LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Analysis from Seahawks Game coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Hey JonnyDel, are you a former coach or somthing? Your insight and knowledge are off the charts.

Never been a coach. Really want to though. I absolutely love and am obsessed with football. I played football and became a student of the game. I devour any football knowledge I can, and thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!

Nice. What was the highest level you played, if you don't mind me asking.

Senior year in high school actually. I went to a college that didn't have a football program, and I do pretty well at madden
[ Edited by jonnydel on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM ]
Great analysis jonnydel, thanks. I live outside the country and purchased NFL game pass at the beginning of the season for about $140. They wanted another $60 for the playoffs. I backed off, thinking as the season progresses it will go down in price. Last week they gave the playoffs, SB, and the service with replays, coaches film, condensed version and NFL Network until July 31, 2014 for $14.99. Of course I joined in. I have not checked but I'm sure the cost would be much greater in the US.
Here's one from the Rams game.
Roman said Kaep played his best game as a pro that day. I haven't made it through the whole game yet, but, this play really stuck out to me as a very mature, good play.

We're gonna run a flood route to the outside left with a backside DIG. The read on a flood route is a hi/lo read on the flat/hook defender. If the defender stays high you go low to Vernon, if he goes low, you throw high to Crab. However, As the play develops Kaep correctly diagnoses a tampa 2 coverage and hits Boldin for a 22 yard gain instead of a 6 yard gain. Vernon goes in motion back and forth revealing zone coverage cause the Mike backer just moves, there's no way they're in man with the safety on the line that far inside the slot receiver not following Vernon.

You can see the Rams settling into their zones, the Mike backer follows the guy deepest down the middle of the field(tampa 2) and the right side corner squats down into his zone leaving a big hole between the safety and the corner.

Here I highlight how good of a job Kaep does in keeping his head looking down the middle of the field. This way the defenders can't clue in to where he's throwing the ball

The DE starts to slip past Anthony Davis and Kaep feels the pressure and climbs the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.

Kaep climbs the pocket, sets his feet and delivers a strike to Boldin downfield

jonnydel - This is one of the best threads I've read on the webzone in some time. I absolutely love the breakdowns and analysis you are doing on these plays. Each week I look forward to reading Marvin49's "Thoughts after the game" and it sure would be nice to have another weekly "analysis of the coaching film". (HINT HINT)
Takes 30 games for a qb to become competent kap is on game 23 and its starting to really click....break through coming
Originally posted by 49Crabs:
jonnydel - This is one of the best threads I've read on the webzone in some time. I absolutely love the breakdowns and analysis you are doing on these plays. Each week I look forward to reading Marvin49's "Thoughts after the game" and it sure would be nice to have another weekly "analysis of the coaching film". (HINT HINT)

This
Good job with this thread
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Great analysis jonnydel, thanks. I live outside the country and purchased NFL game pass at the beginning of the season for about $140. They wanted another $60 for the playoffs. I backed off, thinking as the season progresses it will go down in price. Last week they gave the playoffs, SB, and the service with replays, coaches film, condensed version and NFL Network until July 31, 2014 for $14.99. Of course I joined in. I have not checked but I'm sure the cost would be much greater in the US.

NFL Game Pass is not available in the US.
I gotta give it to you man, you're pretty good, you know your shiznit. Hopefully we can have this thread from you every week. Great read, great job.
Here's another good play from Kaep, but, he probably could've gotten more.

Here there running a short out with Vernon, a hitch with Anquan a deep cross with McDonald and a streak with Crabs. The rams start out with a 2 high safety look and just before the snap walk the SS down

When the safety comes down he's dropping into man coverage on Vernon. The Rams are going for a cover 1 blitz. However, I'm pretty sure the 2 TE set confused on of the OLB's on who was the "strong" side. They probably called a "strong side" blitz cause nobody covers McDonald.

Here you see the blitz from the Rams, Kaep does do a good job of understanding that his protection cannot block 1 of the guys coming and watches the defender on that side, not, the receiver.

He sees the safety in a flat footed stance and the corner in a backpedal. Vernon ends up being open because of his speed, but, really the right read is to the hook against a backpedal as the flatfooted defender can make a jump on the ball. Unfortunately, Kaep never sees McDonald break WIDE open due to the defensive breakdown.
Know though, that seeing an all out blitz, he knows he has to get the ball out quick and doesn't have time to scan the field. So, I can't really blame him for that.

Kaep does show good anticipation though in that you can see in this shot he's planted his backfoot and starting to step into his throw. Meaning, he's decided to throw the ball before Boldin turns around. Something he failed to do in the super bowl with Randy Moss running the exact same route.

He gets it out to Boldin for a 9 yd gain. Would've been nice to hit McDonald though, only the free safety anywhere around.

