There are 251 users in the forums

Do the 49ers have to run the table to get homefield advantage and win the NFC West?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do the 49ers have to run the table to get homefield advantage and win the NFC West?

As long as we play our rinky-dink college offense, and fangio calls bland man up-2 deep defenses, we will never beat the Hawks...

Carroll knows exactly how to play us. He has outcoached our team the last 3 times we have played them. He knows exactly what we're trying to do and how to stop us...

It doesn't matter about winning out, or not winning out, or whatever--- this is like the cowboys of the early 90s… we have one team to beat. If we cant beat that team, then what does it matter?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
So if we both lost to colts and to each other who wins the tie breaker?

I don't know? That's a good question? Suppose we beat Seattle at home and each win out for 14 - 2. What then?

Division record. If the same, by points scored.

GB and the Vikings had the same happen a long while ago, the last 10 years or so (Brett Farve era). I recall both teams had a shoot-out against their opponent on the very last week of the season.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by crabman82:
do you see seattle losing again (aside from our re-mtach)? if the answer is no, then yes we need to run the table

That is true. But, I actually look at it from the other way around. I believe there is a chance we can win out (that is aside from the Seahawks at home). In other words, there may be a very slim chance we can catch back up to them and the decider might well lie on a head-to-head. But, I am just not confident we can beat them even at home.

We played them the 2nd week of the season. Most teams are still trying to get into a rhythm. Not making any excuses because the Hawks are good, but at home. They barely beat Carolina and was getting manhandled against Houston for most of that game. Tennessee could have beaten them at home. When we played them in the 2nd week, it was a game until end of the 3rd quarter and our defense just couldn't hold them off anymore. Reinforcements will be back for our next meeting and I'm just hoping Manningham and Crabs are back to form because with them at full strength its a different game I believe at the stick. As far as them having Harvin, our Kryptonite for him could very well be Wright.

I think Mario should be back to form by the time we play, but I doubt Crab will. Crab won't be back until late Nov, he will probably need more time. True they could have got beaten by the Texans, but by the same token they didn't get hammered by the Colts neither. Oh well, I just hope you are right for our sake.

yeah i have my doubts about Crabtree even coming back to form this season. I mean I think he'll be active but won't make the same impact he did last year. As for the Colts game, our game plan is what lost us that game. Had we stuck to our running game, we would have won I think and we'd be tied with Seattle right now for 1st in the division. All niner fans are giong to have to be Saints fans when they play Seattle.
[ Edited by Baldie on Oct 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
So if we both lost to colts and to each other who wins the tie breaker?

I don't know? That's a good question? Suppose we beat Seattle at home and each win out for 14 - 2. What then?

Division record. If the same, by points scored.

GB and the Vikings had the same happen a long while ago, the last 10 years or so (Brett Farve era). I recall both teams had a shoot-out against their opponent on the very last week of the season.

our division record could very well end up a tie as well. Then it comes down to strength of schedule I think.
[ Edited by Baldie on Oct 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
As long as we play our rinky-dink college offense, and fangio calls bland man up-2 deep defenses, we will never beat the Hawks...

Carroll knows exactly how to play us. He has outcoached our team the last 3 times we have played them. He knows exactly what we're trying to do and how to stop us...

It doesn't matter about winning out, or not winning out, or whatever--- this is like the cowboys of the early 90s… we have one team to beat. If we cant beat that team, then what does it matter?

Without a super bowl, no nfc championship matchups and only two win against us in the last two years its a little early to crown them the cowboys of the 90's, and i dont know about you but we havent used the college offense much in the past 4 weeks.
the NFC West crown depends on New Orleans imo
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by English:
There seems to be a perception that we can't beat Seattle away. Just to mention, I recall a certain finesse team who had to go to Soldier Field in the depths of winter.

B E A R W E A T H E R.

But we nailed them. With our injured players back and a bit of time to prepare we will put the Seahawks back where they belong.
As much as everybody pumps up the current team. I don't think anyone in the NFL today has a threesome that compares to Montana, Rice and Taylor.

Um, Bobs. You forgot one of our best wide receivers. Who also could run a bit.

Roger!!!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
That is true. But, I actually look at it from the other way around. I believe there is a chance we can win out (that is aside from the Seahawks at home). In other words, there may be a very slim chance we can catch back up to them and the decider might well lie on a head-to-head. But, I am just not confident we can beat them even at home.

IMO, that is wise. There is no reason to be confident the NIners can beat the Seahawks. Can the NIners beat the Seahawks? Absolutely. But let's not kid ourselves. They've never been stronger than they are this season.

