There are 185 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by ayetee:
Originally posted by NinersGiants:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think he'll be in the $100 mill range. Some of these dudes getting north of that aren't half the QBs Kap is. Kap has that "it" factor that a lot of these guys around the league just don't have. They're great fantasy point earners, but when the pressure is on, they fold. Kap turns it up a notch when that time comes. That's why he's gonna get paid.

"it" factor, he was 31st in passing through week 11 and had less running than Alex Smith lol

Kaep is capable of bring home the SB whereas it is a pipe dream with Alex Smith.

Alex took a 2-14 team to the playoffs. Kap took a 13-3 (or 6-2 depending on how you look at it) team to...oh yeah... play-offs. He did 2 games better. Wow.

Alex isn't and won't be part of the team, but you're out of your mind with that comment.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Mar 3, 2014 at 7:30 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I agree which is why I don't give him an $18 mil per season contract this year. NO WAY. I would rather wait because the difference in contract prices between 2014 and 2015 maybe $1 - $1.5 mil per year more?

Yes Kap is a playoff QB on THIS team. I'm not even going to get into the absolutist argument because this is way more complex than some would like to think. The 49ers along with Kap are a play-off caliber team and we've all seen that when Crabtree isn't playing, Kap doesn't get better or "goes to another receiver," I can't tell you if that's a play-calling issue but I can say that this offense does him no favors in that regard. It may be the result of him simply not being or able to 100% run a pro-style offense.

How does Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford look on this team? Well both of those QBs don't have nearly as much talent as we have on either side of the ball. I'd be willing to say at this stage in their careers these other QBs are better than Kap as a passer. It's great to have a runner to avoid the rush, but even with this vaunted OL, he was still sacked 20% of the time. That's a HUGE number. Again hard to say if it's the offense or the player and probably somewhere in between.

He needs one full season under his belt where he's shown a quantum leap of improvement as a passer for me to pay him in the $18 mil/year range.

I wouldn't sign CK or Harbaugh to LT contracts until they both improve upon a 30th ranked offense and one that continues to make stupid calls/mistakes that cost us Championships. One more year...like any other player on this team.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ayetee:
18 million according to this:

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/03/02/colin-kaepernick-wants-around-18-million-per-year/

Heard the same thing on CSN Bay Area a few days ago. Supposedly Kap's agents and the front office met at the combine, and both sides liked what they heard. Kap wants Cutler money, and the team was receptive to it. That's the going rate for a top 10 QB. No surprise Kap is using that contract as a floor.

Can we all take a trip down memory lane with Jay Cutler. I think his situation will remind us all of another quarterback.

If you remember Cutler was drafted by the Broncos/Mike Shannan in 2006. What you may not remember was that Cutler was drafted onto a team that the previous year lost in the AFC Championship. The QB of the team was Jake Plummer. A mediocre QB that was not trusted by the Broncos coaching staff to win games, but he was respected. The next year (Cutler's rookie year) the Broncos were 7-4 and firmly in the playoffs when Mike decided to insert the Rookie QB. The Broncos then proceed to go backwards and miss the playoffs as young Cutler threw picks, fumbles, and made other rookie mistakes.

The next year, Cutler lead the Broncos to another mediocre record, was one to the league leaders in picks, miss the post-season again, and Shannon was fired. No one questioned Cutler. Many called him the league's best young single caller and deserved to be called a "franchise QB!" No questions. Well, in steps Josh McDaniels. Out goes Cutler to the Bears for a pair of first round drafts picks. Chicago celebrates because they just got their "franchise QB."

Only the "franchise QB" is a pick machine, and cannot lead the same team Rex Grossman took to the Superbowl, to even a winning record. Lovie Smith's defenses were blamed. His lack of weapons were to blame. His GM was to blame. Never Cutler. Over the next few seasons Cutler would finally have a winning season (his first as a starting QB since High School!) and win a playoff game. With a trip on the line to the SB, Cutler famously decided to ride a bike. He would push teammates, curse at opponents, get into arguments with coaches, show poor leadership and attitude in the media, and eventually get another Head Coach fired. He already got 5 OC fired by then.

Oh of course, he continues to be amongst the lead leaders in INTs. The post-Lovie Cutler still throws too much picks and his replacement looked like MVP Brady in his stead. He still can't get his team to the playoffs despite the Vikings tanking, the Lions imploding, and the Packers losing 4 starting QBs in the span of 3 weeks.

But a most peculiar thing just happened. The Bears signed Cutler, at age 30, one winning season under his belt, pick machine, poor leader, coach killer to an 18 million dollar a year contract! Some thought it to be absurd. Many more did not and thought it was the going rate for "franchise QBs." Another strange thing occurred. Bears fans by in large welcomed the new deal. Thought it set them up nicely for a Superbowl run. Some even thought it was a bargain..."Oh, Jay could have gotten 20 million from the Titans...or 22 million from the Raiders," they said. "Oh, how bless we are to have Jay Cutler, our bargain, 18 M annual, QB!"

I want people to juxtapose this story to Colin Kaepernick's 49ers story. One would be struck at how a lot of the details are almost identical, but the results of the two QBs are almost the exact opposite. Yet one is considered a 18 M dollar QB by his fan base. No questions asked. The other is Colin Kaepernick.

