There are 204 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

side note...why is the boston globe beating bay area reporters to the punch on this story?
Head Coach and QB are the two most imp pieces...regardless of whether it's a team sport, etc.

He has done some really good things for the 49ers in the playoffs, with his legs too. I think QB mostly implies throwing ability, and that's the skill that lasts over time. Kaep has to show more/growth before he can be deemed a great throwing QB.

If he is willing to wait another year, that would be perfect for both sides. If he wants something done this offseason, then $12-14 mill for 3 years. I don't know how much gaurantee, so how much ever that works out to be.
Once the contract is signed, the 49ers can always give him more next year (bump up to $18m), if he continues to show improvement. Easier said than done, but possible. It all depends on how much each side wants to please the other.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Alex took a 2-14 team to the playoffs. Kap took a 13-3 (or 6-2 depending on how you look at it) team to...oh yeah... play-offs. He did 2 games better. Wow.

Alex isn't and won't be part of the team, but you're out of your mind with that comment.

Yeah, he carried them with his QB rating in the 70s.

The Chiefs fell apart around the same time that their defense fell apart, that was the driving force of that team, the defense, when it couldn't come through, KC was done.

And the NFC west >>>>> AFC West.
What is Kaepernick's worth? Kaepernick's worth is whatever the market says it should be. It's just that simple. I think the market is out of wack, but I think the NFL does too because the cap is evidently set to blow up to over $140 million next year.
Just pay Kaep, just pay Harbaugh and lets end all this offseason crap
Originally posted by valrod33:

This. Pay them both and shut the haters up.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I know they all want so much money, but imagine how much talent could be had if QB's only took $10 million per year and other positions took more reasonable contracts. These guys want so much, but it often comes at the cost of the rest of the team. I mean, what the heck are you going to do with $10 million each year? I certainly couldn't spend that much money.

And wouldn't it be great if Roger Goodell didn't make north of 40 million dollars and wouldn't it be great if the Owners didn't lock out the players crying poor and wouldn't it be great if there was no salary cap so that the players could make their true value? Then everyone can be happy and there will be more money to go around. I mean, what the heck is Robert Craft going to with 50 million dollars each year? (And keep in mind Craft's career will not end as quickly as an NFL QB) I certainly couldn't spend that much money.

All Colin is doing is reportedly ASKING for is 18 M a season. Doesn't seem so bad to me.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ltrain:
side note...why is the boston globe beating bay area reporters to the punch on this story?

Cause Brady is getting old and they'll be looking for a QB pretty soon.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

This. Pay them both and shut the haters up.

sadly there will be much more of it, i believe jed said about talking contract with harbs after the draft. they moved the draft back this year so there will be much more of this stuff until then.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for DeUh.

This.

• buck
  • Veteran
Report: Kaepernick wants at least $17M a year

Sources tell the Boston Globe that Colin Kaepernick wants a deal similar to or slightly better than the ones recently signed by Jay Cutler and Tony Romo.

Cutler signed a seven-year deal that included an average of $18.2 million per season and guaranteed $54 million in the first three years. Romo got $17.0 million in average annual salary and $55 million guaranteed in his seven-year pact. Kaepernick is 21-8 as a starter (including four playoff wins), has been to a Super Bowl, is just 26 years old and is entering the final year of his rookie contract. If the Niners don't meet his financial demands, he'll have no problem betting on himself and playing out this season in hopes of breaking the bank in 2015. Franchise quarterbacks are going to get something near $20 million annually these days.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/284041/report-boldin--and--niners-nearing-new-contract
[ Edited by buck on Mar 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM ]
Offer him a 7 year contract for $110 Million, with $55 Million Guaranteed over 3 years.
If he declines then
Make him play next year for <$1million.
Then offer him to a 6 year, $95 million contract, $40 million guaranteed over 3 years.
If he says no then franchise him.
Then the next year offer him 5 years at $80 million with $28 million guaranteed over 3 years.

I think the more times he gets hit in the knees the more attractive that guaranteed money starts to look.
7 years for $110 mil? Why would Kaepernick and his agents take a $15.7 mil per year deal when QB's like Stafford, Cutler and Romo make $2-3 million more per year?

"Make him play next year for <$1million" Why would you want to hard-ball and alienate a QB that the coaching staff wants to groom as a long-term franchise QB? I'm guessing they have a lot more respect for him than that.
Originally posted by crake49:
7 years for $110 mil? Why would Kaepernick and his agents take a $15.7 mil per year deal when QB's like Stafford, Cutler and Romo make $2-3 million more per year?

"Make him play next year for <$1million" Why would you want to hard-ball and alienate a QB that the coaching staff wants to groom as a long-term franchise QB? I'm guessing they have a lot more respect for him than that.

we dont do this to anyone on our team who we consider a long term core player. all of our guys have been extended before playing the final season of their deal. i expect this to be no different.
It's easy to say "pay the man" when it's not our money. Players CHOOSE to play in the NFL, knowing careers are relatively short and risks are great. They are not ENTITLED to exorbitant contracts that would set 20 or 30 average citizens up for life. The costs to attend games or purchase season tickets have gone thru the roof as well, making it harder and harder for the working class stiff to afford. Where does it stop?
In the case of Kap, an argument may be made that he regressed somewhat from his prior year's play. How does that justify $18 mil a year? How does ANYTHING justify $18 mil a year?
Share 49ersWebzone