There are 189 users in the forums

Analysis from Seahawks Game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So, I have just finished reviewing the coaches film of the seahawks game. Some Very interesting Notes. I will follow with a few posts noting how some of the bigger plays in the game were made and how some big plays were missed. Overall, It was a physical game as we all know. The major positive is that there were more plays to be made and we still won the game.

First, after a review I'll post some of the low hanging fruit.
The seahawks stayed in a single high safety look for all but maybe 2 plays all game. They loaded the box with 8 guys on 90% of the plays. In that, they play cover 3 zone on probably 70% of their plays.

The biggest impact of Crabtree's return against the seahawks wasn't as much about how he made the defense play towards him but that whenever Kaep's first read(if not crabs) was not there he threw it towards Crabs to give him a chance.

The offensive line played a really good game. There are some definite pre-snap reads in the run game that Kaep needs to get better at, but, the Seahawks did do a good job of game planning their defensive line scheme.

When the defense plays sound, fundamental football, they are probably the best defense in the league. As I will show later, it's only when they get away from sound fundamentals that big plays are given up.

I will show in the next few posts some examples of plays

Here the niners used play action to suck the linebackers up, the Seachickens were in man cover-1, meaning they were playing man coverage with a single high safety over the top. When Kap turns around he looks toward Crabtree who is running a shallow comeback with Boldin running a Hitch from the slot. Cam Chancellor is playing with outside leverage on Davis. When Kap turns around He see's the man coverage on Crabtree.

Kaep keeps looking Crabs way, looking for him to uncover, Thomas-the high safety, jumps on the inside of Boldin with #40 playing man on the outside of Boldin, essentially double teaming Anquan. Sherman had a flat foot cover on Crabs - meaning he didn't backpeddle much on Crabtree looking to jump the comback.
Kaep has room to step up in the pocket(highlighted with the O) the line did a great job. When he saw the man coverage read he should've automatically moved to Vernon knowing Vernon was running a Deep In(or DIG) route with the safety playing outside. You can see the seperation Vernon gets on Chancellor.

Finally, you see Kaep didn't step up into the pocket, instead, he scrambles out right and throws to Crabs(who did make a spectacular 4 yd catch) It was the play that looked like Crabs may have not gotten his 2nd foot in bounds but Seattle never challenged.) As you can see Vernon is wide open if Kaep moves through his progression and recognizes the outside leverage pre-snap. It was a 4 yd gain but could've been a 12-plus yd gain.

Kaepernick was later intercepted on this drive(which I will show next), He missed a couple plays like this in the game. Could've been a bigger win for us. But still a good win nonetheless and Kaep did play a pretty good game.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Dec 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
So, I have just finished reviewing the coaches film of the seahawks game. Some Very interesting Notes. I will follow with a few posts noting how some of the bigger plays in the game were made and how some big plays were missed. Overall, It was a physical game as we all know. The major positive is that there were more plays to be made and we still won the game.

The seahawks stayed in a single high safety look for all but maybe 2 plays all game. They loaded the box with 8 guys on 90% of the plays. In that, they play cover 3 zone on probably 70% of their plays.

The biggest impact of Crabtree's return against the seahawks wasn't as much about how he made the defense play towards him but that whenever Kaep's first read(if not crabs) was not there he threw it towards Crabs to give him a chance.

The offensive line played a really good game. There are some definite pre-snap reads in the run game that Kaep needs to get better at, but, the Seahawks did do a good job of game planning their defensive line scheme.

When the defense plays sound, fundamental football, they are probably the best defense in the league. As I will show later, it's only when they get away from sound fundamentals that big plays are given up.

very cool, detailed analysis. if you don't mind me asking, where do you get coaches film from?
"They loaded the box with 8 guys on 90% of the plays"

so does every other team in the league when the play the Niners
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
very cool, detailed analysis. if you don't mind me asking, where do you get coaches film from?

you can buy it from nfl.com game rewind.
Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

you can buy it from nfl.com game rewind.

thanks. would be interesting to watch i imagine.

Here the niners used play action to suck the linebackers up, the Seachickens were in man cover-1, meaning they were playing man coverage with a single high safety over the top. When Kap turns around he looks toward Crabtree who is running a shallow comeback with Boldin running a Hitch from the slot. Cam Chancellor is playing with outside leverage on Davis. When Kap turns around He see's the man coverage on Crabtree.

