LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by redrathman:
You're feeling is wrong. What part of the article indicates Mangini has anything to do with plays being called on time?

The issue is Roman getting the play down to Harbaugh in enough time to read the defense and check the play if needed. If Kap doesn't get the time he needs pre-snap, the offense can't function. Mangini is simply providing feedback.

Harbaugh should be credited with some of the issues as well. He called two timeouts pre-snap when he saw a look or formation he didn't like. Some of this is simply being a top line coach that can sniff a particular problem or weakness with the defense.

If you're butthurt over Harbaugh calling timeouts because of pre-snap looks, you're in for a soreassed season. He did it at Stanford and he's going to do it here.

I'm not talking about pre-snap looks. Those are not wasted time-outs, I'm talking about timeouts that are called because the play clock is about to run down and give us a delay of game penalty. When most of your time outs are called to avoid delay of game penalties, something is very wrong.
Timeouts are absolutely critical in the late stages of a half and game. The Super Bowl was the ultimate example of how important timeouts are. It would have been great if we had some timeouts at the end of that game. We could have had time to drive down the field after the last punt and win the game. But guess what? No TIME.

People are lining up wrong, causing Kap to correct them. All the shifting and moving makes it more difficult to avoid false starts. The O-line has to hear the quarterback screaming his head off frantically as the the clock ticks down, causing nerves to get rattled. Three false starts at home? Are you KIDDING me?

Mangini is a notoriously bad offensive coordinator. I have never seen our running game so inept. I have never seen so many running plays for negative yards in a game in the Harbaugh era. Our running game has never been so inconsistent. So what has changed? The elite Green Bay defense? Please.

I personally don't like Mangini for many reasons. Can I prove that he is the problem? Of course not, but I know the game planning / scheme was God awful against the Packers. We had two turnovers and yet we couldn't close the Packers out because we are dealing with shooting ourselves in the foot.
The good news is, you're only as good or as bad as your last game, so we have a chance to correct this stuff in the ultimate testing ground for game planning. If we can write the ship in Seattle, then I will be impressed and pull Mangini off the hook.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I'm not talking about pre-snap looks. Those are not wasted time-outs, I'm talking about timeouts that are called because the play clock is about to run down and give us a delay of game penalty. When most of your time outs are called to avoid delay of game penalties, something is very wrong.
Timeouts are absolutely critical in the late stages of a half and game. The Super Bowl was the ultimate example of how important timeouts are. It would have been great if we had some timeouts at the end of that game. We could have had time to drive down the field after the last punt and win the game. But guess what? No TIME.

People are lining up wrong, causing Kap to correct them. All the shifting and moving makes it more difficult to avoid false starts. The O-line has to hear the quarterback screaming his head off frantically as the the clock ticks down, causing nerves to get rattled. Three false starts at home? Are you KIDDING me?

Mangini is a notoriously bad offensive coordinator. I have never seen our running game so inept. I have never seen so many running plays for negative yards in a game in the Harbaugh era. Our running game has never been so inconsistent. So what has changed? The elite Green Bay defense? Please.

I personally don't like Mangini for many reasons. Can I prove that he is the problem? Of course not, but I know the game planning / scheme was God awful against the Packers. We had two turnovers and yet we couldn't close the Packers out because we are dealing with shooting ourselves in the foot.
The good news is, you're only as good or as bad as your last game, so we have a chance to correct this stuff in the ultimate testing ground for game planning. If we can write the ship in Seattle, then I will be impressed and pull Mangini off the hook.

Mangini has never been an offensive coordinator, so how could he be notoriously bad at something he has never done?
Originally posted by Jcool:

Mangini has never been an offensive coordinator, so how could he be notoriously bad at something he has never done?

I'll make a correction.

Mangini coached teams, have been notoriously bad on offense.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I'll make a correction.

His teams were bad... But in 2008 he was 9th in points and 16th in yards... Average not bad.
I'll make a correction.

