There are 170 users in the forums

Who's better? Willis or Aldon

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's better? Willis or Aldon

Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by TheGhostofOak:
An argument could be made that Justin Smith is more important than both of them to this defense. I don't subscribe to the "Justin makes Aldon theory" at all, if that where true every OLB that played next to Smith would have put up huge numbers. Aldon is a special talent so is P-Willy. But when Willis was hurt last year Grant stepped in and our defense didn't skip a beat. When Justin was out, our D was real average and I'm being nice there.

Except for our record of limiting opposing RBs to under a hundred yards a game coming to an end.....

Remember who stripped T-Jax to seal the win?
Yes, I do. It was Larry Grant. Willis did not play.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311224026

In that game we lost the no TD rushing record and the 100 yard rushing streak..... Like I said in Willis vs Bowman thread, Willis is the better tackler, Bowman is the better cover guy. Personally, I'd like to see them switch responsabilities. Every since we started sending Willis in coverage most of the time, we haven't be as much of a dominate run stopping team.
An argument could be made that Justin Smith is more important than both of them to this defense. I don't subscribe to the "Justin makes Aldon theory" at all, if that where true every OLB that played next to Smith would have put up huge numbers. Aldon is a special talent so is P-Willy. But when Willis was hurt last year Grant stepped in and our defense didn't skip a beat. When Justin was out, our D was real average and I'm being nice there.

Except for our record of limiting opposing RBs to under a hundred yards a game coming to an end.....

Remember who stripped T-Jax to seal the win?
Yes, I do. It was Larry Grant. Willis did not play.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311224026

In that game we lost the no TD rushing record and the 100 yard rushing streak..... Like I said in Willis vs Bowman thread, Willis is the better tackler, Bowman is the better cover guy. Personally, I'd like to see them switch responsabilities. Every since we started sending Willis in coverage most of the time, we haven't be as much of a dominate run stopping team.

That was my point, we won the game and the the dude that filled in made the game saving play. The only records that matter is the W/L column.

I disagree with us not having a dominant run stopping D, we are still great against the run. Of course we where not as good against it as in 2011 but that was a historic performance that D put on. I also disagree that the assignments of Pat and Bow are what made us drop off a little bit. I think it had more to do with declining play from Soap at the nose. Also we ran a lot of nickel last year basically daring teams to run at us and we where still able to shut them down usually.
  • buck
  • Veteran
from another Godzilla vs King Kong thread.

I am willing to acknowledge that I lack the theoretical and technical skills to be able to differentiate the skill level of our All Pro line backing corps.

In the world of music, I can tell what music I like, but I have no way of accurately assessing the professional skills of a musician, much less of making any realistic comparative analysis of two quality musicians. I understand my limits.

I know a ton more about football than I do music, but I will concede I lack not only the requisite information but also the refined knowledge to independently determine if Willis is a better player than Smith or if Bowman is a better player than Willis.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM ]
Nice post Buck.
Share 49ersWebzone