There are 152 users in the forums

Most anticipated camp Battles

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am looking forward to WR as well. If AJ is able to take the top off of defenses next year we can do some damage...
Originally posted by susweel:
Willis vs moody
lol. That's one to watch, for sure.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Battle of the backups. Most of the starters are pretty much set.
With the drafting of Reid I'd say all 22 starters are set. Who can honestly beat out Glenn Dorsey?
Cox vs Big Dix

Special teams are important too.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Apr 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM ]
CB. There are 4 guys pretty close together. How will Nnamdi do? Is Cully ready to start? Has Carlos slowed a bit more? I could see any of those 3 starting opposite Brown.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Obviously, safety is going to be the biggest battle. I mean, Reid is probably penciled in for now, but I'm 99% sure that we're going to go through the majority of training camp with Dahl/Spillman as the starter. The hope is that Reid is going to win that role. They're not going to GIVE it to him.

The #2 and #3 QB spots will be important. Colt McCoy is probably the front-runner, but they'll go with Tolzien for now, since he knows the system best. I think those two will be fighting it out. I predict they'll try to get B.J. Daniels on the Practice Squad.

Spell RB between Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James will probably be the closest matched battle, but I think that the team will be trying to figure out how to get them both a lot of snaps anyway.

Slot WR will definitely be up for grabs. Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, and even Lockette will be fighting for it. But to be honest, I think just getting a spot on the team will be a huge victory for whoever gets on as a WR. Our WRs rotatte in and out quite a bit. I have a feeling that this is Kyle Williams' last training camp as a 49er.

#2 TE will be fought by Vance McDonald and Garrett Celek. No idea who wins that one.

The offensive line is pretty much set, but they're going to be fighting for the 6th and 7th lineman in games. Same goes for the defensive line and linebacker positions.

Cornerback will be pretty competitive too. Tarrell Brown and Chris Culliver are the youngest, while Carlos Rogers and Nnamdi Asomugha are the most high-profile ones. They'll be fighting for the top three. I think all four will definitely make the team though. We need depth at the cornerback position. I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many good cornerbacks, especially since this is is a spread-it-out, pass-first league.
I seriously doubt Dahl or Spillman is gonna mount any kind of real challenge to Reid. JH & Co. won't just give him the job, that's for sure. But there's no way on the planet that either of them are beating Reid out. Trust me, that spot is taken. The real FS battle is between Dahl and Spillman for the #2 FS spot, but both will play ST. Personally, I think Dahl was brought in to push Spillman. If either of them were seriously in contention for a starting role I doubt we would've drafted a FS in the 1st.

I've been saying for years: you draft for starters in the first. And we did just that. Granted, we drafted A. J., but we also signed Moss amd Manningham. So clearly JH & Co. really weren't counting on him to start. Last season we had no hole to fill to start. This season we had FS to fill. Yet we only signed Dahl. To me, that shows that JH & Co. fully expects Reid to start. Even if Reid struggles a bit (which I doubt), do you honestly think Dahl or Spillman would be a better option than Reid?
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Cox vs Big Dix

Special teams are important too.
I doubt seriously that it'll come to those two. Dixon is our short yardage back. Cox's value is best on ST. And if Marcus Cooper does what think he'll do Cox will get pushed off the roster. I saw Cooper play, i think he's a steal where we got him.
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
my personal favorite is going to be WR I think:

I see 8 legitimate options at reciever no way we carry more than6 but more likely to be 4 or 5 so the battle between the reciever core should be very interesting

Crabtree, Boldin, Jenkins, Patton, Lockette,Williams, Manningham, and BJ Daniels ( think he is going to challene for a slot reciever position bot only 3rd string QB)

I'm also very interested in the QB battle:

Kaeps #1 obviously: but want to see what harbaugh can do with Mccoy and Daniels, interested to see if the both beat out tolzien.

what other positions are you most interested in for camp and why?

Neither will beat out Tolzien.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
The competition between LaMichael James and Kendall hunter is really the only camp battle that intrigues me.
I'm excited about the d line. This is the most I've been excited about the d line in years. The line has a chance to be better than the linebacker corp. Just saying.

I'm looking forward to Glen Dorsey and these rooks pressing some guys that have been here but not really done anything.. i.e. dobbs, tukuafo, williams, anybody not named Justin Smith or Ray Mcdonald.
[ Edited by fister30 on Apr 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM ]

If everyone is healthy, these are my locks for the roster.