Kaep keeps looking Crabs way, looking for him to uncover, Thomas-the high safety, jumps on the inside of Boldin with #40 playing man on the outside of Boldin, essentially double teaming Anquan. Sherman had a flat foot cover on Crabs - meaning he didn't backpeddle much on Crabtree looking to jump the comback.
Kaep has room to step up in the pocket(highlighted with the O) the line did a great job. When he saw the man coverage read he should've automatically moved to Vernon knowing Vernon was running a Deep In(or DIG) route with the safety playing outside. You can see the seperation Vernon gets on Chancellor.

Finally, you see Kaep didn't step up into the pocket, instead, he scrambles out right and throws to Crabs(who did make a spectacular 4 yd catch) It was the play that looked like Crabs may have not gotten his 2nd foot in bounds but Seattle never challenged.) As you can see Vernon is wide open if Kaep moves through his progression and recognizes the outside leverage pre-snap. It was a 4 yd gain but could've been a 12-plus yd gain.

Kaepernick was later intercepted on this drive(which I will show next), He missed a couple plays like this in the game. Could've been a bigger win for us. But still a good win nonetheless and Kaep did play a pretty good game.

just bumping the post

We could really use your analysis over here (and well done)!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/168162-greg-roman-really-good/page120/
  • Riot
  • Veteran
This is great, man! Keep it going!

Nice breakdown...Kaep needs to learn to progress and not zoom in on one guy...his guy...give everyone a chance..this is not madden 25
  • thl408
Thanks for this thread. I hope you don't mind me posting this wall of pics. I feel it's pretty on topic

Personnel grouping is listed. Orange route was targeted but incomplete. Yellow route was for a completion. Scrambles and sacks are not shown. Plays called back due to penalty are shown (Boldin pass interference, Boone illegal hands to the face).

2nd HALF:

[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM ]
This post will show how Kaep threw the interception

On the broadcast you may remember Kaep audible at the line to this play.

On this play, he saw the defense in a similar alignment to the Vernon play above, thinking it was man coverage he audibled. However, Seattle went into a cover 3.
The corner Maxwell takes an over the top coverage, while Chancellor the safety, takes underneath coverage as there is no route to hold him in the flat. The safety Thomas is moving over towards Crabs for help and Maxwell, knowing he has help underneath, stays on top of Crabs and Kaep throws the pick to Maxwell. Granted the throw Kaep was trying to make is a VERY difficult throw, he shouldn't have thrown it in the first place. The moment he saw Chancellor drop out in coverage he should recognized the cover 3, known the play was dead and scrambled out right where there was NOBODY.
This post will show how Kaep threw the interception

On the broadcast you may remember Kaep audible at the line to this play.

On this play, he saw the defense in a similar alignment to the Vernon play above, thinking it was man coverage he audibled. However, Seattle went into a cover 3.
The corner Maxwell takes an over the top coverage, while Chancellor the safety, takes underneath coverage as there is no route to hold him in the flat. The safety Thomas is moving over towards Crabs for help and Maxwell, knowing he has help underneath, stays on top of Crabs and Kaep throws the pick to Maxwell. Granted the throw Kaep was trying to make is a VERY difficult throw, he shouldn't have thrown it in the first place. The moment he saw Chancellor drop out in coverage he should recognized the cover 3, known the play was dead and scrambled out right where there was NOBODY.

if Kaep puts a little bit more air under that ball thats a TD, it was just a bad throw
This post will show how Hunter can learn from Gore and needs to do a better job of reading his blocks. Maybe why his playing time has diminished.

Here, it's hard to see hunter so I have circled him with the 0, but, they run a zone read play.
Kaep correctly reads the D-end moving upfield on him and hands to Hunter. Hunter, if he reads the great blocks from Snyder and Staley has a gaping hole.
Instead of cutting left, he cuts right(it's his tendency)

You can see the result of the play. He gets swallowed up for a 2 yd gain. But, could've had the kind of hole Frank had for the 51 yarder being 1-1 with Thomas.
Share 49ersWebzone