GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Offense (25)
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James
FB: Bruce Miller, Anthony Dixon
WR: Anquan Boldin, Quinton Patton, Jon Baldwin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Lavelle Hawkins
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
OT: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis
OG: Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

Defense (25)
DE: Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, DeMarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerod-Eddie
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey
OLB: Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson
ILB: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB: Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox
FS: Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, Michael Thomas
SS: Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman

Special Teams (3)
K: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Offense (25)
WR: Anquan Boldin, Quinton Patton, Jon Baldwin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore

Defense (25)
ILB: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
FS: Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, Michael Thomas
SS: Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman

Special Teams (3)

you only have 24 players on offense
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
you only have 24 players on offense

Thanks, I forgot one of my WR's.
so if snyder is injured, will looney be on the 53?
Final Prediction:

Offense (25)
WR: Anquan Boldin, Quinton Patton, Jon Baldwin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Lavelle Hawkins

Defense (24)
ILB: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite
FS: Eric Reid, C.J. Spillman, Michael Thomas
SS: Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl

Special Teams (3)

---------------------------------------------------------

I still personally think we keep 52 and claim one person off waivers that we like.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
No prob bud. I like Hawkins, but gotta be cautious with the cap room. So if we want to get crabs off PUP and Mario, 2 have to go, And I doubt they will eat Baldwin's money, so It would be Hall/Hawkins which ever is on the roster, and another player. Who knows an injury may occur, lets not hope it does. We need to stay healthy. We have been lucky, only 2 guys out for a long period, Mario and Crabs, and one bad injiru, Cully's ACL tear.

Too bad neither Crabs nor Mario may be the same players when they come off PUP, and Crabs may not come off at all this year. With them both being free agents next year, neither will want to risk a career-ending injury coming back too soon, or taking any risks in a game.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I think that Jennings will be cut. He is getting old and finding a good long snapper is hard.
McDermott looks like a good long snapper and he is young.

Jennings is still good. Probably still better than McDermott, but I think it is better to go with the kid and his upside.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Final Prediction:

Offense (25)

Defense (24)
ILB: Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite
FS: Eric Reid, C.J. Spillman, Michael Thomas
SS: Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl

Special Teams (3)

---------------------------------------------------------

I still personally think we keep 52 and claim one person off waivers that we like.

Will will definitely keep 52. Patrick Willis is a very good player.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I have scrutinized the roster time and time again. I vacillate and vacillate some more, and I still am.

I have concluded that I am not management material.

My 53

(*Updated*)

QB (3): C. Kaep, McCoy, Daniels

Daniels has more to offer to the roster than Tolzien, hence the reason he was cut, but Daniels won't be active on game days. Next season He'll be the #2 guy.

RB (4): Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon (PUP: Lattimore)

Sorry folks, Dixon won't be going anywhere. Too versatile, and too important on ST to be cut.

FB (1): Miller

TE (3): Davis, McDonald, Celek

I'd like to see Gray beat out Celek for a roster spot. But either will make the 46. I get the feeling that Celek is gonna win.

WR (5): Boldin, Williams, Moore, Patton, Baldwin (PUP/IR: Crabs, Manningham)

We keep 5 because Manningham WILL be back at some point. But I highly doubt that Manningham is gonna be back in time to make a significant enough impact on the roster to be anything other than a 4th option at WR, especially since Patton showed with little time he got, and if Williams proves to be healthy. Unless we run into the injury bug at WR I just don't see a need to rush Manningham back unless we needed to. Unlike many here, I thought A. J. was gonna prove why JH & Co. spent a 1st on him. I thought he'd step up and claim that #2 spot. Man was I wrong!! Patton is the future to me.

RT: Davis, Snyder

RG: Boone, Looney

C: Goodwin, Kilgore

LG: Iupati, Looney

LT: Staley, Snyder

[Note]: 8 O-lineman.

Snyder can play all 5 spots and will be our swing man. Looney won't be active, but he and Kilgore are the future.

DL/NG (3): Williams, Dorsey, Jerod-Eddie

DE/DT (4): J. Smith, McDonald, Tukuafu

[Note]: 7 on the D-line

I think Williams starts over Dorsey. JH & Co. are gonna see their Okoye project through, so I really think that he'll will be back on the PS. We are gonna get rotation – good rotation – along the D-line this season. When Tank returns either Tukuafu or Jerod-Eddie is gone. I'd guess Jerod-Eddie will be the odd man out.

OLB (5): A. Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Johnson, Skuta,

Deep here. I thought Haralson was gonna be around for a while, but I understand the trade. Lemonier flashed all kinds of ability, and Cam Johnson has gotten MUCH better. At first I thought Cam wouldn't make the 46. But Cam has preformed better than Skuta to me, so Cam makes the 46 but not Skuta.

