LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Practice Squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
So will that final spot go to a QB, TE, DB, or LB?

It's going to Okoye, on the IR he's not allowed to practice
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Psinex:
What about Okoye

I think he tweeted that he's going on IR.

He's not going to be on IR the whole season. His injury was described as very minor.

The severity of the injury doesn't matter. If he's on IR, its for the season unless he's designated to return. By putting him on IR, we basically "redshirt" him without taking up a spot on the roster or practice squad. It's a smart move.

The only thing about him going to IR is that he can't practice at all right? He needs all that he can get.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
The only thing about him going to IR is that he can't practice at all right? He needs all that he can get.

He'll get plenty in the off season and next years camps. He can still work out. Not sure how serious his injury is.

I think that's correct. He cannot practice on the field with the team. Okoye was so raw, he probably wasn't good enough yet to even warrant a PS spot. So if the team still wanted to keep him around, IR was a logical choice. He can still rehab and workout at the facility, be around the team, dive into the playbook, and workout at the many training facilities across the country to better his skills.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I thought they were going to give up on Okoye? What's the deal with them keeping him around?
Why omameh? He was terrible and showed no potential to be a starter at any point.
b]
Originally posted by buck:
I think we have one spot open.

1. Thomas, Michael
2. Bykowski, Carter
3. Morris, Darryl
4. [/b]Omameh, Patrick
5. Jacobs, Chuck
6. Hampton, Jewel
7. Purcell,Mike
Originally posted by steiber:
Why omameh? He was terrible and showed no potential to be a starter at any point.
b]

Apparently he picked up his play in the last 2 preseason games, especially against SD. Pro Football Focus graded him highly as a run blocker.

I think that's correct. He cannot practice on the field with the team. Okoye was so raw, he probably wasn't good enough yet to even warrant a PS spot. So if the team still wanted to keep him around, IR was a logical choice. He can still rehab and workout at the facility, be around the team, dive into the playbook, and workout at the many training facilities across the country to better his skills.

I believe they did the same for NT Lamar Divens.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The 49ers return to practice on Tuesday, as they begin preparations to face the Green Bay Packers in the season opener next Sunday.

They are expected to sign their eighth and final member of the practice squad on Monday.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-fill-all-one-spot-practice-squad
Originally posted by NCommand:
First guess...some will be added to other's 53 and this is a fluid situation. But what the heck:

RB Jewel Hampton
WR Ricardo Lockette or Chuck Jacobs
TE MarQueis Gray (H-Back)
RB Jewel Hampton or FB Jason Schepler
CB Marcus Cooper
CB Darryl Morris
NT Lamar Divens (after recovery)
DE Lawrence Okoye (after recovery)
I am exciting about FB Jason Schepler because he is huge his body and big thick when I was like.. Wow! He seem too strong too damn!

• carl
  • Veteran
I'm curious how many draft picks were lost due to this practice squad rule. I certainly appreciate that it's better for the players, potentially getting a chance to play. But it seems unfair to the teams that are losing players.

If my homework is correct, it was only our 7th round pick. The rest of the guys were undrafted, or FA pick-ups.
Originally posted by carl:
I'm curious how many draft picks were lost due to this practice squad rule. I certainly appreciate that it's better for the players, potentially getting a chance to play. But it seems unfair to the teams that are losing players.

If my homework is correct, it was only our 7th round pick. The rest of the guys were undrafted, or FA pick-ups.

I have to side with the players on this one. Why should they be forced onto a practice squad if another team is willing to put them on the 53? It is a good rule. Practice squaders aren't paid anywhere close to the same amount of money.
b]

Apparently he picked up his play in the last 2 preseason games, especially against SD. Pro Football Focus graded him highly as a run blocker.

Seeing that the Chargers didn't play their first string D at all, Omameh should have dominated against Chargers 2nd and 3rd stringers. I think that game was not a good measuring stick.
He is probably gone, or on someone elses PS, but Chris Owusu was cut by Tampa Bay.

Also no need for Schepler. We have 2 FBs basically, and 3 if they sign Marecic.
  • bret
  • Veteran
b]

You know, I agreed with you after the first pre-season game, and after that the line was having so many problems I wasn't paying attention too closely (I figured the 8 roster spots were already set and there might be more interesting battles to focus on). But then this week there started to be reports he'd been improving and by the SD game had played pretty well. I'm not sure, but what I did learn was that he had never been a tackle in college - he'd played 41 games at guard. So maybe the speed was a little too much for him at first. This staff has a pretty good track record with talent, however; so if they think he's showed enough potential to warrant further development, who am I to question them.
Share 49ersWebzone