I absolutely love this film, thanks for sharing!. Yes Kaep has to see Vernon on that first play--it could have been a TD it looks like if he read it right and made a good throw.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's frustrating because if you look through that game, there were some pretty good calls and there were some questionable ones, it comes down to consistency and being able to utilize all the weapons that are available.

Crabtree, Boldin and VD, there is no defense in the NFL that can shut down all of 3 of those guys. You can shutdown one, you can shutdown two maybe, but not all 3. Seattle is supposedly the best defense in the NFL, the best secondary with the bonus ability of being allowed to hold illegally without consequence and Boldin still had a very good game against them. I think with Miller coming out of the backfield, what they truly need is one more guy to step up as a dependable receiving threat, whether that be Manningham, McDonald or Patton, they need one guy who can make some big receptions and further stretch defense's out. If they can do that, have more consistently in the playcalling, attack a defense's weaknesses, they'll be looking very good heading into the playoffs.

for whatever reason roman doesn't like to spread the wealth. its reflective in the snaps that the guys get

if you're only getting 10% of the snaps and 5% of those snaps are run plays?

if you're a hunter and you only get 10 snaps and virtually none of them call for you to leak out and make a play? its difficult.

some of the calls kill momentum. 3rd and 2, read option plays for 6 yard losses.. that's a predictable formation/down/call and the result showed it.

quick snapping on 3rd and 1 near the goal line...resulting in the o line totally whiffing on blocks and resulting in a loss and a field goal when you run the same play 2 times later...with the line set and it works easily both times.. makes me scratch my head
I showed the first 3rd and short that got stuffed, I'll show the other two and how the 9ers adjusted to Seattle on those downs to do what looks like the same play, but resulted in 1st downs.
Best thread ever.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Takes 30 games for a qb to become competent kap is on game 23 and its starting to really click....break through coming

I agree, I think the breakthrough is evident now. Several points, he is not careless when he runs the ball and does not subject himself to big hits.That is quite an accomplishment for a QB who is a superior runner. I see many QB's putting the ball up and risking interceptions, Kaep is careful and keeps his team in the game. Lastly, the back shoulder throws, he's tuned into Boldin and I was surprised to see Crabtree and Kaep on the same page with this pass as soon as Crabs came back. Buckle up 49er fans I think we're in for one heck of a ride.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Re-watching the play, and the gif, it seems like the design of the defense was for Reid and Rogers to swap responsibilities. Rogers bails immediately to a Cover 2 position, and Reid jumps the flat. If the RB our TE had run to the flat, Reid would have an INT opportunity. It seems like the Seapigeons just got lucky and called the perfect route for that gamble.

I could be wrong, and Reid could have jumped the play action. But if he's jumping play action AT ALL while having deep Cover 2 responsibility, then he needs to be benched. Even kids on my pop warner team don't make that mistake...

Love the analysis though, this is fun. Would be great to sit in on a film session after a game with the coaches and players to really know how much the game is a chess match.

How I knew it was soft cover 2 was because Brock drops into a soft curl zone on the other side and Rogers starts to do the same. Reid starts flying down when Wilson turns to fake the handoff, he doesn't head anywhere close to a soft zone area, where he ends up when he realized he just got tricked is where Bowman ends up for his drop into zone.

There isn't a WR in the flat or going towards the flat, so no need for Reid to jump all the way to the soft zone. I like to call that "covering grass" which is a definite no-no in zone coverage. It just seems unbelievable that an NFL safety (and one who is playing very well) could make THAT bad of a mistake. Again, biting on play action when you have deep Cover 2 responsibility is so blatantly bad that it's inexcusable, even for a rookie.

Plus Rogers completely bails to a deep 2 responsibility, he doesn't settle in a soft zone like Brock does. Of course, he may have just seen Reid completely leave him hanging, so maybe he just kept his depth.

Either way it was a bad play, but I'm hoping that Reid isn't that much of an idiot. I agree with you that we need to be able to play zone coverage in order to effectively stop good running teams, and that means all of the DB's have to stay disciplined and stay in their zone until the ball is thrown or the RB has the ball.
on the gif it looks like Rogers bails into 2 deep responsibility but on the coaches film you can see he hesitates very briefly while turning his hips in showing he's sitting down into his zone and about to look for a receiver since he was on the single receiver side. when he turns his hips he sees that Reid has shot down.

Reid is an aggressive safety and seattle hadn't taken a shot like that yet in the game. With aggressive, young safeties, they will have lapses like this every once in a while. Shoot, Polamalu still does some things like this every once in a while.

If that's what happened, then it needs to stop. I'm all for DB's trying to make a play, but even if Reid read run correctly he was still too far away to make an impact type play. There was no WR in that area so there was no route to jump. That would just be an absolutely horrible decision on his part.
Share 49ersWebzone