His teams were bad... But in 2008 he was 9th in points and 16th in yards... Average not bad.

On the arm of Brett Favre.
You're feeling is wrong. What part of the article indicates Mangini has anything to do with plays being called on time?

The issue is Roman getting the play down to Harbaugh in enough time to read the defense and check the play if needed. If Kap doesn't get the time he needs pre-snap, the offense can't function. Mangini is simply providing feedback.

Harbaugh should be credited with some of the issues as well. He called two timeouts pre-snap when he saw a look or formation he didn't like. Some of this is simply being a top line coach that can sniff a particular problem or weakness with the defense.

If you're butthurt over Harbaugh calling timeouts because of pre-snap looks, you're in for a soreassed season. He did it at Stanford and he's going to do it here.

"We won the game! LET'S FIRE ONE OF OUR COACHES!!" <- only in NT.
Originally posted by verb1der:
"We won the game! LET'S FIRE ONE OF OUR COACHES!!"

I think we're the first team to ever play poorly on offense while racking up 500 yards, 34 points, and 0 turnovers.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM ]
I really think Mangini can and will help tonight vs the SQAWKS and the rest of the year. His job is to relay the message to Harbaugh & offensive coaches on how defenses will attack and react to 49ers offensive and formations. and to point out how to attack certain defenses. at 1st I didn't like the hiring but now I've changed my mind. The reason GB shut the run game down was because they sold out vs the run up the middle and on the edges. Hence that's why Quan had one of his biggest days ever and Kape had his biggest pass day ever. Trust me this 49ers offense is LOADED. If you sell out to stop the run, then Kape,VD and Quan will make you pay and if you play coverage then Gore & Kendall will carve up the inside lanes.

I'll make a correction.

You're making wild assumptions regarding Magini's role in the offense.

Stop it. He doesn't control the offense and he doesn't call plays.
Lol at some of you guys. Mangini is there to help in game planning. He is there to tell the offense how their opponents defense will attack them, so the offensive coordinator can create a game-plan to be effective. That's his job. Don't read into it.

You're making wild assumptions regarding Magini's role in the offense.

Stop it. He doesn't control the offense and he doesn't call plays.
My understanding is that Mangini has nothing to do with play calling and the time it takes to get the plays in. His input is oftentimes in between series where he helps us with the opponents defensive alignments and adjustments. He offers input as to what defenses will do to us and where to attack them. It is then on Jim Greg and Geep to get it done. After what we did last game I am impressed with whatever we are doing
Pretty much every team struggled game one running the ball.

Roman needs to have several plays ready before the current play is run. It's his job to get ahead of the game and have the play call in as soon as the previous play is blown dead.
It doesn't matter if it's Mangini or not. We have changed something. I don't know if this team has ever looked so helpless running the football. Not with Trestman, not with Jimmy Raye, never.

The Hawks have our number in Seattle, but it goes beyond that. Washington got blown out by the Packers, yet they could still run the ball. We have the "best" O-line in the league, yet through two games, we have more negative running plays than I can ever remember. Something is seriously wrong with our game-planning.
It doesn't matter if it's Mangini or not. We have changed something. I don't know if this team has ever looked so helpless running the football. Not with Trestman, not with Jimmy Raye, never.

The Hawks have our number in Seattle, but it goes beyond that. Washington got blown out by the Packers, yet they could still run the ball. We have the "best" O-line in the league, yet through two games, we have more negative running plays than I can ever remember. Something is seriously wrong with our game-planning.

They're trying to get too cute with the running game, too many delayed handoff's, draws, runs out of the pistol, no enough physical, push the pile running like they did in 2011.

The downside of Kaepernick taking over is that they've modified the game plans for him, but now they've also made him reluctant to run, thereby inhibiting the reasoning for adjusting the gameplans to take advantage of his athleticism in the first place.
Maybe he is the problem with the offense? Is that the thought?
Share 49ersWebzone