There are 186 users in the forums

2013 - Week 14: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry for the lateness of this, but as I said last night we lost a member of our family Monday morning. More on that later.

1) Kap: I think it's important to keep in mind who they were playing. That's the best secondary in the NFL they were up against. I HATE those guys, and one in particular (more on that later), but they are damned good. Kap tried to make a few of those back shoulder throws that he's becoming adept at throwing in the past few weeks and they were very well defended...and maybe even illegally defended.

The INT...it;s really easy to put that one on Kap and he did so himself, but there is a part of me that wonders if the design of the play was supposed to be that Crab go up over the defender to get the ball. Kap threw one just like it last week to Boldin. What further makes me wonder that is the reaction of Crab himself right after the play and in his tweets after the game. He blames HIMSELF on that one...not Kap.

Anyway...not a great game but by far the best game Kap has played vs Seattle.

2) Gore: Wow. It wasn't the running that has me wowed. It's the SMARTS to get down in bounds. Those small decisions are huge and are all the difference between winning and losing.

3) Sherman: You can always count on good ol' Dick Sherman to say something stupid and act like he knows something nobody else knows. So damn arrogant. So damn false. "This is a glorified practice". "They got the calls". "We expected a blowout". It amazes me constantly how Seattle fans go on and on and on and on about how big a "douche" Kap is and how Harbaugh is the antichrist and then turn a totally blind eye to the biggest a$$hat in the NFL who resides in their own secondary. The guy is good. Check that...the guy is GREAT. For a fanbase that states the 49ers have no "class", its 100% hypocrisy claim that and then support Dick Sherman.

4) Crab: Clearly not all the way back, but making strides. A bit better every week. Still sometimes seems to be playing out of control, but I think that's more rust than anything else. He seems to have much more strength and confidence in that leg than I'd anticipated he'd have at this point.

5) Boldin: Godsend. Still slow as molasses, but just so damn tough and smart. Crab coming back is preventing teams from doubling him and we are going to see more and more of him running open than we did earlier in the year.

6) Bowman: This just in - He's good. The speed that he closed on Wilson with shocked even Wilson. It doesn't look like he's moving that fast but he's flyin'.

7) Dawson: GREAT signing. Remember that feeling of dread last year whenever Akers would trot on the field? Gone.

8) CB: I think it's fair to say that Rogers is playing in his last few games in SF. We'll have to see on Brown. Brock has continued to look really, really good though. Wright is just getting himself back into playing again so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Culliver should also be back next year and I'd expect to see the 49ers draft a CB or 2 to compete.

9) Playoffs: It looks like the 5 seed might be a possibility. Dead heat with Carolina, tho they own the tie-breaker. They still have to play NO again tho. That would change things a bit. Niners look like they'd go to Detroit in round 1 and then go to NO in round 2. Those are both winnable games. The Panthers would have to go into Philly and if they won go to Seattle. That would give the Panthers a shot to knock off Seattle in Seattle. If the 'hawks win, that sets up a 49ers-Seahawks NFC Championship game in Seattle. That could be fantastic. Its a rough game, but it'll be worth the shot to knock them off in their house.

10) Grace: This one is purely selfish and has nothing to do with football. Many of you have already offered your condolences when I mentioned that we were forced to put our Siberian Husky Grace to sleep Monday morning. For that, I thank all of you.

RIP Grace Aspen Steele
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]
Sorry for your loss Marvin
RIP cute doggie

I kinda chuckle when i think back to some of the posts early in the season when Dawson missed a couple kicks.
Thanks for the recap. Sorry about what happened. Sucks but you have the memories
That's a beautiful Husky, wow. Just gorgeous. I had one that passed a couple years ago, he was an awesome dog but ended up with multiple cancer's that they simply couldn't treat. My favorite dogs of all, incredibly friendly, caring, very sweet natured and highly entertaining.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That's a beautiful Husky, wow. Just gorgeous. I had one that passed a couple years ago, he was an awesome dog but ended up with multiple cancer's that they simply couldn't treat. My favorite dogs of all, incredibly friendly, caring, very sweet natured and highly entertaining.

Yeah, we are addicted to the breed. She was our second and I'm sure there will eventually be a third.
Beautiful dog Marvin, my condolences on your loss. Never had a dog, but I have had cats, and it never feels good to lose one of your "kids". We've all missed your posts, even those of us who've been reading them for a long time, but don't always feel the desire to post whenever we visit.
Great recap, per the norm. Regarding the Kap pick, I don't think the play was designed to be a jump ball from that distance. Calvin Johnson may get some calls like that, but for most other WRs in the NFL it is very low %. We had single coverage and if Kap throws it over the defender its probably a TD. Maybe Kap throws it to whatever location has an opening?

I think Kap just really underthrew the ball. Crabs was mad because he didn't act like a defender and break it up or make a play on it. But, I don't think there is much he could have done. Definitely on Kap. Overall, he played pretty good against the best secondary in the NFL.
Sorry about your loss bro!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Sorry for the lateness of this, but as I said last night we lost a member of our family Monday morning. More on that later.

1) Kap: I think it's important to keep in mind who they were playing. That's the best secondary in the NFL they were up against. I HATE those guys, and one in particular (more on that later), but they are damned good. Kap tried to make a few of those back shoulder throws that he's becoming adept at throwing in the past few weeks and they were very well defended...and maybe even illegally defended.

The INT...it;s really easy to put that one on Kap and he did so himself, but there is a part of me that wonders if the design of the play was supposed to be that Crab go up over the defender to get the ball. Kap threw one just like it last week to Boldin. What further makes me wonder that is the reaction of Crab himself right after the play and in his tweets after the game. He blames HIMSELF on that one...not Kap.