ILB (4): Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody

Man, Wilhoite really put a chock-hold on that #2 ILB spot. Before I was really concerned about the depth here, but he showed his ass.

CB (5): Brown, Asomugha, Rogers, Cox, Cooper

Cooper is gonna make the team. I think Cooper will be a steal and make the 46. Big physical CB aren't easy things to come by in the NFL. If we cut Cooper he won't last a day on the street; he's gonna make a 46 roster. With Asomugha the clear #3 (basically a starter these days) Brock will be out.

FS (3): Reid, Spillman, Robinson

SS (2): Whitner, Dahl

K (1): Dawson

P (1): Lee

LS (1): Jennings

Italicized won't be on the 46

Talent all up and down this roster. I think this season is perhaps the easiest 53 to predict. Plus, we have all kinds of talent stashed away on IR and PUP. We're set up to be talented for a long time.

[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Aug 30, 2013 at 7:01 AM ]

Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Too bad neither Crabs nor Mario may be the same players when they come off PUP, and Crabs may not come off at all this year. With them both being free agents next year, neither will want to risk a career-ending injury coming back too soon, or taking any risks in a game.

Are you suggesting they're going to half-ass it to protect themselves for free agency? Right, because going half speed is a great way to get a big contract.
We're about 24 hours away from the final 53!!! Get your posts in! We will score the best projections once its all said and done. Whoever got the most right PLUS had it earliest will win two tickets to the 9ers opening game against the Packers!

No, not really.... but will be cool to see who got the most right the earliest
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My final projection after the final preseason game, linked here, with salary sheet on NCH

I kept Cam Johnson, he had a great game, 2 sacks, and punt recovery TD in End Zone.

Kept Gray over Celek

Kept TJE and Tukuafu

Kept McDermott over Jennings, cost cutting move, I hate the idea, but It may be a reality tomorrow and Saturday.

Hall over Hawkins, mainly because I think they may bring Hawkins back after week 1, so they aren't forced to pay is entire salary guaranteed, this way e is cuttable, and be able to not eat salary. I would keep Hawkins, but with Manningham and Crabtree possibly coming back, we need to keep finances as a high priority.

Under my projection, we would have available this much cap room, $3,492,440. Not as much as I hoped. But the Haralson trade made sense then, and does more so now, it wasn't about Haralson not being a good backup, the 1.15M salary was too high, when Lemonier and Johnson are making league rook minimum. And Jennings, even at $940K, I deemed too much. I would love to keep Jennings, my hope is that a vet like Vernon comes in and says we need to keep the vet, and redoes his deal, and maybe gets extended in process, or Boldin does it, cuts his $6M salary in half, and extended another yr or 2.

Very nice AB.

• I had Cam all along and he solidified his spot even more (again, a Fangio favorite).
  • I "want" Gray over Celek but Gray got very few snaps last night (could be b/c he's not in the plans or we didn't want to showcase him in hopes of him making it to the PS, etc.)
  • Dobbs is the first DE off the bench and he even had 2 ST tackles last night. I'm not a fan of either TJE or Tukuafu but I wouldn't be surprised if we kept at least one...for one game until Dobbs comes back.
  • I'm still torn on McDermott as well esp. since Harbaugh publically said he was at fault for the missed FG (could be setting him up for a cut for Jennings).
  • I've had Hall all along BUT Hawkins is a veteran and can play WR "and" he seems to have an "it" about him when returning punts (though he only got a couple chances last night). He and Patton could end up being dynamic. So does that mean we drop Hall (who is also a returner) for Hawkins? Or do we go 4 TE's and only 5 WR's?

Love that salary cap info you provide us b/c it truly matters re: cuts!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM ]
Here is my final 53......

QB Kaepernick, McCoy, Daniels
HB Gore, Hunter, Dixon, James
FB Miller
WR Boldin, Moore, Patton, Williams, Baldwin (I have an odd feeling Williams might be a suprise cut, and replaced by hawkins, but i doubt it)
TE Davis, McDonald, Celek
T Staley, Davis, Snyder
G Iupati, Boone, Looney
C Goodwin, Kilgore
25 on O

DE Smith, McDonald, Dobbs, Jerod-Eddie
DT Williams, Dorsey
OLB Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Johnson, Skuta
MLB Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody
CB Rogers, Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock
S Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Ventrone, Spillman
25 on D

K Dawson
P Lee
LS Jennings (Harbaugh said McDermott messed up on the missed FG snap last night)

Inactives
Daniels
James
Baldwin
Looney
Jerod-Eddie
Brock
Johnson
Robinson

But im not a GM or anything, HAHA
[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Aug 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Are you suggesting they're going to half-ass it to protect themselves for free agency? Right, because going half speed is a great way to get a big contract.

Manningham is a free agent next year--after this season; in 2014.

Crabtree is not a free agent next year. He will be a free agent in 2015.
Share 49ersWebzone