LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 169 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
NCommand, team is now $5.2M under. Add in a part where Rogers' money becomes available June 2nd, and likely for a Kap extension.

Updated brother. Thank you...still left a few of your contract projections in there as they make nice references between what fair-market value was compared to what a guy like Whitner actually signed for. Outragreous! Well done!
Looking at our team as a whole going into this season, boy has expectations and personnel changed from a few years ago when we were the laughing stock of the league.

We had the luxury last yr will extra picks to take a chance on injured players (Tank and Lattimore) who should both contribute this year. On top of that we have extra picks again this year too. So before the draft its as if we picked up a RB and DL which basically crosses off both positions as immediate needs in any early round picks (can always draft DL for depth in later rounds).

I personnally think if we can sign Edelman to a decent contract we should, otherwise let Patton / rookie battle it out for 3rd WR spot. I think Safety is still a high priority. I am not sold on Bathea, and Reid had 2 concussions in year 1. Trading up for 1 or landing one early in round 2 would be my choice. With the other being CB of course.
I'm going to be honest with you guys...you thought the draft picks would have a hard time carving out a place for us last year (save for on the I.R. list), imagine the draftees THIS year. One thing Baalke stresses over and over and over again, is that he has VERY high expectations for players from year 1 to year 2 and to prove it, he usually brings in players to push those guys even more. And everyone, I mean everyone, has a chance to earn a starting spot no matter who is in front of them on the depth chart. Look at this insane list of players with big targeted expectations to perform at a very high level in 2014:

Martin (if not, he's gone), Carradine, Dial, Williams, TJE, Okoye, Brock (2nd year as a starter), Wright, Morris, Patton, Lattimore, Hampton, Marquardt, Kilgore, Looney, Reid, CK (2nd full year), McDonald (coaches already said he'll be incorporated more into the passing game), Boldin/Dorsey (2nd year in our offense/defense), Culliver, Baldwin, Wilhoite, etc.

Am I forgetting anyone?

Any player we draft/UDFA in 2014 is going to have one hell of a hard time pushing those in front of them AND getting on the field at all in 2014. 2015 will be their year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
49ers clearly interested in 3-receiver sets

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/5837/49ers-clearly-interested-using-in-more-three-receiver-sets
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm going to be honest with you guys...you thought the draft picks would have a hard time carving out a place for us last year (save for on the I.R. list), imagine the draftees THIS year. One thing Baalke stresses over and over and over again, is that he has VERY high expectations for players from year 1 to year 2 and to prove it, he usually brings in players to push those guys even more. And everyone, I mean everyone, has a chance to earn a starting spot no matter who is in front of them on the depth chart. Look at this insane list of players with big targeted expectations to perform at a very high level in 2014:

Martin (if not, he's gone), Carradine, Dial, Williams, TJE, Okoye, Brock (2nd year as a starter), Wright, Morris, Patton, Lattimore, Hampton, Marquardt, Kilgore, Looney, Reid, CK (2nd full year), McDonald (coaches already said he'll be incorporated more into the passing game), Boldin/Dorsey (2nd year in our offense/defense), Culliver, Baldwin, Wilhoite, etc.

Am I forgetting anyone?

Any player we draft/UDFA in 2014 is going to have one hell of a hard time pushing those in front of them AND getting on the field at all in 2014. 2015 will be their year.

Wow! That is a promising list. I hope Baalke trades for some picks in the future because we really are stacked.
Originally posted by buck:
49ers clearly interested in 3-receiver sets

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/5837/49ers-clearly-interested-using-in-more-three-receiver-sets

It makes sense when you have an effective #3. Spreading the field out will give more space in the running game. Plus it seems like the most logical step for Kaeps progression. I would love to have Edelmen in the slot.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:

Am I forgetting anyone?

Wow! That is a promising list. I hope Baalke trades for some picks in the future because we really are stacked.

Pretty nuts huh!? Aside from a #1 CB/Dynamic Kick Returner, I don't see any other players even in place to crack the lineup for 2014. This draft will be centered upon "quality" this year and this group will clearly be trained for future integration (SS, CB, WR, etc.).