Now ask yourself: why is that?
Asking for $18 mill per year n he supposedly said he would ask for a fair contract yeah effen right Swag boy is all about himself n himself only let him play oout his contract n if takes us deep in the playoffs once tag him will see if his game grows in the next 2 seasons.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Kap's new deal 7 years $117m last two years are optional

1st year $20m
2nd year $14.25m
3rd year $14.25m
4th year $14.25m
5th year $14.25m
6th year $20m
7th year $20m

Bewm

fine print $47m guaranteed over 5 years an extra $2m for a SB win
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Alex took a 2-14 team to the playoffs. Kap took a 13-3 (or 6-2 depending on how you look at it) team to...oh yeah... play-offs. He did 2 games better. Wow.

Alex isn't and won't be part of the team, but you're out of your mind with that comment.

Yeah, he carried them with his QB rating in the 70s.

The Chiefs fell apart around the same time that their defense fell apart, that was the driving force of that team, the defense, when it couldn't come through, KC was done.
Disclaimer: Grant Cohn article http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/report-kaepernick-wants-money-cutler-romo/. Why is it that if Kap allegedly wants $18 mil/year, the headline boasts "Kap wants more money than Cutler and Romo"? If the initial report is even true, he wants the same as Romo and slightly less than Cutler. But, we'll just run with it as "more than". I'm thinking about shutting off the internet until the season starts with the media at this point.
I know they all want so much money, but imagine how much talent could be had if QB's only took $10 million per year and other positions took more reasonable contracts. These guys want so much, but it often comes at the cost of the rest of the team. I mean, what the heck are you going to do with $10 million each year? I certainly couldn't spend that much money.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Disclaimer: Grant Cohn article http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/report-kaepernick-wants-money-cutler-romo/. Why is it that if Kap allegedly wants $18 mil/year, the headline boasts "Kap wants more money than Cutler and Romo"? If the initial report is even true, he wants the same as Romo and slightly less than Cutler. But, we'll just run with it as "more than". I'm thinking about shutting off the internet until the season starts with the media at this point.

I think that's exactly where his pay bracket should be... Romo, Cutler, Stafford, Ryan, Rivers. And he'll end up getting 17M or 18M in a back heavy deal with valuable team clauses in the contract. The number that ESPN will show will make it seem like a HUGE $$ deal, but when you look at it on a year-to-year basis, it's not that ridiculous. Especially by back-weighting the contract. If he outplays his contract, then great! If he doesn't, then you renegotiate.

Bottom line, Kaep's guaranteed $$ will probably be lower than all the guys up there.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I wouldn't give him a contract this offseason. I would wait and see how he plays this year. See if he got better. WHt if he is the same or what if he takes a step back? Let it play out.

Whatever kap wants as long as it doesn't hamstring the rest of the team. dont think he deserves that much yet but its not my cash so what the hell
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Yeah, he carried them with his QB rating in the 70s.

The Chiefs fell apart around the same time that their defense fell apart, that was the driving force of that team, the defense, when it couldn't come through, KC was done.

That defense didn't just fall apart, it imploded when Hali and Houston were injured. The offense was averaging about 35 points a game at that point with few to no turnovers... That was the offense's fault, right?

Nevermind that the QB was new and had no chemistry and was using the season to gain it.

Nevermind that the playbook was new to everyone and too the season to learn it.

in the 70s? Alex's regular season QBR was a few points behind Colin (89.1 to 91.6) with much less talent around him. What's more the 2nd half of the season Alex passed Colin by a long shot. The only thing better on the Chief's offense compared to the 9ers is the running back.

Go ahead, see what you want to see.
Kaepernick being his usual arrogant self, he has no leverage. No team in the league will pay him even 15 mill so I wouldn't expect the niners to even budge. He's surrounded by immense talent and a strong coaching staff. He doesn't raise the level of play of those around him, he's a good solo act on a great team. He's probably worth more as a marketing tool than a QB at this point.
Originally posted by ninerhippy:
Kaepernick being his usual arrogant self, he has no leverage. No team in the league will pay him even 15 mill so I wouldn't expect the niners to even budge. He's surrounded by immense talent and a strong coaching staff. He doesn't raise the level of play of those around him, he's a good solo act on a great team. He's probably worth more as a marketing tool than a QB at this point.

• thl408
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I know they all want so much money, but imagine how much talent could be had if QB's only took $10 million per year and other positions took more reasonable contracts. These guys want so much, but it often comes at the cost of the rest of the team. I mean, what the heck are you going to do with $10 million each year? I certainly couldn't spend that much money.

It's not about the athlete being able to spend that much money. It's about once that athlete is rich, he has people tugging on his sleeves asking for handouts, going from rags to riches as a stud in his early 20s (immature money management), and a bunch of little devils whispering in his ear on how he should 'invest' that money.

To us it's ridiculous, but it's reality. I don't blame an athlete one bit for getting as much as he can. I put more blame on the owners for paying them (QBs) that much and driving up the market price.

- By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.
SI Article (2009)
Share 49ersWebzone