LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Our Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I haven't been shy about my dislike for Vic Failgio... He gets by on our worldly talent. A better coach woulda had our boys playing like the 2000 Ravens. One DE goes down and we're giving up 30+ points a game in the playoffs (to very good teams, I will add)

He's just SO SLOW to adjust. He's the literal weakest link on our team with Snyder (puke) a close second. In this interview, he's still spouting off a reluctance to let younger DLs earn their stripes in games, while also advocating Carlos Rodgers supreme slot corner abilities.

What's Harbaughs motto? If you're not getting better, you're getting worse. And Failgio has a lengthy résumé of making his Defenses worse the longer he coaches them. When you're in the middle of a Super Bowl window, why keep him around???

Thoughts?
Read that article. And I was a little weary of him saying that. If the younger guys aren't earning the playing time then they aren't being prepared correctly (something I doubt with coach T).

This season will tell if they are not being subbed in. We can't run three guys for 95% of the plays.
Playing the same DL personnel with near zero rotation is Vic Fangio's "philosophy" according to TB. As merely a fan, I will not question the pro's decisions but if it comes a time that Vic's philosophy is costing the team chances to win a SB as seen by JH or TB, Vic's job will be on the line.

I hope it does not happen that way and we go all the way this season.

And Vic proves doubters like me totally wrong.
I think Fangios reluctance is more.of a stubborness. I think he knows that his lack of rotation hurt us last season and he just doesn't want to admit it outright. Hes essentially.saying yea we need rotation but we have to he smart about who we put in which is an obv. He's just being stubborn tho and trying to have three last.word on the subject.
Im on my phone so the typing is jacked long story short I think Fangio knows hes going to have rotate despite his reluctance. TB and JH wont let the engine lose steam like it did last year.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
2011 we were ranked fourth in total yards/YPG. 2012 we were ranked third in total yards/YPG. We were ranked in the top two in points given up the last two years.

You're going to have a very hard time convincing me Fangio needs to go. Especially when you didn't name one available coach that's a significant upgrade over Fangio.
Yeah, the results, with the exception of the last five games last season, are hard to refute. But, I do think he should be rotating more and obviously, Baalke does too. In the off season, he's already talked about that being a question of philosophy, a remark that I interpreted as being directed at Fangio. It could be simple. It could be that when he lost Dobbs and Tukuafu last season to injuries, he didn't have anyone he was comfortable rotating in. If that's the case, with those guys back and healthy along with Tank and Dial coming in, we might see more rotating on the D-line. I'd also like to see some more inventive blitzes like he was doing when he was running that linebacker show down in New Orleans.

But, I think talk about getting rid of him is a huge over-reaction.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM ]
Smh
meh
Originally posted by Hopper:
2011 we were ranked fourth in total yards/YPG. 2012 we were ranked third in total yards/YPG. We were ranked in the top two in points given up the last two years.

You're going to have a very hard time convincing me Fangio needs to go. Especially when you didn't name one available coach that's a significant upgrade over Fangio.

That was a facial!!

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Hopper:

That was a facial!!

• MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

I haven't been shy about my dislike for Vic Failgio... He gets by on our worldly talent. A better coach woulda had our boys playing like the 2000 Ravens. One DE goes down and we're giving up 30+ points a game in the playoffs (to very good teams, I will add)

He's just SO SLOW to adjust. He's the literal weakest link on our team with Snyder (puke) a close second. In this interview, he's still spouting off a reluctance to let younger DLs earn their stripes in games, while also advocating Carlos Rodgers supreme slot corner abilities.

What's Harbaughs motto? If you're not getting better, you're getting worse. And Failgio has a lengthy résumé of making his Defenses worse the longer he coaches them. When you're in the middle of a Super Bowl window, why keep him around???

Thoughts?

You don't male coaching changes during a legitimate super bowl run. Our D has been top 5 the last two years. The overall problem was Dline depth during last season. That doesn't have anything to do with Fangio. Aka. Vick the Dick
I agree with you BIG DADDY......but who do replace Fangio with? Who would be available? I don't hate the guy but I think his expertise is lacking in some areas. " .
I don't think he's going anywhere.

Stubbornness was the downfall of Sing, Nolan and many other football coaches. It may be for him. This is where the HC comes in and sets it straight.

Maybe, who the F--k knows, that's why Mangini was hired - in case Fangio quits or whatever.
who would you rather see at CB? Don't blame Fangio for that, the FO hasn't decided they needed to upgrade. Nnamdi isn't an upgrade at the moment.

I hate nitpickers. We have a legit top 3 defense, and the best front 7 in the game. Fangio is still a great DC.
Share 49ersWebzone