Am I forgetting anyone?

Pretty nuts huh!? Aside from a #1 CB/Dynamic Kick Returner, I don't see any other players even in place to crack the lineup for 2014. This draft will be centered upon "quality" this year and this group will clearly be trained for future integration (SS, CB, WR, etc.).

Yeah...I think there will be a couple of spots open for competition but for the most part the team is building the old fashion way...making guys earn their spots on STs and through a couple of years apprenticeship. Love this development as it helps when the they can't afford to keep all their FAs...if and when that day comes...under Baalke it seems an unending balance will continue.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Am I forgetting anyone?

Yeah...I think there will be a couple of spots open for competition but for the most part the team is building the old fashion way...making guys earn their spots on STs and through a couple of years apprenticeship. Love this development as it helps when the they can't afford to keep all their FAs...if and when that day comes...under Baalke it seems an unending balance will continue.

Amen!
And like I was saying, 'They Want Me to Be a Press Guy' ~ Chris Cook.

I told you guys Baalke was tired of seeing our off-CB's getting run over in the playoffs. Now you have tough, physical, agressive CB's in Culliver, Brock, Wright and Cook to play press and Bethea comes from that system as well and Reid can now roam ala Chancellor. We are changing the defensive mentality. Very interesting. I never thought I'd see this. And equally important, it means we will probably be bringing more heat on the QB as well. Perhaps we'll allow Willis to play more down hill and blitz. AB can blitz as well. And with press CB's, disguising blitzes is much easier to do...come flying in off the edge. This should be a fun revolution to watch. I can't wait to see the other pieces in place. I want to see how well Morris has developed in the slot as well. I have little doubt now we'll nail down a top press blue chip CB and one slot CB as well.

I told you guys Baalke was tired of seeing our off-CB's getting run over in the playoffs. Now you have tough, physical, agressive CB's in Culliver, Brock, Wright and Cook to play press and Bethea comes from that system as well and Reid can now roam ala Chancellor. We are changing the defensive mentality. Very interesting. I never thought I'd see this. And equally important, it means we will probably be bringing more heat on the QB as well. Perhaps we'll allow Willis to play more down hill and blitz. AB can blitz as well. And with press CB's, disguising blitzes is much easier to do...come flying in off the edge. This should be a fun revolution to watch. I can't wait to see the other pieces in place. I want to see how well Morris has developed in the slot as well. I have little doubt now we'll nail down a top press blue chip CB and one slot CB as well.

This would be really thrilling to see. Don't want to get my hopes up but will cross my fingers and wait! If they pick up a first level CB in FAcy or in the draft then my hope threshold goes into overdrive!

Tired of seeing the CBs playing way off the line.

Do you think this means Darqueeze Dennard is our guy in the first?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This would be really thrilling to see. Don't want to get my hopes up but will cross my fingers and wait! If they pick up a first level CB in FAcy or in the draft then my hope threshold goes into overdrive!

Tired of seeing the CBs playing way off the line.

Agreed. Why give receivers a free release off the LOS? That strategy has got to go. Maybe that's why they were in no hurry to resign TBrown.
With all these picks, Niners will likely flip some for future picks in better rounds and we should see some trade ups. We will definitely be active this draft in going after who we want if we believe they're going to go earlier than our choices. I'm excited, we have been pretty good in hitting on players that we move up to target. We've run into more issues when we just stand pat and let the players fall as they may, like in 2012.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Agreed. Why give receivers a free release off the LOS? That strategy has got to go. Maybe that's why they were in no hurry to resign TBrown.

Morris, Cook and Wright are all faster than Brown, Brock and Rogers. Whether that equates to better coverage skills is questionable but I like this staff's ability to pick and develop players. I think we are seeing a remake of the defensive backfield this year to a more aggressive and quicker group who can recover and still make plays. Now, if they can do the same with the WR position that would be great. Behind Boldin and Crabtree there is just a series of question marks!
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Do you think this means Darqueeze Dennard is our guy in the first?

Or a guy like McGill being more likely in the late 2nd round.
Share 49ersWebzone