#4 NT to groom because Dorsey and Ian cannot be trusted healthwise
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
2015 Needs Player wise are

#1 Game breaker WR
#2 Beefy 3-4 type DE
#3 CB Lockdown type either FA or Draft
#4 OG to replace and make people forget the nightmare Iupati
#4 NT to groom because Dorsey and Ian cannot be trusted healthwise

Looks like you've ID some of the same top spots as well. NT is a good one as well but with Dorsey, Williams and now Dial with experience there, I'll probably add that one to the Third Tier. I'm looking forward to FA as Baalke eliminates many of these "current needs" and sets us up nicely in the draft. Here is to 7-9! LOL

Top Tier: No particular order within the tiers...
#1 HC/OC + Staff - New HC/OC with a professional offensive system and proven coaching staff. Many of the offensive picks will be based on players who fit that new system (i.e. WCO).
#2 Z WR/Dynamic Returner - This may be priority #1 for personnel. We could probably use a speedster as well as a bigger-bodied possession WR who's got top-talent to pair with Boldin/Johnson.
#3 QB - Veteran backup and hand-picked QB by the HC/OC in round 2 to fit the offensive system and develop over time (and push CK).
#4 LCB & RCB/Dynamic Returner - This could be a top pick if Cox, Culliver & Cook take off esp. if he doubles as a dynamic returner. This could drop down a tier with the long-term signings of either Culliver, Cox and Cook (or all 3).
#5 LT & RT - You can never have too many good T's.

Second Tier:
#6 SAM - This will be a bigger priority if Brooks is cut.
#7 TED - Will need another backup if Wilhoite is gone.
#8 RB - Whether Frank stays or goes, the new HC/OC may still want to go with Hyde and will draft another RB just in case for his system.
#9 TE - We could us a tall 6'6" TE who can catch for the RZ and to split out wide.
#10 LG - Could use a push-player here.
#11 RDE - Could use a top talent here as well to be safe.

Third Tier:
# 12 NICKLE CB - It couldn't hurt to push the group we have already.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Here's what I got so far. Not including any of our free agents, and I'm assuming Ahmad Brooks is a cap casualty:
QB
Colin Kaepernick
*Need to draft a rookie and bring in a wise vet

RB
Carlos Hyde
Kendall Hunter
*Need to bring back Gore. If Hunter needs more time we cant go into the season with only Hyde and a rookie.

FB
Bruce Miller
Trey Millard
*Perfect here and Millard can be the #3 TE

WR
Anquan Boldin
Stevie Johnson (could be cap casualty)
Quinton Patton
Bruce Ellington
*Retain SJ and bring in 1-2 rookies. One of those rookies needs to be a stud.

TE
Vernon Davis (sucked ass this year, but I'll assume he's back)
Vance McDonald
Derek Carrier
*If VD was actually hurt I will give him a pass. If not, trade his ass. Really wouldn't have a problem dumping Vance if he shows no improvement.

OL
Joe Staley
Anthony Davis
Alex Boone
Joe Looney
Daniel Kilgore
Marcus Martin
Jonathan Martin
Brandon Thomas
*Dump Martin and draft a rookie for OT.

DL
Justin Smith (could retire, but I get the feeling he'll complete his contract)
Glenn Dorsey
Ian Williams
Tank Carradine
Quinton Dial
Kaleb Ramsey
*With RayMac gone looking at DE is now important. Still think we need to draft a NT.

OLB
Aldon Smith
Aaron Lynch
Corey Lemonier
Chase Thomas
*I would retain Skuta for vet presence and put Thomas back on the PS. Brooks I'm torn on, when he's hot he's great. Maybe for the right price we can keep him. If we can keep Brooks I would dump Lemonhead.

ILB
Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Chris Borland
Nick Moody
Shane Skov
*If Bowman and Willis come back at 100%, I'm fine with Borland and Moody. Skov back to the PS.

CB
Tramaine Brock
Dontae Johnson
Leon McFadden
Kenneth Acker
Keith Reaser
*Really want both Cully and Cox back. If we only get one, keep Cox.

S
Eric Reid
Antoine Bethea
Jimmie Ward
Craig Dahl (possible cap casualty)
L.J. McCray
*Dump Dahl now

ST
Phil Dawson
Andy Lee
Kyle Nelson
*Fine here

Good stuff jreff22!
Originally posted by bayareafanatic1:
Our 49ers are roughly $2 million under the CAP. Sounds bad except we should be alright with the addition by subtraction strategy.
Gone should be Brooks $4.5 million, Vernon $6.5 million and Justin Smith $6.5 million. Also IMO Stevie Johnson ( $6 million ) should be restructured to half that amount. This alone should put us near $20 million under the CAP.

Players I'd like to see resigned....

Gore as a third back $1.5 million
Culliver played well down the stretch 3 year $12 million
Josh Johnson or Gabbert $1.5 million

What do you think?

Good stuff!

Overall: There is a lot of very young to young talent on offense in Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert, Carlos Hyde, Derek Carrier,Vance McDonald, Bruce Miller, Trey Millard, Bruce Ellington, Stevie Johnson, Quinton Patton, Luke Marquardt, Brandon Thomas, Joe Looney, Dillon Farrell, Marcus Martin,Daniel Kilgore, etc.

Cap, pronounced, Kaep: (Base Salary)(Dead Money)(Cap Savings)
Targets for restructures, resigns or cuts. Here are our top cap guys and we're going to open some space up most likely with the likely (or serious considerations) departures of: Brooks, J.Smith, Gore, Crabtree, Lloyd, Iupati, V.Davis, etc. The new HC/OC will want to retool his OL and play makers to his system while bringing in talent that fits the scheme as well. So we may be going away from plodders in the OL and look to more athleticism with guys like Kilgore, Thomas, Boone (left tackle), Staley (right tackle), etc.

Colin Kaepernick ($10,400,000)($9,863,013)($5,402,740)
Aldon Smith ($9,754,000)($0)($9,754,000)
Ahmad Brooks ($6,000,000)($5,546,250)($4,102,500)
NaVorro Bowman ($4,700,000)($8,016,000)($388,000)
Patrick Willis ($7,065,000)($843,500)($7,424,500)
Vernon Davis ($4,350,000)($2,067,920)($4,950,000)
Anquan Boldin ($5,500,000)($3,636,000)($3,273,000)
Anthony Davis ($2,350,000)($6,366,670)($350,000)
Ray McDonald ($4,100,000)($4,609,971)($1,866,014)
Justin Smith ($2,650,000)($2,186,668)($4,250,000)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Our 49ers are roughly $2 million under the CAP. Sounds bad except we should be alright with the addition by subtraction strategy.
Gone should be Brooks $4.5 million, Vernon $6.5 million and Justin Smith $6.5 million. Also IMO Stevie Johnson ( $6 million ) should be restructured to half that amount. This alone should put us near $20 million under the CAP.

What do you think?

Good stuff!

Overall: There is a lot of very young to young talent on offense in Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert, Carlos Hyde, Derek Carrier,Vance McDonald, Bruce Miller, Trey Millard, Bruce Ellington, Stevie Johnson, Quinton Patton, Luke Marquardt, Brandon Thomas, Joe Looney, Dillon Farrell, Marcus Martin,Daniel Kilgore, etc.

Targets for restructures, resigns or cuts. Here are our top cap guys and we're going to open some space up most likely with the likely (or serious considerations) departures of: Brooks, J.Smith, Gore, Crabtree, Lloyd, Iupati, V.Davis, etc. The new HC/OC will want to retool his OL and play makers to his system while bringing in talent that fits the scheme as well. So we may be going away from plodders in the OL and look to more athleticism with guys like Kilgore, Thomas, Boone (left tackle), Staley (right tackle), etc.

