LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Reinforcements are coming for the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Yeah but the reports were not simply that Gordon should play in SF, but rather that the Niners and Browns had talked about a trade, and that the Browns were asking for a second rounder. I also thought it was unlikely to happen, but it was an interesting topic of discussion for a brief period. But now the Browns are clearly saying they have no plans to trade Gordon.

Probably because they can't get what they wanted for him.
ok. so maybe they "discussed" a trade but you all know the niners put a value on the player and that is it. they obviously did not value this guy as second round pick worthy(as they should not have) and that is that from our standpoint. we do not over value or over pay anyone, and we do not allow players to hold guns to our heads who want more money before they play with us

It would be foolish to do so. They inquired, thought the asking price was too much, and that was likely the end of it.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
1. I stand by my comments last night i will never give a second for gordon. the front office must agree because if they did not, the deal would have been done
2. while ray can play and yes the two kids will be soon able to play, i think a need for a extra defensive lineman , someone other than high priced seymour, outweighs the want for a wide out..
3. I laugh at those who keep saying, the window is closing. hell you all said that after the first year under JH. if we draft well, make clever use of free agency, make sure we have a solid back to replace frank in another year or two when he retires, and sign our cornerstones in aldon and ck there is no reason to think we can not be a consistent team in the hunt every year. hell the pats have been for ten years or so,,, why do you find it so hard to think we can not be the nfc version of the pats for the next ten years. many set there and shrill the window is closing but offer no concrete proof of your claims
yea buts the pats have been in the afc east and lets be honest, there has been no real threat to dethrone them by the jets/Bills/dolphins until now. Its easy to always be in the hunt when the division stinks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
1. I stand by my comments last night i will never give a second for gordon. the front office must agree because if they did not, the deal would have been done
2. while ray can play and yes the two kids will be soon able to play, i think a need for a extra defensive lineman , someone other than high priced seymour, outweighs the want for a wide out..
3. I laugh at those who keep saying, the window is closing. hell you all said that after the first year under JH. if we draft well, make clever use of free agency, make sure we have a solid back to replace frank in another year or two when he retires, and sign our cornerstones in aldon and ck there is no reason to think we can not be a consistent team in the hunt every year. hell the pats have been for ten years or so,,, why do you find it so hard to think we can not be the nfc version of the pats for the next ten years. many set there and shrill the window is closing but offer no concrete proof of your claims
yea buts the pats have been in the afc east and lets be honest, there has been no real threat to dethrone them by the jets/Bills/dolphins until now. Its easy to always be in the hunt when the division stinks.

agree but still stand by my statement that i think it is amusing that a segment here have been claiming our window has been closing even as it was just coming open halfway through year one of JH
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
i would rather over value a second round pick then over glorify a guy who has trouble written all over him. its about the right guy and in my opinion, he is not the right guy. if he was the right guy, the deal would have been made yesterday

cciowa, i get the impression that you havent seen Gordon play a whole lot. No one is over glorifying his value. If it wasnt for the character concerns, he would demand a first round pick easy. You do know that the guy was suspended for two games this season and already has more combined yardage and TDs than our entire receiving squad, Boldin excluded, combined?

How long are we gonna sit around and wait for the "right guy" to show up? There comes a time when you have to go and get the "right guy" and you may possibly even have to gamble on the "right guy".

Fact is we need WR help NOW. We also need WR for 2014.

Why not gamble on this guy? Whats the worse that can happen? We lose a second round pick, and eat an extremely cheap contract. But if he works out? If he looks this good on the browns with weeden throwing the ball, what do you think he could do for the 49ers?

Great highlights...too bad we never run plays like this. Can you imagine how bored and frustrated he'd get with 1 target a game, maybe 2...both deep sideline routes? We aren't exactly a team that "spreads it around to everyone." Hell, we had Randy Freaking Moss and we only used him as a decoy!

Thats because thats all Moss was good for. He wasnt fast, and he wasnt able to go get the ball like he once could. Strictly speaking, he was only good as a decoy. Moss had no buisness being on an NFL roster last season.

We havent geared the offense towards using a threat like Gordon because we simply don't have a threat like Gordon. We havent since TO left.

Those highlights are with weeden throwing the football.....
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great highlights...too bad we never run plays like this. Can you imagine how bored and frustrated he'd get with 1 target a game, maybe 2...both deep sideline routes? We aren't exactly a team that "spreads it around to everyone." Hell, we had Randy Freaking Moss and we only used him as a decoy!

We had Randy Freaking Moss, but the problem was he also came with a walking cane. lol.

This lol. we should have signed steve largent.
Yeah but the reports were not simply that Gordon should play in SF, but rather that the Niners and Browns had talked about a trade, and that the Browns were asking for a second rounder. I also thought it was unlikely to happen, but it was an interesting topic of discussion for a brief period. But now the Browns are clearly saying they have no plans to trade Gordon.