Anyway...not a great game but by far the best game Kap has played vs Seattle.

2) Gore: Wow. It wasn't the running that has me wowed. It's the SMARTS to get down in bounds. Those small decisions are huge and are all the difference between winning and losing.

3) Sherman: You can always count on good ol' Dick Sherman to say something stupid and act like he knows something nobody else knows. So damn arrogant. So damn false. "This is a glorified practice". "They got the calls". "We expected a blowout". It amazes me constantly how Seattle fans go on and on and on and on about how big a "douche" Kap is and how Harbaugh is the antichrist and then turn a totally blind eye to the biggest a$$hat in the NFL who resides in their own secondary. The guy is good. Check that...the guy is GREAT. For a fanbase that states the 49ers have no "class", its 100% hypocrisy claim that and then support Dick Sherman.

4) Crab: Clearly not all the way back, but making strides. A bit better every week. Still sometimes seems to be playing out of control, but I think that's more rust than anything else. He seems to have much more strength and confidence in that leg than I'd anticipated he'd have at this point.

5) Boldin: Godsend. Still slow as molasses, but just so damn tough and smart. Crab coming back is preventing teams from doubling him and we are going to see more and more of him running open than we did earlier in the year.

6) Bowman: This just in - He's good. The speed that he closed on Wilson with shocked even Wilson. It doesn't look like he's moving that fast but he's flyin'.

7) Dawson: GREAT signing. Remember that feeling of dread last year whenever Akers would trot on the field? Gone.

8) CB: I think it's fair to say that Rogers is playing in his last few games in SF. We'll have to see on Brown. Brock has continued to look really, really good though. Wright is just getting himself back into playing again so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Culliver should also be back next year and I'd expect to see the 49ers draft a CB or 2 to compete.

9) Playoffs: It looks like the 5 seed might be a possibility. Dead heat with Carolina, tho they own the tie-breaker. They still have to play NO again tho. That would change things a bit. Niners look like they'd go to Detroit in round 1 and then go to NO in round 2. Those are both winnable games. The Panthers would have to go into Philly and if they won go to Seattle. That would give the Panthers a shot to knock off Seattle in Seattle. If the 'hawks win, that sets up a 49ers-Seahawks NFC Championship game in Seattle. That could be fantastic. Its a rough game, but it'll be worth the shot to knock them off in their house.

10) Grace: This one is purely selfish and has nothing to do with football. Many of you have already offered your condolences when I mentioned that we were forced to put our Siberian Husky Grace to sleep Monday morning. For that, I thank all of you.

RIP Grace Aspen Steele

How did the dog die?

Great writeup as usual Marv....condolences again for Grace.

Another note on Dawson.....he just broke the 49er record for most consecutive field goals with 20. Not entirely surprising, but interesting that the three other guys were Nedney, Cofer (!), and I forget the third guy....and Akers in 2011 with his million field goals wasn't on there.

The Bowman play to me was the best defensive play to start a game since Brock's pick 6 of Schaub or maybe Aldon tripping Rodgers in week 1, and possibly even further than that. It only pisses me off that I was unable to watch it in a Niners bar or at home, so no sound which sucked. I'm sure that was a great one at the stick.

Agree about Sherman. The guy singlehandedly makes most of the league look like saints. The fact that those punks in the Pacific Northwest have so much hatred for two guys who DON'T TALK much is ridiculous. The blind homerism to defend Sherman is nauseating. Defend if you want, it's all good....many a***oles in NFL history have been defended by their own (e.g. Lawrence Taylor, Ndamakong Suh, Brian Dawkins, Bill Romanowski, etc) but don't go attacking others. At worst I find him annoying, but it seems like my dislike for him is way less intense than the average "12" (ghey) has for Kaepernick.

Crab - we'll have three more "relatively" easy games for him to get tuned up for the playoffs. Just gotta keep him outta Goldson's way next week and all will be well.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM ]
  • thl408
Condolences, Marvin.

8) CBs: Eric Wright had an 'easy' INT and dropped it in the first quarter. Brock made a huge pass breakup in the 4thQ to stop a drive. With Rogers, is he instructed to give that large a cushion? I think I have an idea as to why the 49ers CBs give such a cushion, but sometimes it's ridiculous how large the cushion is. It's so large that the QB can just audible to a quick comeback pattern for an easy pitch and catch 8 yards.

I have no idea how Wright was back in the game in the 4th and on the final defensive play. He was on the ground for awhile after getting kneed in the noggin and it's a bit reckless of the trainers(?) to have him back in the game.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Sorry about your loss bro!

Sorry about your dog, Marvin...you give so much to us on the WZ---you deserve lots of good karma
What a beautiful dog. We have been dealing with some health issues with one of our pets too so I can relate to what you have been going through and It sucks. So sorry.
Great post! I look forward to reading your posts ever since I joined the forum.

I completely agree in regards to everything. Gotta love the "Dick Sherman" comments as well. Everything you said is so true. He reminds me of a douche-ier version of Deion Sanders. Not sure how Seattle fans think he's the second coming of the second coming of Christ (the second coming being Wilson).

Anyone else bothered how basically every single media article out there discredits the 49ers win? This has been irritating me as of late. It was a close game, but I still think the niners have been snubbed and haven't been getting the credit they deserve.

Seattle is a a great team but it seems like most media outlets are crowning them NFC Champs and have been since the offseason. I personally hate how the media latches onto a team and just milks them dry. For example, look at the ESPN NBA page. They have a page on the homepage that is specifically dedicated to the Miami Heat. To me, it's pathetic. I feel like every time I took at ESPN, the homepage is surrounded by Seahawk articles. Most of the ESPN writers are ignorant too.

Anyway...rant over...
Share 49ersWebzone