I'm kind of torn on Ahmad Brooks. He's an easy target for a cap casualty with the emergence of Aaron Lynch. I'm not quite ready to make Lynch a starter. What I'm really concerned about is keeping Dan Skuta who's a solid player and makes plays when given the opportunity. If we can get Skuta for similar money to what we signed him for last time, I'm all in. Anything more and we will likely have to let him go. I think no matter what, if Aldon Smith keeps his head on straight, Brooks will probably be gone. Either way, we have some decisions to make. Ideally, I'd like to keep Brooks for at least one more season and still somehow sign Skuta, but money is limited.

The other big question is Chris Culliver. A secondary of Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver, Dontae Johnson, and Perrish Cox would give us four guys I'd be comfortable with starting no matter what combination. But again, what will be the price tag? These are good problems to have, but I think it's likely we lose either Culliver or Cox and I prefer we keep Cox (ability to play the slot). I trust Trent Baalke and his ability to find talented DBs. I trust Ed Donatell and his ability to coach them and Vic Fangio to put them in positions to succeed.

I'm not sure if the O-line need to be retooled. There is so much talent there and I think with better coaching and a passing game that emphasizes quick passes and getting rid of the ball quickly will improve them. Not to mention getting 5 consistent starters on the O-line. A better O-line coach will probably minimize some of the absolute whiffs in pass protection where Kap has pressure in his face 0.5 seconds after the ball is snapped. I do think we need to bring in a tackle to compete for the backup spots with Jonathan Martin, but otherwise I think we're set.

I'd also like to see this lineup that many on the Zone are fascinated with of Joe Staley-Brandon Thomas-Dan Kilgore-Anthony Davis-Alex Boone. Should be enough athleticism to run a screen behind the left side.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

What do you think?

Good stuff!

I'm kind of torn on Ahmad Brooks. He's an easy target for a cap casualty with the emergence of Aaron Lynch. I'm not quite ready to make Lynch a starter. What I'm really concerned about is keeping Dan Skuta who's a solid player and makes plays when given the opportunity. If we can get Skuta for similar money to what we signed him for last time, I'm all in. Anything more and we will likely have to let him go. I think no matter what, if Aldon Smith keeps his head on straight, Brooks will probably be gone. Either way, we have some decisions to make. Ideally, I'd like to keep Brooks for at least one more season and still somehow sign Skuta, but money is limited.

The other big question is Chris Culliver. A secondary of Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver, Dontae Johnson, and Perrish Cox would give us four guys I'd be comfortable with starting no matter what combination. But again, what will be the price tag? These are good problems to have, but I think it's likely we lose either Culliver or Cox and I prefer we keep Cox (ability to play the slot). I trust Trent Baalke and his ability to find talented DBs. I trust Ed Donatell and his ability to coach them and Vic Fangio to put them in positions to succeed.

I'm not sure if the O-line need to be retooled. There is so much talent there and I think with better coaching and a passing game that emphasizes quick passes and getting rid of the ball quickly will improve them. Not to mention getting 5 consistent starters on the O-line. A better O-line coach will probably minimize some of the absolute whiffs in pass protection where Kap has pressure in his face 0.5 seconds after the ball is snapped. I do think we need to bring in a tackle to compete for the backup spots with Jonathan Martin, but otherwise I think we're set.

I'd also like to see this lineup that many on the Zone are fascinated with of Joe Staley-Brandon Thomas-Dan Kilgore-Anthony Davis-Alex Boone. Should be enough athleticism to run a screen behind the left side.

Very nice post LN! Very nice...I too agree on all fronts.

It's about to get serious really quick.
Will saying goodbye to Harbaugh negatively impact attaining top FAs? I think it will unless the team brings in a coach of at least equal stature.

This will put more pressure on draft picks to perform sooner rather than later.

If J Smith decides to retire, A Smith is punished for being w/McDonald...it will be an even tougher job for a new coach to walk into.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Will saying goodbye to Harbaugh negatively impact attaining top FAs? I think it will unless the team brings in a coach of at least equal stature.

