There are 159 users in the forums

Our Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Manusky, Nolan, Singletary and now Fangio. Why do we always have the most vanilla 3-4 in the NFL? Talent-wise top to bottom, how can you not take advantage of the 4 best LBers in the game? I'd be having a field day scheming blitzes. Is it b/c we have small CBs who can't play press so we're are forced to drop Willis/Bowman and an extra DB or two in coverage?
We're in the 4-2-5 like maybe 75 percent of the game. That's really our base defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I will say that Fangio calls some of the most awful, predictable blitzes I've seen, its clearly not a strength of his, the 49ers have more than enough guys who can blitz and get to the QB but there's really no creativity, it's about as vanilla as blitzes get, however little he calls them. If you watch teams like Arizona, Philly, Seattle, they get all sorts of creative with their blitzes and send guys at you from all sides and angles, it's hard to keep up with.

Manusky, Nolan, Singletary and now Fangio. Why do we always have the most vanilla 3-4 in the NFL? Talent-wise top to bottom, how can you not take advantage of the 4 best LBers in the game? I'd be having a field day scheming blitzes. Is it b/c we have small CBs who can't play press so we're are forced to drop Willis/Bowman and an extra DB or two in coverage?

I think the philosophy in a nutshell is "stop the run and make em dink and dunk until they make a mistake.", so far it looks like it's working.
I think the only DB to blitz this year has been Carlos Rodgers the 49ers slowest DB.

Yeah. Whatever.

In the mean time he rest of the world is talking about how the Niners have one of the best defenses in the league and are praising our secondary as the strength of that defense now.

That includes:

Whitner.....who more than half of the zone wanted dumped.
Reid.....who more than half of the zone was roaring we should keep Goldson.
Rogers....who more than half the zone wanted traded.
Brock....who more than half the zone wanted traded for a receiver or whatever pick we could get.

Glad you've been wrong the entire way.
^^^ LOL. It's ironic how much you miss the boat here in NT!
Originally posted by 49erWay:

Yeah. Whatever.

In the mean time he rest of the world is talking about how the Niners have one of the best defenses in the league and are praising our secondary as the strength of that defense now.

That includes:

Brock....who more than half the zone wanted traded for a receiver or whatever pick we could get.

The LB's are the strength of this defense. It's not even close. lol
Gotta figure ways of stopping Russell Wilson's scrambling.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

He doesn't do well with quick nimble guys in the backfield who can recover quickly.

When he escapes the big dudes have no chance of shifting quick enough, and he has another 5 seconds.

Plug the middle, push it back with 2 interior linemen, and bring the wood with the quicker guys in his face everywhere and he's toast.
Prediction in next game is 9ers have more quicks in the backfield but not overly so.

In the playoffs I think they completely come after him and the seahawks won't amount to anything.
He will have to get rid of it immediately and Reid/Whitner will be waiting in close on the edges and for the slots.

Seattles days are numbered and Fangio knows it.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

To me I think its more about trying to beat their defense rather than trying to stop Russell Wilson. If you look at all Seattle's road games, they rely more on their defense than offense, they don't score that much points on the road.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by 49erWay:

Yeah. Whatever.

That includes:

The LB's are the strength of this defense. It's not even close. lol

Yup. All Pros across the board
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I will say that Fangio calls some of the most awful, predictable blitzes I've seen, its clearly not a strength of his, the 49ers have more than enough guys who can blitz and get to the QB but there's really no creativity, it's about as vanilla as blitzes get, however little he calls them. If you watch teams like Arizona, Philly, Seattle, they get all sorts of creative with their blitzes and send guys at you from all sides and angles, it's hard to keep up with.

The games I fear with the 49ers are when an O line can handle our 4 man pressure. Fangio doesn't have the creativity like a LeBeau, the late Jim Johnson or KC's D coordinator. But coordinators like those are rare. But you can get a little more creative than a Willis blitz up the middle.
there's no need to blitz i don't understand how people don't see the greatness in what we do. majority of offenses prepare for the exotic stuff. they prepare for zones and for blitzes they make the checks and make people pay. but when you line up man to man and say it doesn't matter where you go we're going to be on you.. that frustrates offenses.. and then you say if you do catch it we're going to hit you hard or make you fumble..see the patriots last season.. and now with our pass rushers coming back if you say 4 men can eat up all of the blocks so our linebackers can run free and make plays.. and if you're not running these 4 men will give you 3 seconds max to get open before you get decapitated..that it something rare. that is something that can't be schemed for. no offense has really flat out coached the defense yet, not in any game this season. the points given up in the 2 losses were a result of being out on the field for too long and no offensive support. it was 12-3 going into the 4th in seattle and 13-7 in the 4th against the colts.. the difference is if the offense had been doing its job both of those games would have been victories. if they connect for the touchdown after the punt block in seattle and not get a safety its 7-3 at the half and its a completely different game.

the defense is only going to get better now that they'll have no time with the reinforcements and if they can go back to really stuffing the run then watch out. he's going great imo, the only thing is when we're up stop playing soft coverage and zone. part of that might have been bad because of the lack of pass rushing so maybe not with it returning the zone won't be so bad if we're up.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
The games I fear with the 49ers are when an O line can handle our 4 man pressure. Fangio doesn't have the creativity like a LeBeau, the late Jim Johnson or KC's D coordinator. But coordinators like those are rare. But you can get a little more creative than a Willis blitz up the middle.

but with the returning players the opposing o line won't be able to hand a lineup of aldon, justin dorsey/mac, tank, brooks/lemonier. i don't think a line exists that can handle that.

it also depends on the situations because we're a straight up type of team so it'll be hard to disguise a blitz from our linebackers unless we totally change how we line up from here on out. creeping at the line anywhere means it's a blitz period, they know where 52 and 53 are at all times. so maybe a corner blitz like in pre season?
Share 49ersWebzone