No, they are trying to save face with the fans. Lonbardi wants Gordon out of there yesterday. He does not want to build around him, and if i am not mistaken he called the second round pick used to get Gordon, a "wasted pick".

No, they are trying to save face with the fans. Lonbardi wants Gordon out of there yesterday. He does not want to build around him, and if i am not mistaken he called the second round pick used to get Gordon, a "wasted pick".
I agree. GM's do not typically come out and say, "HEY, WE'RE TRADING THIS GUY!" That reduces their leverage, and risks upsetting the player if he ultimately isn't traded. Remember this offseason with Alex Smith? It was a 100% certainty that we were trading him, but Harbaugh said stuff like, "well, it never hurts to have a player of Alex's caliber on the roster in any capacity," and Baalke admitted a trade was a possibility but stopped well short of guaranteeing it. It's posturing on the Browns' part.

That said, I don't think he will be traded, at least not to the 49ers. But you've got to take what these executives say with a grain of salt.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Its good news.....but we don't know how much of an impact they will make.

Tank/Dial - As far as depth, that is good news. Hopefully Mcdonald isn't out too long and Aldon comes back maybe after the bye.

Manningham/Crabs - We are not sure how much of an impact these two will have. I'm excited as most of you are but these injures that their coming back from, aside from AP, they need get the physical and mental part of the game back in their heads. It'll take them time before they play withoutout fear of reinjuring themselves again. I've never had that injury personally but just hearing players talk about that type of injury. I hope I'm wrong though. There were rumors awhile back about a Browns/49ers trade for Josh Gordon, reportedly for a 2nd round pick I believe (not sure if $ as well). I think our coaching staff can help the kid out with his off the field issues (ie, Aldon). Wouldn't that be a security blanket for our WR core? Having Boldin, Crabs, Manningham, and Gordon as our WR core for the playoffs....that would be insane.

He ain't ever comin back yo
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Yeah he will be doing 10 years in the pokey for the machine guns.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Baldie:
Its good news.....but we don't know how much of an impact they will make.

Tank/Dial - As far as depth, that is good news. Hopefully Mcdonald isn't out too long and Aldon comes back maybe after the bye.

Manningham/Crabs - We are not sure how much of an impact these two will have. I'm excited as most of you are but these injures that their coming back from, aside from AP, they need get the physical and mental part of the game back in their heads. It'll take them time before they play withoutout fear of reinjuring themselves again. I've never had that injury personally but just hearing players talk about that type of injury. I hope I'm wrong though. There were rumors awhile back about a Browns/49ers trade for Josh Gordon, reportedly for a 2nd round pick I believe (not sure if $ as well). I think our coaching staff can help the kid out with his off the field issues (ie, Aldon). Wouldn't that be a security blanket for our WR core? Having Boldin, Crabs, Manningham, and Gordon as our WR core for the playoffs....that would be insane.

Oh he's coming back.

Oh he's coming back.

Yeah, I'll be surprised if there's jail time for possession of illegal fire arms because he wasn't carrying them in public. They were in his house.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Oh he's coming back.

Yeah, I'll be surprised if there's jail time for possession of illegal fire arms because he wasn't carrying them in public. They were in his house.

Haven't really followed the story but did he have a license for it?

• Rascal
  • Veteran

Mike Lombardi did call Gordon a "wasted pick", but that was before he started balling. If Lombardi trades Gordon now especially after they traded Trent Richardson away, I am sure there might be riots in Cleveland. LOL. But, in reality, it could well be combination of both if teams are not willing to cough up a 2nd round pick at this point. Or is simply too early to tell as there are still a few weeks before the deadline.
[ Edited by Rascal on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
I agree. GM's do not typically come out and say, "HEY, WE'RE TRADING THIS GUY!" That reduces their leverage, and risks upsetting the player if he ultimately isn't traded. Remember this offseason with Alex Smith? It was a 100% certainty that we were trading him, but Harbaugh said stuff like, "well, it never hurts to have a player of Alex's caliber on the roster in any capacity," and Baalke admitted a trade was a possibility but stopped well short of guaranteeing it. It's posturing on the Browns' part.

That said, I don't think he will be traded, at least not to the 49ers. But you've got to take what these executives say with a grain of salt.

I think a deal gets done if Lombardi and Banner really don't want to build around Gordon but I wouldn't expect it until closer to the trade deadline.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kidash98:
Haven't really followed the story but did he have a license for it?

He bought it in (i think) Arizona where it was legal, then took it across state lines to california where it isnt legal. There is no license for it. its simply illegal to own in california.
Share 49ersWebzone