LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

How long will our playoff drought last?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long will our playoff drought last?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I think with a new offensive staff and a good draft we should be back in the Playoffs next season. Too many good players to not be relevant.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The play off "drought" ended four years ago. After making the play offs for three years, we failed to make it this year.

I am not even sure that a new "drought" has even started, so I am not to worried about how long this "drought" will last.
Originally posted by buck:
The play off "drought" ended four years ago. After making the play offs for three years, we failed to make it this year.

I am not even sure that a new "drought" has even started, so I am not to worried about how long this "drought" will last.

This! We'll be back in the playoffs next year.

Put is this way, everything and I mean everything went against us this year and we STILL ended 8-8...1 game better than the Carolina Panthers.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 5, 2015 at 12:25 PM ]
Originally posted by FL9er:
Just listened to a scathing podcast from Jason LaCanfora on CBSSports.com. Among the highlights:

-Compared Jed to Dan Snyder

-Mentioned the team is in decline

-Mentioned the bad cap situation (Justin Smith is retiring, Frank won't be back, they were going to cut Ray McDonald regardless)

-Continued (Boldin won't be getting his roster bonus, Stevie's won't make the 5.5/6M he's due, Vernon is gone, one of Willis/Bowman will be gone)

-Continued (no CBs of note under contract, etc.)

-Mentioned that if Harbaugh couldn't get an extension after his success, what exactly are the expectations?

-"They are rebuilding whether they want to admit it or not. I have serious reservations about the future of that franchise."

-"If I'm a HC candidate, I want no part of that."

-"They're just going to interview a bunch of candidates, spin the wheel and see where it lands."

The guy is a chode, but it makes me nervous that is the external perception of this organization within league circles.

LOL.

BTW: The media needs to shut the EFF UP. SF has become just as bad as NY media recently and THAT could be a real deterent to come here. Why would any new HC want to deal with this inciting media circus here?
  • lazy
  • Veteran
2-3 years.
  • dj43
It all spins around how the new HC/OC can do with the quarterback situation. If they can turn CK into an effective, consistent passer, the team will be back in the playoffs next season. If not....

Injuries played less of a role this year than some are claiming. We didn't miss the playoffs because the defense did not perform. We all know that. So what is the critical fix? We all know the answer to that one as well.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for Ether.
Originally posted by dj43:
It all spins around how the new HC/OC can do with the quarterback situation. If they can turn CK into an effective, consistent passer, the team will be back in the playoffs next season. If not....

Injuries played less of a role this year than some are claiming. We didn't miss the playoffs because the defense did not perform. We all know that. So what is the critical fix? We all know the answer to that one as well.

If Harbaugh the "QB Genius" couldn't do it how can anyone else do it
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Arizona made the playoffs this year didn't they? If the talent exists, the team will continue to be successful... during the drought the 9ers were easily one of if not the least talented team in the NFL.

I think people are giving Harbaugh far too much credit... for an offensive guru and QB whisperer those two things pretty much stunk under him.

I think the biggest problem is the Super Bowl Champion or bust attitude... even the best don't consistently win the SB or compete in it. Belichick has won 3 SB's in 20 seasons as a head coach... and NONE in the last 9 years. It seems that under Jed that is a fire-able offense.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:
Just listened to a scathing podcast from Jason LaCanfora on CBSSports.com. Among the highlights:

-Compared Jed to Dan Snyder

-Mentioned the team is in decline

-Mentioned the bad cap situation (Justin Smith is retiring, Frank won't be back, they were going to cut Ray McDonald regardless)

-Continued (Boldin won't be getting his roster bonus, Stevie's won't make the 5.5/6M he's due, Vernon is gone, one of Willis/Bowman will be gone)

-Continued (no CBs of note under contract, etc.)

-Mentioned that if Harbaugh couldn't get an extension after his success, what exactly are the expectations?

-"They are rebuilding whether they want to admit it or not. I have serious reservations about the future of that franchise."

-"If I'm a HC candidate, I want no part of that."

-"They're just going to interview a bunch of candidates, spin the wheel and see where it lands."

The guy is a chode, but it makes me nervous that is the external perception of this organization within league circles.

