LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

are we underutilizing our players? the state of the franchise...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
They're saving it for the playoffs.

you can not be that arrogant and assume we will be in the playoffs,, you have to utilize all of your playmakers now in order to make sure you are in the playoffs
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Actually, Bruce HAS been one of our most dangerous receivers. Definitely more effective in the pass game than Moore or Williams have been. He has been very reliable and MOST of his receptions result in a first down.

I get what you guys are saying about Sproles, but James is soooo not Sproles. I really get what you're going for but it's not the same. It would not work out the same way.

I have no idea where fans got it in there heads that LMJ is a Sproles type rb.

Sproles is short and quick. James is short and quick. Naturally people assume they should have the same success, but Sproles is not successful just because he's short and quick. There's much much more to it than that. There are many players in the NFL who fit the speed and body type of Sproles who are fortunate just to be on anybody's roster. Sproles is a rare find. People forget that Sproles was once an EVERY DOWN back. He was San Diego's feature back until a guy named LaDainian Tomlinson came around and ran him out of town. James is not that back - plain and simple.
Huh? Tomlinson was San Diego's feature back and was there way before Sproles. Sproles has never been an every down back.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i was hoping roman would be fired after the game which did not happen. i then was hoping he would be fired after the walking dead was over which did not happen. I then was hoping i would wake up this morning and he would be fired which did not happen. life is a b***h and then you die despite the best "efforts" of roman, i believe our state of the franchise is solid, we won three in a row which we could not do last year, you hope more hurt guys will be back and just continue to get better. the start of the game settling for field goals upset me greatly but we closed out the game like good teams do and never let the cards get over the hump.
Originally posted by cciowa:

you can not be that arrogant and assume we will be in the playoffs,, you have to utilize all of your playmakers now in order to make sure you are in the playoffs

lol someone's sarcasm meter is off.

I was joking -- see the sunglasses? -->
i was hoping roman would be fired after the game which did not happen. i then was hoping he would be fired after the walking dead was over which did not happen. I then was hoping i would wake up this morning and he would be fired which did not happen. life is a b***h and then you die despite the best "efforts" of roman, i believe our state of the franchise is solid, we won three in a row which we could not do last year, you hope more hurt guys will be back and just continue to get better. the start of the game settling for field goals upset me greatly but we closed out the game like good teams do and never let the cards get over the hump.

Roman has the ability to call a fantastic and brilliant game, which he has done before. He also has the ability to make you scratch your head and ask yourself what in the blue f**k kind of play call was that??!
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Actually, Bruce HAS been one of our most dangerous receivers. Definitely more effective in the pass game than Moore or Williams have been. He has been very reliable and MOST of his receptions result in a first down.

I get what you guys are saying about Sproles, but James is soooo not Sproles. I really get what you're going for but it's not the same. It would not work out the same way.

I have no idea where fans got it in there heads that LMJ is a Sproles type rb.

Sproles is short and quick. James is short and quick. Naturally people assume they should have the same success, but Sproles is not successful just because he's short and quick. There's much much more to it than that. There are many players in the NFL who fit the speed and body type of Sproles who are fortunate just to be on anybody's roster. Sproles is a rare find. People forget that Sproles was once an EVERY DOWN back. He was San Diego's feature back until a guy named LaDainian Tomlinson came around and ran him out of town. James is not that back - plain and simple.
Huh? Tomlinson was San Diego's feature back and was there way before Sproles. Sproles has never been an every down back.

You're absolutely correct. It was actually a few games in which LT was hurt and Sproles filled in as the starter but the fact remains that, anytime he was the starter, he played like the starter.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

lol someone's sarcasm meter is off.

I was joking -- see the sunglasses? -->
sorry,, i did not know what the sunglasses are supposed to mean! it takes me a while to catchup, sorry
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Roman has the ability to call a fantastic and brilliant game, which he has done before. He also has the ability to make you scratch your head and ask yourself what in the blue f**k kind of play call was that??!

he calls one good game or calls a nice 18 play drive and everyone wants to drink his bathwater.. that s**t does not make up for all of the times he f**ks up,, fake toss pitch to ginn vs rams, total f**kup in the colts game etc etc.
lol @ dude who wants to fire Roman........ easy now....

I think you're a bit hard on Roman. He's a PURE matchup play caller, which sometimes works to his disadvantage. His way is to call the perfect play to exploit the perfect vs maximizing the exploiters greatest strengths. When that works, it's genius. When it doesn't, well we know how that looks.

His run plays are pure genius. It amazes me how people around here see "oh great...another stupid run up the middle". Those people don't understand blocking schemes and don't see the genius in the schemes that Roman designs. The failed runs up the middle is either the result of a GREAT defensive play by the defensive interior or a total missed blocking assignment.

I mean seriously, almost every Frank Gore 10+ yard play comes from a wham block. How many different ways can you run ONE BLOCKING scheme? Apparently Roman has 1000 different ways. If you don't see the genius in that, then I just can't agree. Our run plays are seriously works of art. Watch them closely during a game one sunday. You'll see it.

The thing that frustrates me is always trying to call the perfect play. I think that's when we get into trouble. Sometimes you need to just call a damn play that works and forget about the perfect chess move. Sometimes you have to have a little bit of Singletary in you and force your will upon the opponent.

But yea, that's our offensive philosophy in a nutshell. Get the best matchup you can possibly get in relation to the down/distance/situation. The big pass to Vernon Davis with Kilgor playing WR is a PERFECT example. Kilgor's ONLY purpose was to confuse and freeze the coverage on that side of the field which left Vernon running the perfect route agains the perfect defender. It worked out perfectly. That's what Romans calls are all about. To put the defense in a situation in which it simply cannot win. Period. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a 10 lb water balloon.
[ Edited by trellblaze on Oct 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fourplay:
lol @ dude who wants to fire Roman........ easy now....
yes i do, i did after the super bowl and i feel the same way today, 4-2 record be damned
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I think you're a bit hard on Roman. He's a PURE matchup play caller, which sometimes works to his disadvantage. His way is to call the perfect play to exploit the perfect vs maximizing the exploiters greatest strengths. When that works, it's genius. When it doesn't, well we know how that looks.

His run plays are pure genius. It amazes me how people around here see "oh great...another stupid run up the middle". Those people don't understand blocking schemes and don't see the genius in the schemes that Roman designs. The failed runs up the middle is either the result of a GREAT defensive play by the defensive interior or a total missed blocking assignment.

I mean seriously, almost every Frank Gore 10+ yard play comes from a wham block. How many different ways can you run ONE BLOCKING scheme? Apparently Roman has 1000 different ways. If you don't see the genius in that, then I just can't agree. Our run plays are seriously works of art. Watch them closely during a game one sunday. You'll see it.

The thing that frustrates me is always trying to call the perfect play. I think that's when we get into trouble. Sometimes you need to just call a damn play that works and forget about the perfect chess move. Sometimes you have to have a little bit of Singletary in you and force your will upon the opponent.

But yea, that's our offensive philosophy in a nutshell. Get the best matchup you can possibly get in relation to the down/distance/situation. The big pass to Vernon Davis with Kilgor playing WR is a PERFECT example. Kilgor's ONLY purpose was to confuse and freeze the coverage on that side of the field which left Vernon running the perfect route agains the perfect defender. It worked out perfectly. That's what Romans calls are all about. To put the defense in a situation in which it simply cannot win. Period. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a 10 lb water balloon.
thank you , good food for thought. i hate it when he calls something that works and then once it works, he runs away from it and tries some cute annexation of f**king puerto rico play to show people that he is smarter than the game. that is why i fell off my chair when he actually, mostly, called the same winning plays 18 times in a row yesterday. thats as close to a compliment for him as you will get from me
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
That's absolutely ridiculous, unless of course you truly believe Anthony Dixon can do more with a screen pass than LMJ.

different roles.... you certainly can't disguise a screen with James in there cause there is nothing else you can do with him but try and get him into space... LMJ is a nickel a dozen player.... I don't even want him returning kicks....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fourplay:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
That's absolutely ridiculous, unless of course you truly believe Anthony Dixon can do more with a screen pass than LMJ.

different roles.... you certainly can't disguise a screen with James in there cause there is nothing else you can do with him but try and get him into space... LMJ is a nickel a dozen player.... I don't even want him returning kicks....
i wan him returning kickoffs, we know he can do that, he did last year and i think he can give us a shot in the arm there. not punts but kicks
Roman is holding back the offense for whatever reason. even during the telecast yesterday they said roman admitted it was his bad for not getting macdonald into the action more.

and he still insists on starting kyle williams who can't get open. he should be starting baldwin so they can build chemistry... it just isn't there with williams he doesn't trust him to throw it to him unless he's all the way wide open..because frankly there's no reason for him to.
Share 49ersWebzone