If J Smith decides to retire, A Smith is punished for being w/McDonald...it will be an even tougher job for a new coach to walk into.

Fair question...other than trade, I couldn't imagine ANY WR wanting to come here via FA knowing that our WR (rotating) leaders average 4-6 catches a game (or used as decoys). With a change in offensive philosophy, could that change? Also, other than J.Martin, who has come here b/c of Harbaugh even when we offered similar money? Neither Boldin nor John Harbaugh new about the trade for a 6th rounder so that seemed to be between Baalke and Ozzie. Baalke backed that up (confirming his approach) shortly afterwards by acquiring Stevie Johnson in a trade as well. Meanwhile, many players (esp. in Seattle) have publically discredited him. Nolan seemed to be a coach that not only could attrack FA's but acquire them. I haven't seen that with Harbaugh.

So could we see a different result this off season in FA?
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM ]

Fair question...other than trade, I couldn't imagine ANY WR wanting to come here via FA knowing that our WR (rotating) leaders average 4-6 catches a game (or used as decoys). With a change in offensive philosophy, could that change? Also, other than J.Martin, who has come here b/c of Harbaugh even when we offered similar money? Neither Boldin nor John Harbaugh new about the trade for a 6th rounder so that seemed to be between Baalke and Ozzie. Baalke backed that up (confirming his approach) shortly afterwards by acquiring Stevie Johnson in a trade as well. Meanwhile, many players (esp. in Seattle) have publically discredited him. Nolan seemed to be a coach that not only could attrack FA's but acquire them. I haven't seen that with Harbaugh.

Idk if Nolan so much as attracted free agents. He more so paid top dollar, so they came lol. Stevie Johnson probably was cool with being here because it's close to home. Anquan Boldin was/is ok with it because we gave him guaranteed money, would not ask him to take a pay cut, and we are a contender. I think if I'm a free agent at any position besides receiver, especially if my team is a bottom feeder, I'd be interested in coming to San Francisco if my own team offers me similar money. But the HC/OC situation is one to be monitored. The FO has A LOT of explaining to do, and I'm actually on their side.

WR might be the only position helped by JH leaving...but only if a legit OC or HC/OC takes over. An unknown college guy wouldn't help as much as a Holmgren or KShannahan type. Nolan picked up some OL beyond their prime but he was a D guy and attracted some good players on that side.

WR might be the only position helped by JH leaving...but only if a legit OC or HC/OC takes over. An unknown college guy wouldn't help as much as a Holmgren or KShannahan type. Nolan picked up some OL beyond their prime but he was a D guy and attracted some good players on that side.

He overpaid. Remember Nate Clements? Eight years, 80 million (although it was really more like 45 million over 6). Tully Banta Cain and the contract he got. I don't understand the Bengals logic in letting Justin Smith go. Maybe they thought he had reached his ceiling? He clearly took it to another level in San Francisco. Either way, if Baalke opens up the checkbook, big name free agents are coming. Knowing Baalke, he likely won't, and I'm not knocking him. I love the way he doesn't pour tons into free agency. It's what has allowed us to field such a deep team. But outside of receiver, I'm not worried at all about guys coming.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
He overpaid. Remember Nate Clements? Eight years, 80 million (although it was really more like 45 million over 6). Tully Banta Cain and the contract he got. I don't understand the Bengals logic in letting Justin Smith go. Maybe they thought he had reached his ceiling? He clearly took it to another level in San Francisco. Either way, if Baalke opens up the checkbook, big name free agents are coming. Knowing Baalke, he likely won't, and I'm not knocking him. I love the way he doesn't pour tons into free agency. It's what has allowed us to field such a deep team. But outside of receiver, I'm not worried at all about guys coming.

Yes, recall very clearly, which is why I appreciate that aspect of Baalke's performance.
edit
Share 49ersWebzone