LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Analysis from Seahawks Game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I showed the first 3rd and short that got stuffed, I'll show the other two and how the 9ers adjusted to Seattle on those downs to do what looks like the same play, but resulted in 1st downs.

yup and i see exactly why it didn't work but the whole play itself in real time was funky. they broke the huddle, hustled to the line and snapped the ball, that's not how we operate 99% of the time.
It's like football heaven in this thread. Damn I love this forum.

Special thanks to johnydel and thl408. Great stuff guys!
Originally posted by Furlow:
If that's what happened, then it needs to stop. I'm all for DB's trying to make a play, but even if Reid read run correctly he was still too far away to make an impact type play. There was no WR in that area so there was no route to jump. That would just be an absolutely horrible decision on his part.

the key is, if it was a horrible decision, he doesn't make the same mistake twice. i would rather him do it there and never again...

this just shows he's human instead of a demi-god
So, I have just finished reviewing the coaches film of the seahawks game. Some Very interesting Notes. I will follow with a few posts noting how some of the bigger plays in the game were made and how some big plays were missed. Overall, It was a physical game as we all know. The major positive is that there were more plays to be made and we still won the game.

First, after a review I'll post some of the low hanging fruit.
The seahawks stayed in a single high safety look for all but maybe 2 plays all game. They loaded the box with 8 guys on 90% of the plays. In that, they play cover 3 zone on probably 70% of their plays.

The biggest impact of Crabtree's return against the seahawks wasn't as much about how he made the defense play towards him but that whenever Kaep's first read(if not crabs) was not there he threw it towards Crabs to give him a chance.

The offensive line played a really good game. There are some definite pre-snap reads in the run game that Kaep needs to get better at, but, the Seahawks did do a good job of game planning their defensive line scheme.

When the defense plays sound, fundamental football, they are probably the best defense in the league. As I will show later, it's only when they get away from sound fundamentals that big plays are given up.

I will show in the next few posts some examples of plays
How did you get coaches film and do you work for a pro football team? do you think we take you seriously?
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's frustrating because if you look through that game, there were some pretty good calls and there were some questionable ones, it comes down to consistency and being able to utilize all the weapons that are available.

Crabtree, Boldin and VD, there is no defense in the NFL that can shut down all of 3 of those guys. You can shutdown one, you can shutdown two maybe, but not all 3. Seattle is supposedly the best defense in the NFL, the best secondary with the bonus ability of being allowed to hold illegally without consequence and Boldin still had a very good game against them. I think with Miller coming out of the backfield, what they truly need is one more guy to step up as a dependable receiving threat, whether that be Manningham, McDonald or Patton, they need one guy who can make some big receptions and further stretch defense's out. If they can do that, have more consistently in the playcalling, attack a defense's weaknesses, they'll be looking very good heading into the playoffs.

for whatever reason roman doesn't like to spread the wealth. its reflective in the snaps that the guys get

if you're only getting 10% of the snaps and 5% of those snaps are run plays?

if you're a hunter and you only get 10 snaps and virtually none of them call for you to leak out and make a play? its difficult.

some of the calls kill momentum. 3rd and 2, read option plays for 6 yard losses.. that's a predictable formation/down/call and the result showed it.

quick snapping on 3rd and 1 near the goal line...resulting in the o line totally whiffing on blocks and resulting in a loss and a field goal when you run the same play 2 times later...with the line set and it works easily both times.. makes me scratch my head
I showed the first 3rd and short that got stuffed, I'll show the other two and how the 9ers adjusted to Seattle on those downs to do what looks like the same play, but resulted in 1st downs.

Here's how on the next 3rd and short they got it

Kaep sees the big hole off right guard in the "0" gap. He motions McDonald across the formation which pulls both linbackers to the left side. Now, instead of 2 players in position to stop Miller, there's only 1. In the previous formation they showed an offset formation with the TE out to the right side. This drew a weakside slant from Seattle. By motioning McDonald across they balance the strength and Seattle can't slant a certain side.

You can see how the Backers have shifted, they will shift more as McDonald gets to his spot

they get combo blocks on both DT's and because they ran the FB dive and not a RB dive Chancellor stays outside the tackle for contain on Gore
If AB81Rules deals with numbers.... dude you're like the "AB81Rules" of the playbook. You have a bright future on the WZ if you continue this.. You could get mad ratings if you did this after every game
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
How did you get coaches film and do you work for a pro football team? do you think we take you seriously?

It's available for sale by the NFL.
Is it just me or are these pass plays remedial? The majority of routes are headed right into the 8 man box, when you'd think they would want to widen the field trying to find soft spots in the zone.

NFL game rewind from the nfl.com buddy for an exact webpage, nfl.com/gamerewind
It gives access to 2 coaches film angles. The All 22 which shows the backed out view to see the DB's and WR patterns and an endzone view for Lineman and LB's
Originally posted by 5280High:
Is it just me or are these pass plays remedial? The majority of routes are headed right into the 8 man box, when you'd think they would want to widen the field trying to find soft spots in the zone.

I'll show the times they tried to do other things. They ran a lot of play action passes, which you probably noticed on the broadcast. How Seattle makes the game difficult is they run a 6-2 front. They're DT's do a good job eating up blockers through all their slants in the line while their DE's press hard upfield because they don't have outside contain. This makes their pass rush better and their run defense more difficult to catch in a bad situation. Because they run 3 deep almost the whole game they can play 4 men on underneath coverage. That's why their DB"s molest receivers. Cause they cannot let anyone past them and they see a 5 yd defensive holding penalty as better than a 40 yd gain.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

It gives access to 2 coaches film angles. The All 22 which shows the backed out view to see the DB's and WR patterns and an endzone view for Lineman and LB's

And yes, of course he works for a pro football team.

Just curious jonnydel, have you worked in film for any teams. Your analysis is direct and to the point, others I've seen complicate things too much. You should get into cinematography, maybe you already are.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Just curious jonnydel, have you worked in film for any teams. Your analysis is direct and to the point, others I've seen complicate things too much. You should get into cinematography, maybe you already are.

haha, nope never done any of that. Would love to in my spare time though :)

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=1

Mad props Jonnydel, keep up the good work!
It's been said, but it needs to be said again brotha...YOU ROCK AND THIS THREAD ROCKS!!!
Share 49ersWebzone