I think some points are true and some are half true.

Jed is not Dan Snyder- Snyder likes to make big name FA acquisitions and overpays a lots of players- Snyder also plays favorites with players - Jed fired a coach who he couldn't stand and is cheap like his dad, and I never heard of him siding with a player over a coach.

Losing a coach like Jim could throw this team into a decline but that is speculation at this point and not fact it could turn out like Dungy in Tampa or Dungy in Indy

Cap situation from what I understand is not dire. There are tough decisions to be made but same can be said for every team. I can see moving on from Iupati and V. Davis but I can't see either Willis and Bowman being let go my concern is that they both recover fully and play at a high level.

Boldin and S Johnson are going to be a concern contractually. Boldin earned his paycheck and has shown no signs of slowing down but we do need find someone to lessen his loss when he finally does go. S Johnson you may be able to extend his contract and lower the cap number with more years, cause right now he is overpaid but with no Crabtree he is still needed to fill the void. Gore I think will come back on 2 year hometown discount (which will in reality be a 1 year deal w/ 2nd year option). Not many teams are going to pay top dollar for an over 30 workhorse back when mid to late round RBs are having success.

Cox or Culliver one will be resigned and Jimmie Ward will be in year 2 and hopefully healthy & D Johnson looks promising. So you will have Reid, Bethea, Brock, Cox (maybe Culliver but he does have legal problems), Ward, & Cook- thrown in a rookie or 2 and it should be good. Granted the success of secondary is predicated on retaining Fangio since a lot of it is scheme. The DL concerns me with Justin Smith gone but we have replaced Soap, RJF, & A. Franklin all with no consequence. Not to mention Dorsey and Williams are both returning.

Harbaugh wasn't fired due to lack of success. He was fired because he doesn't work well with others and drives FO/ Jed crazy. I think coaches interviewing will understand that from an insider perspective more so than the fans- its a small fraternity of these guys and they all hear the stories that don't get published.

There are currently only 5 HC positions available someone will take the job,

This is not a rebuild - Our defense need a player here or there to step up. Our offensive line is set for next year Staley, Brandon Thomas, Marcus Martin, A Davis, Boone, & Kilgore can play G or C. - We do need a swing tackle and some retooling and it is a lot different in years past but the players are on the roster just need the experience- this may or may not pan out but same could have been said when Iupati and Davis started and that turned out well. TE needs an upgrade but that can be done with one good guy preferably 2 but one should be enough. WR needs some explosiveness and RB can use a young guy as a change of pace but not a glaring hole at the position.

The interviews are probably more scouting & evaluating than than they are for the fact that they have no idea what direction to go.

I don't like Jim's firing and it could be a huge costly miscalculation by Jed/Trent- however the defense is still good enough to keep us in almost every game- The offense now needs to start pulling its weight. If they nail the hire and have half decent draft there is no reason we shouldn't be a competing for the playoffs. The biggest concern a coach should have coming in is Kap. I'm a Kap fan and think he can bring home a trophy but in the world of pocket passing NFL tradition it may turn a few guys off to coming here. They need to realize if Wilson could do it in Seattle, Kap can do it in SF, but again how does that fit in a coaches scheme that is dependent on a traditional pocket guy?
Lol, someone should lok this up! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! We missed the playoffs once on the past four years..we are barely parched

11 months
Originally posted by CWin4949:
11 years

FTFY
Whoever voted for 10+ years, why are you even on this forum?
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by dj43:

If Harbaugh the "QB Genius" couldn't do it how can anyone else do it

My answer to that is; Harbaugh wasn't the QB genius many thought him to be. He was a very good cheerleader and motivator, however, when it came to really teaching the fine points of playing the position, he couldn't. We also know that Chryst, never having played the position, was not a great QB position coach either.

The more I see of the Ravens and how this year Gary Kubiak has turned Flacco into a very good drop back passer, cut down on sacks and hits, and improved the overall efficiency of their offense, the more I am hopping on the Kubiak bandwagon for HC. I believe, more than Mike Shanahan, Kubiak is the kind of "teacher" this offense, and this quarterback needs.
5-10 years
Share 49ersWebzone