive division. The advantage isn't as much as you think.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by Rascal:
With a great new head coach and if we can cream it in the coming draft with major impact players especially on the offensive side of the ball, next season.

This roster is still stacked. Its just going to depend on the coach.

It's stacked until we lose justin smith, mike iupati, Crabtree and whoever else.
Originally posted by English:
Every team has to draft well and play the FA game well to prosper. No reason to suppose, though, that the world is ending.

I love how the gloom and doom prophecies have us whiffing on in both of these categories and all other teams in the NFL will absolutely draft better and do better in FA than us, plummeting us to the league's cellar.
As long as a team has a top 5 defense, they will always be in the playoff hunt. We have some serious monsters coming back for us on Defense next year. If we can go back to basics and run 60% of the time (QB + RB's), we will definitely be in the playoff hunt.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
As long as a team has a top 5 defense, they will always be in the playoff hunt. We have some serious monsters coming back for us on Defense next year. If we can go back to basics and run 60% of the time (QB + RB's), we will definitely be in the playoff hunt.

Everyone has the formula to win, but the big question is will the new coach have it.

Our roster is very talented. The reason that a playoff drought could be real is because of how loaded the NFC West is. Arizona and Seattle are both very talented rosters as well. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we make the playoffs next year though.
I wouldn't call missing the playoffs in 2014 any kind of drought...it's a bump in the road. At least it is for me and I believe all the players and coaches feel the same way. There's way too much talent and veteran leadership to go into any kind of drought. There are always challenges when you replace a head coach...but there are a lot of very talented candidates to fill the job. I have faith in Baalke to get it right...and also bring in the kind of OC who can resurrect the offense.
Watch us win the Superbowl next year, lol
Originally posted by verb1der:
Watch us win the Superbowl next year, lol

As always....I hope so.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Playoffs next season if people get healthy.

This. Healthy team = no noticeable drop off with a decent coaching staff.

We might even be better next year with a competent offense
Share 49ersWebzone