QB- Kap,McCoy
RB- Gore, Hunter, James, Lattimore(PUP at least)
FB- Miller
WR- Crabs, Boldin, Mario, AJJ
TE- Vernon, McDonald
OL- Goodwin, Looney, Kilgore, Davis, Iupati, Staley, Boone
DL- J.Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Tank, I.Williams
OLB- Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier
ILB- Willis, Bowman, Skuta
CB- Rogers, Brown, Culliver
S- Reid, Whitner, Dahl
ST- Lee, Dawson, Jennings

By count that's 40 players locked in. I want to put Patton, but never know, maybe he comes in and doesn't perform, we've seen 3rd round picks cut in year 1 before season because they didn't perform.

My battles to watch out for.

QB3- Daniels vs Tolzien (Daniels brings more to the table, can be like Tebow, but probably better, a gunner, returner if need be)
Do we keep Dixon or Hampton, or maybe this DJ Harper has something in him.
WR5-6 Patton, Williams, Lockette seem like the 3 best to make the team, maybe Marlon Moore, but doubt it right now.
3rd TE- Celek, Morrah, Grey, and maybe Dobbs
8th and 9th OL(IMO), Bykowski, Marquardt, Wiggins, Netter, maybe a veteran?
DL6 - Dial, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Divens, Jerod-Eddie, Purcell
CB- Nnamdi, does he still have enough to make the team, what about Brock and Cox? I doubt both make it if Nnamdi makes the team.
S- Spillman I would have said as a lock, but his deal is cap friendly, and he isn't the best option at SS behind Whitner. So Spillman, McBath, Robinson, M.Thomas, do we keep 1 or 2?
OLB Haralson, Fleming, Johnson?

Thats about it.

My winners, for spots 41-53

QB Bj Daniels
RB Dixon
WR Patton
WR Lockette
TE Celek
OT Bykowski
OT Marquardt
DE Dial
CB Asomugah
CB Cox
S Spillman
OLB Haralson

53rd roster spot goes to either a Safety or DL. So either Robinson or Dobbs.

I keep 9 OL due to the fact of injuries happen, and better to have the best 9 OL on the roster. Hopefully a veteran will be brought in as insurance. We have no backup at Tackle, especially if both go down(Staley and Davis).

Edit: 53rd goes to Moody for ILB depth, forgot ILB battle.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM ]
The battle for being Dawson's place holder has me intrigued
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

QB- Kap,McCoy
FB- Miller
TE- Vernon, McDonald
S- Reid, Whitner, Dahl

By count that's 40 players locked in. I want to put Patton, but never know, maybe he comes in and doesn't perform, we've seen 3rd round picks cut in year 1 before season because they didn't perform.

QB3- Daniels vs Tolzien (Daniels brings more to the table, can be like Tebow, but probably better, a gunner, returner if need be)

I'm not a fan of Daniels. As far as QB's go, I'm more of a fan of a passing QB first, then a runner second. I'm pulling for Tolzien.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
my personal favorite is going to be WR I think:

I see 8 legitimate options at reciever no way we carry more than6 but more likely to be 4 or 5 so the battle between the reciever core should be very interesting

Crabtree, Boldin, Jenkins, Patton, Lockette,Williams, Manningham, and BJ Daniels ( think he is going to challene for a slot reciever position bot only 3rd string QB)

I'm also very interested in the QB battle:

Kaeps #1 obviously: but want to see what harbaugh can do with Mccoy and Daniels, interested to see if the both beat out tolzien.

what other positions are you most interested in for camp and why?

Neither will beat out Tolzien.

I think you might be on drugs if you think Tolzien, and not McCoy is going to be Kaepernick's backup.
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

QB- Kap,McCoy
FB- Miller
TE- Vernon, McDonald
S- Reid, Whitner, Dahl

I'm not a fan of Daniels. As far as QB's go, I'm more of a fan of a passing QB first, then a runner second. I'm pulling for Tolzien.

Conventional wisdom would be that Tolzien has a strong hold on QB3 given his longevity with the team and Daniels' very late draft status. But I almost think Harbaugh tipped his hand in the post-draft press conference when asked about Daniels. Someone asked if he was excited to have a QB3 who could suit up on game day and contribute to the team in other ways (as opposed to Tolzien taking a 53-man spot for nothing).

Rather than deliver the boilerplate speech about having to compete and earn a spot (and perhaps more surprisingly, without even correcting the reporter to note that Tolzien is the incumbent QB3), Harbaugh just went along with the leading question and was basically like, "yeah it's exciting."

That doesn't mean Daniels might not come in this summer and put up a stinker and be out on the street. But I think he's on Coach Harbaugh's inside track. No doubt the team knew he had no shot of being drafted before the 7th round, but then they made sure they got him when higher rated prospects were available. And they used the first of those three picks on him, because I think they suspected Seattle with back to back comps was the only threat in the draft to take him.
Share 49ersWebzone