LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Most anticipated camp Battles

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Obviously, safety is going to be the biggest battle. I mean, Reid is probably penciled in for now, but I'm 99% sure that we're going to go through the majority of training camp with Dahl/Spillman as the starter. The hope is that Reid is going to win that role. They're not going to GIVE it to him.

The #2 and #3 QB spots will be important. Colt McCoy is probably the front-runner, but they'll go with Tolzien for now, since he knows the system best. I think those two will be fighting it out. I predict they'll try to get B.J. Daniels on the Practice Squad.

Spell RB between Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James will probably be the closest matched battle, but I think that the team will be trying to figure out how to get them both a lot of snaps anyway.

Slot WR will definitely be up for grabs. Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, and even Lockette will be fighting for it. But to be honest, I think just getting a spot on the team will be a huge victory for whoever gets on as a WR. Our WRs rotatte in and out quite a bit. I have a feeling that this is Kyle Williams' last training camp as a 49er.

#2 TE will be fought by Vance McDonald and Garrett Celek. No idea who wins that one.

The offensive line is pretty much set, but they're going to be fighting for the 6th and 7th lineman in games. Same goes for the defensive line and linebacker positions.

Cornerback will be pretty competitive too. Tarrell Brown and Chris Culliver are the youngest, while Carlos Rogers and Nnamdi Asomugha are the most high-profile ones. They'll be fighting for the top three. I think all four will definitely make the team though. We need depth at the cornerback position. I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many good cornerbacks, especially since this is is a spread-it-out, pass-first league.
Safety, backup qb, no. 3 wr, cornerbacks
Every position except qb, oline & Lb starters. Go niners
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Willis vs moody
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Cornerback will be pretty competitive too. Tarrell Brown and Chris Culliver are the youngest, while Carlos Rogers and Nnamdi Asomugha are the most high-profile ones. They'll be fighting for the top three. I think all four will definitely make the team though. We need depth at the cornerback position. I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many good cornerbacks, especially since this is is a spread-it-out, pass-first league.

This is going to be a good one as well. It will be interesting to see how the top 3 shakes out.
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I don't think Daniels is going to get serious consideration as a WR. He will be given every change to beat out Tolzien, and if he doesn't, he might stick as a RB/FB and special teams player.

McCoy is the CLEAR-CUT QB2 in my opinion.

I am most interested in safety and defensive line. Dial and Okoye are both going to give a serious, serious push to beat out the prospects we've been grooming for several years, Dobbs, Tufuaku, and the guys whose names are escaping me at the moment.

As for safety (and CB to a lesser extent), I'm hoping some of our new guys can finally come in and beat out Spillman, McBath, and Brock for those coveted backup DB and ST spots. I'm hoping to see Robinson increase his role. And it would be nice to see 7th rounder Cooper stick around for at least a year to see if he is a legitimate CB project.

I actually think Daniels will be the 3rd string QB but even if hes not he has a chance to make the team as a jack of all trades (WR, RB, FB, k/p return and backup QB) I am basing this mostly off of harbaugh statement about him and the fact that other than the first couple of picks he sounded more excited about him than the other picks in the draft whaich to me is really saying something!
I have to agree here. The McCoy pickup gives us a veteran #2 which makes Tolzien expendable (unfortunately). That opens the door for Daniels to be the #3/swiss army knife.
QB. I think Colt McCoy will beat out Kaep for the starting job.

Book it.
Originally posted by xtm059:

Book it.

Boss, boss, de plane , de plane.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for LVJay.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by xtm059:

Book it.

Boss, boss, de plane , de plane.
joe staley vs that 7th round pick.

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Marcus Lattimore vs Mario Manningham jumping jack-off

first one to blow out their knee gets cut
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
SCRUBS vs FODDER
WR is no mystery. Crabtree, Bolden, Jenkins, and Patton are locks IMO. Williams makes it as our punt returner. Manningham starts the season on PUP.

Lockett or anybody else would only be kept if they show a ton in preseason.
battle for the no. 3 wr spot, idk how much its going to matter though since roman/harbaugh rotate personel packages so much. would like to see one of the young guys take hold of the spot and make the most of it.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Marcus Lattimore vs Mario Manningham jumping jack-off

Nasty.
Share 49ersWebzone