LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

Eric Wright to start?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The irony of this thread is we're now putting our faith in Eric Wright because Culliver can't stay out of trouble. FML
Originally posted by Hopper:
Eric Wright has a ton of starting experience. It's definitely possible he could start.

I agree. He has some playmaking skills too. Aggressively plays the ball. His problem has been consistency. Got roasted in TB, but it was a bad scheme fit. Fangio/Donatell seem to have a knack for getting solid play out of all the corners.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM ]
He was really f**king solid in the Packers game, I went back to go look at the film, he really held his own in those final f**king Seahawks games, I remember the Seattle game was like his first start of the season, and he played nickel (mostly), and really sewed up Tate.
Thanks SofaKing!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thanks SofaKing!

Didn't he cover Harvin with the lions.. I think I remember hearing he did ok
If I were a 49er CB not named Culliver this would be a great motivator to work my rear end off to compete for the starting job! Not that they need any more motivation but every bit helps and even a guy like Morris must see the door a bit wider this weekend than it was last week. Hope Harbaugh and staff are using this to good advantage. Even if Culliver makes it through this without being incarcinated it will be a huge distraction for him. Of course, maybe he will be more motivated as well.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If I were a 49er CB not named Culliver this would be a great motivator to work my rear end off to compete for the starting job! Not that they need any more motivation but every bit helps and even a guy like Morris must see the door a bit wider this weekend than it was last week. Hope Harbaugh and staff are using this to good advantage. Even if Culliver makes it through this without being incarcinated it will be a huge distraction for him. Of course, maybe he will be more motivated as well.
Once the season starts the games will be all anyone else is talking about. Trust me!
Originally posted by Brando85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Brando85:
Given that Culliver will inevitably get let go, it's clear most of the zone assume we must go corner in the first round. I certainly don't disagree, but I'm curious on your thoughts regarding Eric Wright stepping in to start?

I think an entire off-season of reps in our scheme ought to be a great primer for him to regain his form. While I doubt he is the long-term fix, I think he has shown an ability to be an above average corner in this league.
That's a big assumption right there. Culliver's issues will probably take a year or two to resolve legally anyhow.

As to the topic, I have no issues with Wright starting. It just means we have one less nickle guy. Cox still plays the same spot and it means Cook and Morris battle it out as well. We were going to draft another two CB's anyhow, someone mentioned Dax Swanson has some underrated skills as well and following Baalke's M.O., he would be bringing in another older, under-the-radar CB anyhow about a month before the draft (or after). And watch out for the 6 & 7th rounders and UDFA's. Can Wright play as well as Culliver? Who knows...maybe this will end up being a blessing in disguise and buy Culliver extra time to heal and work his way (and life) back into football focus. SInce there was no serious bodily injury or physical assault and this is his first time offense (he panicked), it's possible nothing much comes from it but it will certainly help us in contract negotiations (LOL).

Big assumption? This isn't Aldon Smith. Regardless of the length of legal ramifications, I can not imagaine a scenario where this franchise supports and keeps Chris Culliver. Not sure what he has proven on the field to warrant the team holding on to him, and I say this as a fan who was looking forward to him starting in 2014.

You're kidding right? Baalke wanted Culliver to start two year ago (3rd rounder) and prior to the Superbowl, was playing fantastic. He was just talking about how much Culliver was humbled by his knee injury and overcoming his comments from the Superbowl to make good. This isn't Aldon where he is a raging alcoholic who could have actually KILLED someone with throwing a gang-party or driving while fully intoxicated (twice) or rolling his car (dangerous driving sober).

If we learned anything from the Aldon and Brooks situation, it's to be patient and wait for ALL of the facts to come out. And again, since nobody was seriously injured or physically assaulted, he'll probably just get a slap on the wrist. What he did was wrong (panicked) but it's understandable given how everyone is looking for the free handout. Even Brooks' own teammate tried to extort money from him!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:07 AM ]
Wright actually played well in his limited time last year and seems like he genuinely wants to stay here. Cool guy just off reading his blogs, but lets see if he could actually stay healthy.

Share 49ersWebzone