The way I see is it is I believe our D will be fine although they could do better to stop the run against Marshawn Lynch. The challenge lies in our offense, I believe Kap gets intimidated whenever he plays them. In some ways is almost inevitable when their pass rush is so stout while their secondary shuts down most of our receiver options. That is why I have been pushing for the Gordon trade. If we can't get our offense going against them, our D will eventually wane as they run out of gas when they can't get off the field. By hook or by crook, we will have to get our passing game going, may be try out different schemes to even run 4 WR sets. Otherwise, if they believe they can shut down our pass game, they will just stuff the box and shut Frank down as well.
I dont see Seattle losing more than 3 games. So yes.. I do think the Niners will need to run the table to have a better record than the Seahawks. Obviously the Niners have to beat them at home.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

Without a super bowl, no nfc championship matchups and only two win against us in the last two years its a little early to crown them the cowboys of the 90's, and i dont know about you but we havent used the college offense much in the past 4 weeks.

I think its more Carroll doesn't limit Wilson and allows him to run when he needs/wants to. With Harbaugh I don't want him to run unless its a designed play. He ran more against the Titans then he did any previous game. I think Kaep has the freedom to change plays at the line but Wilson is given the freedom to leave the pocket when needed and improvise. Thats how they get all those big plays downfield. Thats pretty much how they came back and beat Houston.

it's going to be tough. The Saints game will really tell where we are at. Then a trip up to DC could be sneaky. But i think we do need to win out. Seattle is in the drivers seat. damn their Defense looks so good you overlook their weak o-line
The way I see is it is I believe our D will be fine although they could do better to stop the run against Marshawn Lynch. The challenge lies in our offense, I believe Kap gets intimidated whenever he plays them. In some ways is almost inevitable when their pass rush is so stout while their secondary shuts down most of our receiver options. That is why I have been pushing for the Gordon trade. If we can't get our offense going against them, our D will eventually wane as they run out of gas when they can't get off the field. By hook or by crook, we will have to get our passing game going, may be try out different schemes to even run 4 WR sets. Otherwise, if they believe they can shut down our pass game, they will just stuff the box and shut Frank down as well.

Well, let's keep in mind that he's only played them twice and both times were up there in Seattle. We'll see how he plays at the Stick in December hopefully with a full cast of receivers.
Before the last few weeks, I would have said, Kap can't handle it. Now I think it is more that roman, or maybe Coach H can't handle it in SEA. I do know that if it is raining, in the slop and wind, and we get the ball on our 15 yd line, and try three 20+ yd passes, NO we will not win. If , IF roman gets his head out as he has the last few games against weak teams, then we could win. My thots initially were that Kap just wasn't ready yet. Now i think it is playcalling and that is on the coaches.

One thing for sure. Kap didn't do well with hand signals, and if we have to go back there, we are dead meat. Best chance is to beat 'em here....plus gotta do the same in N.O. and Kap not picking up on hand signal football is a bad omen. It's loud in N. O. also.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Oct 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Even if we do qualify as a wildcard, we should be at full strength and will dominate all the way to a Superbowl championship.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Before the last few weeks, I would have said, Kap can't handle it. Now I think it is more that roman, or maybe Coach H can't handle it in SEA. I do know that if it is raining, in the slop and wind, and we get the ball on our 15 yd line, and try three 20+ yd passes, NO we will not win. If , IF roman gets his head out as he has the last few games against weak teams, then we could win. My thots initially were that Kap just wasn't ready yet. Now i think it is playcalling and that is on the coaches.

One thing for sure. Kap didn't do well with hand signals, and if we have to go back there, we are dead meat. Best chance is to beat 'em here....plus gotta do the same in N.O. and Kap not picking up on hand signal football is a bad omen. It's loud in N. O. also.

We already beat NO in NO. Yes that was without Payton last year but they clearly got up for us and we still beat them. We are their nemesis as SEA is ours. We will win in NO and NO can indeed beat SEA but I would not count on it. NO just can't stop our run and they cant run on us. This makes them one dimensional and then we feast on them thereafter. They match up better with SEA because Brees will spread them out and put their DBs in uncomfortable situations to where e can outsmart them with methodical drives all the way down the field. And in a shootout I don't trust SEA to keep pace but I still think that NO is up sh** creek trying to go into SEA and win. I really don't care too much because if we keep playing our brand of football we will be hard to beat anywhere. We need to focus on us and getting better each week
Share 49ersWebzone