LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Lets Settle This: Who will be the #2 Receiver?

Brett Swain
Originally posted by SofaKing:
That's a tough question. #s 2-6 on the depth chart is a very fluid situation. It could change by the day.

I'll go with the guy who started the other day, Marlon Moore. KW, A.J. and Collie are still very much in the mix.

He may or may not be the standout #2 but I like Moore and I definitely see him making the squad.
Kyle Williams at first then he will move to the slot when manningham returns.
better not be Vernon
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Yeah, he tore his PCL and MCL. The PCL is very hard to tear, unlike the ACL. The medical profession has REALLY improved ACL protocol / comebacks (RGIII, AP), but so few players tear their PCLs that the protocol for ACLs has not transferred over.

Now, to think that Lattimore tore MCL, PCL, and ACL it is just remarkable that he is back running but there was a graphic of his dislocation and apparently he did not cause any other damage (cartilage, bone cartilage, nerves, etc).

It's one of the reasons why Keenan Allen fell as far as he did in the draft, PCL tears require a lot more time for recovery, by themselves they're pretty bad, throw in an ACL tear and its just total devastation to the knee. Normally a PCL tear is an 8-10 month recovery at best, even though people keep talking about Manningham coming back to team drills late this month, I wouldn't be shocked to not see him doing light practices until mid or late September and not actually playing until late October, and even then, not at 100% of where he was before.

If that's the case, a PUP would be the proper move giving time to sort out the rest of our corps. I was under the impression that he was going to be cleared around the beginning of the season.

Yeah he is going to need until September / October until he can realistically get to practicing. PUP probably makes the most sense. Granted, the first part of schedule is brutal but we will once again start the year being a big running team and hopefully Hunter can join James to make a three headed monster. VD and McDonald will get a lot of catches and hopefully a WR emerges to seize the job I think the 3 of us are in agreement it won't be Manningham for a long time
Once we zoners figure this out, we should let Harbaugh know...
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I left Patton out mainly because I forgot about him, but also I just dont see how he can make a significant enough impact to become a starter as a rookie. I've never seen a rookie start under Harbaugh, so I dont mean to count him out so early, but I am not really sure if Patton is ready for that just yet.

I also don't know why everyone is so high on the kid when we havent seen anything from him yet? I know hes got a great work ethic, and people love him for that story about him coming over here too early, but he hasn't done anything to merit a starting job yet. I have to see him actually do something first.

Because Patton has been excellent when it comes to running routes, now that hes getting healthy he will have more if an opportunity to make an impact. Even with a busted finger hes been one of the most impressive receivers out there. That hes a rookie shouldnt be held against him, Harbaugh and the coaching staff have shown that they arent afraid to play a rookie if they are ready to cobtribute. I think Patton could be a HUGE impact player for the 49ers. Before the draft I felt Patton had NFL #1 WR potential and I still believe that.

Again, there is no actual merit to what you are saying. I read all reports about the 49ers, and I have read absolutely nothing about how this kid is standing out among the rest of his WR peers. I'm not saying he is a bad receiver by any means, but I don't quite understand all the high praise for the kid when he hasn't done a single thing, and there are more experienced receivers who have been just as successful as he has in camp who should, and probably will earn a spot over Patton. (Moore, Collie, Williams, Osgood)

I do agree that Patton will be a contributor at some point in his career, but I'm still waiting for him to actually do something special before I start feeling like he is a viable contender for ANY playing time come the regular season.
According to Roman, there is no such thing. We run personnel packages. I tend to believe him. No doubt last year Crabs was number one and this year it will be Boldin, but after that its likely a TE story, with a sprinkle of various receivers.
[ Edited by sweetDwilly on Aug 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM ]
I'm going with a combination of former and near former Webzone favorites in rotation...

Rashaun Woods
Brandon Lloyd
Ricardo Lockette

Michael Crabtree *He WAS a bust so he fits too.*

And our all time favorite QB to throw it to them in relief of Kaep.....JT Osullivan baby!

Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
According to Roman, there is no such thing. We run personnel packages. I tend to believe him. No doubt last year Crabs was number one and this year it will be Boldin, but after that its likely a TE story, with a sprinkle of various receivers.

100% agree!

Originally posted by 49erWay:
I'm going with a combination of former and near former Webzone favorites in rotation...

Rashaun Woods
Brandon Lloyd
David Boston

Michael Crabtree *He WAS a bust so he fits too.*

And our all time favorite QB to throw it to them in relief of Kaep.....JT Osullivan baby!

Fixed.
I left Patton out mainly because I forgot about him, but also I just dont see how he can make a significant enough impact to become a starter as a rookie. I've never seen a rookie start under Harbaugh, so I dont mean to count him out so early, but I am not really sure if Patton is ready for that just yet.

I also don't know why everyone is so high on the kid when we havent seen anything from him yet? I know hes got a great work ethic, and people love him for that story about him coming over here too early, but he hasn't done anything to merit a starting job yet. I have to see him actually do something first.

Because Patton has been excellent when it comes to running routes, now that hes getting healthy he will have more if an opportunity to make an impact. Even with a busted finger hes been one of the most impressive receivers out there. That hes a rookie shouldnt be held against him, Harbaugh and the coaching staff have shown that they arent afraid to play a rookie if they are ready to cobtribute. I think Patton could be a HUGE impact player for the 49ers. Before the draft I felt Patton had NFL #1 WR potential and I still believe that.

Again, there is no actual merit to what you are saying. I read all reports about the 49ers, and I have read absolutely nothing about how this kid is standing out among the rest of his WR peers. I'm not saying he is a bad receiver by any means, but I don't quite understand all the high praise for the kid when he hasn't done a single thing, and there are more experienced receivers who have been just as successful as he has in camp who should, and probably will earn a spot over Patton. (Moore, Collie, Williams, Osgood)

I do agree that Patton will be a contributor at some point in his career, but I'm still waiting for him to actually do something special before I start feeling like he is a viable contender for ANY playing time come the regular season.

This ^^^. He's been wearing a no contact jersey for most of camp. How anyone can have any opinion on his ability to contribute this year is beyond me. The zone loves the unknown though. I think we are all rooting for him and for some reason he's become the anti-jenkins in many fans eyes.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM ]
I still want it to be Jenkins, Moore or Lockette because I want a guy out there who can flat out sprint down field and run under one of those 60-70 yarders I know Kaepernick can toss.
I gotta say Austin Collie. If Collie stays healthy I think we wont miss too much on offense. I like his hands, his size and his grit.
I know he's one big hit away from drinking through a straw, but I think Collie has the pedigree for the job. I think that Kyle Williams is better suited for the slot honestly.
Share 49ersWebzone