LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 222 users in the forums

Our Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope that he isn't our next head coach. Nothing about the guy gets me excited, and that's not saying he's not a bad coach, just very underwhelming....
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
I hope that he isn't our next head coach. Nothing about the guy gets me excited, and that's not saying he's not a bad coach, just very underwhelming....

So you want a "Rah Rah" type of coach?
this defense was good before Vic came along, we even thought manusky was a very good d coordinator.

the only thing that excites me about Fangio is that we know he can coach half of the team already
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

You gathered that from my post?
Main concern is inability to prioritize pass rush in defensive scheme. I think he much prefers dropping seven back to rushing 5. Not sure his schemes work hard to pressure the qb. It's funny to watch what successful d's like Baltimore do to get the passer, and then compare the stunts and formations to us. We line up in the same formation like -- what -- 60% of the time?
Originally posted by schmons:
this defense was good before Vic came along, we even thought manusky was a very good d coordinator.

the only thing that excites me about Fangio is that we know he can coach half of the team already

above average, sometimes good. fangio has turned this D into a top 3 every year, including this year.

I think he's got a similar personality as George Seifert. Granted, George inherited a very talented team, but I think he did well. But I'll take Fangio because he's a great defensive mind. I think Tomsula gets promoted to DC and they'll continue to work wonders.

Kinda get this is already in the works. The search now is for our next OC. I think Baalke wants a young mastermind/teacher. Whomever the new OC is, they have their work cut out for them.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by amosmac28:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Fangio as HC, Donatell as DC, and Tresman as OC. And Roman as jockstrap washer.

If we're gonna go with a defensive guy at HC, I don't want to see anybody but Fangio. f**k Rex, f**k the guy from Seattle, and f**k the guy from Arizona.

My sentiments, exactly

I couldn't agree more. That is not Dan Quinn's defense.. that's Pete Carroll's defense in Seattle. He's overrated. I don't know how they could justify hiring him over Fangio after what Fangio has done.

I like Fangio as HC, Donatell as DC and Tomsula as Def. Line coach.. need to find a damn OC though.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
+1. I wish Kubiak can be on the team somehow, but i would take tresman. Roman needs to go far away as possible.
Originally posted by vermonator:
I believe Baalke is going with Fangio, he just wants to appease Jed, us fans, and of course the league (Rooney Rule) by showing that he is doing his due diligence in finding Harbaugh's replacement. It's all political BS... Fangio is both the safest and easiest choice, I just hope Fangio hires a good OC and QB coach that won't leave in a year, otherwise it's Nolan all over again.

The Fang ... good "teacher" and doesn't BS around (no sugar coating, you're either good or you're not).

6 hour interview

Would be nice to get a great OC like Kubiak in here... what incentives would one get for leaving their current job to come on board for the same position?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

You gathered that from my post?

Well, since you didn't answer.

Hell no!

Was our biggest problem on the offense or defense? So why hire someone that specializes in the area that we are already better in. Wouldn't that be stupid...?
I want to bring someone in that can get the offense on par with the defense, wouldn't that make more sense...?
Everything I'm reading now is he's gone if Gase is hired. Anybody see or hear anything different?

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Main concern is inability to prioritize pass rush in defensive scheme. I think he much prefers dropping seven back to rushing 5. Not sure his schemes work hard to pressure the qb. It's funny to watch what successful d's like Baltimore do to get the passer, and then compare the stunts and formations to us. We line up in the same formation like -- what -- 60% of the time?

Top 5 Defense every year is hard to argue with. Especially this year with all the injuries.
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Everything I'm reading now is he's gone if Gase is hired. Anybody see or hear anything different?

The press would have us believe he's gone unless it's bim or Shanahan. That just doesn't sound like Vic to me. He's alsays struck me as far more reasonable.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 14, 2015 at 1:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone