LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

Baalke clearly does not like BPA... Especially in 1st round

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What blue chip players did we pass on in the draft that could fill the immediate needs we had?!?
Many pre-draft mocks had us taking Jesse Williams at 31. He fell to the 5th round.

I liked Margus Hunt at 34. Lots of commentators had him in the early second round. He fell to the third.

We drafted Quinton Patton in the 4th and he was Mayock's 4th best receiver. I haven't counted the WR's taken before Patton, but I'm sure there were more than 3 drafted before he was taken.

Those are just 3 examples from the most inverted draft I ever watched. Whether you follow Rang's, Mayock's, Brandt's, or MD;s top 100, many first and early second round draft picks fell to the 3rd to 5th round. And correspondingly, many third and fourth rounders rose to the second.

This year, basically all the "big boards" were really off when it came to where players would be drafted. But unless you build your own draft board, the public big boards form the basis for deciding whether a player was a reach or a steal.

With such an inverted draft in the books, it is hard for me to take those public "big boards" seriously. even though they are the best available ranking of pre-draft players.

Let's hope that Baalke/baugh has found us a FS that can be almost as good a centerfielder as Earl Thomas. We sure gave up way too many deep balls in the playoffs last year.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Holy Cow.

Overreact much?

Yeah...we should have Watt...its too bad we took that Aldon Smith bum instead.

Baalke said it last night...you DO draft for need when all the players sitting there are of similar grade. YOU rank Eifert, Rhodes, and Sly ahead of Reid, but clearly the 49ers did not. Ya know how I know that? They traded UP to get him.

Every year we see these ridiculous posts.

They took Aldon over Watt. I have no issue with that.
They took AJ over Martin. We'll have to see, but they were NEVER going to take a RB in round 1. LaMichael James aint half bad either.
You can't count ANYONE as blue-chip over Reid because none of them have played a down yet.

Elam? I like the guy, but he's a Whitner clone. We don't need 2 Whitners.

Bottom line? CHILL OUT.

this
Drafting BPA is all relative... depends on the team, situation, draft pick, who is on the board, etc. You don't ALWAYS want to do that. For example, if the best guy on the board was a QB in the first round, and you have Kaepernick, obviously you don't draft the BPA. In other circumstances you do... If you have a glaring need, and there is a kid you like in that position, I think you pull the trigger even if he isn't the BPA. I don't think its as simple as you make it... Also, Martin had that nice streak of games (especially against Oakland) but he is one of those guys whose numbers are skewed because of long runs. You can't count on those. I would rather have a RB who rips off five to six each time.
Stupid post.
You either go BPA when youre a team like the raiders and your whole roster sucks or when you dont have any big needs. Safety was a huge need for us and I'm glad we adressed it and happy that our staff got the player they wanted.

I dont get how any 9er fan can be upset with Baalke.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Drafting BPA is all relative... depends on the team, situation, draft pick, who is on the board, etc. You don't ALWAYS want to do that. For example, if the best guy on the board was a QB in the first round, and you have Kaepernick, obviously you don't draft the BPA. In other circumstances you do... If you have a glaring need, and there is a kid you like in that position, I think you pull the trigger even if he isn't the BPA. I don't think its as simple as you make it... Also, Martin had that nice streak of games (especially against Oakland) but he is one of those guys whose numbers are skewed because of long runs. You can't count on those. I would rather have a RB who rips off five to six each time.

I would rather have lattimore in the 4th than Martin in the 1st for our team. Martin would've barely touched the field for us last season lol
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
if you are not an Armchair GM, then what the hell are you doing here in April

That goes for all you critics of critics. WHy are you even posting here in April if all you ever are going to post is things like

Trust Baalke
If Baalke Harbaugh made the pick I love the pick
etc etc etc

What are you guys contributing to this board exactly? Except for the obvious which is Harbaalke is an awesome GM-HC combo.

EVERYBODY ALREADY KNOWS THIS

I am a fan. I am here in April. Got a problem with that?

What the hell are you anyway?
[ Edited by buck on Apr 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Baalke does not purely draft BPA.... I've often read that drafting for need over BPA was the quickest way to mess up a roster. Granted, Baalke is a genius so he's right more often than the normal GM is right. This is not a post to trash Baalke. I love him. BUT.....

2011 ----- Aldon over JJ Watt, who was a known commodity
2012 ----- AJ Jenkins over Doug Martin and everyone else in round 2 who was rated higher
2013 ----- E Reid over Eifert, Rhodes, Sly Williams etc in a deep safety draft (webzone faves Cyprien, swearinger, Thomas can be had later)

We should have Watt, Doug Martin and Eifert on our roster. 3 guys I'm sure will be tops in their positions in the next 3 years. We seem to draft conservatively, to grab good to very good prospects. Yes, Aldon was a home run but Watt on this defense... Good god!!!

I'm not drinking the kool-aid on Reid. He's fast, can jump high, and is a good person. But to trade up and forgo BPA, especially when Safety is considered deep, was a waste of pick #74 IMO.
The best GM in football didn't panic... He waited patiently and grabbed Elam at #32. For all you doubters, see me next year when the short Elam is still making plays like he did in college, while we're busy trying to teach football "angles" to the #18th pick. Let me tell you something about angles in football. You either have it or you don't. Gore had it, Barlow didn't, so we kept Gore. Just cause Reid is fast and can jump high does not make him a natural football player. I think he can be solid. But you don't swing for solid in the 1st round.

DISCLAIMER: Baalke is so good rounds 2-7 and in getting extra picks that he makes up for not picking 3 blue chip players in 3 years when it was staring him in the face

Since when did your BPA list take precedence over their BPA list? Arrogance of these newby posters is unreal

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

Is Big Daddy Lowell??? jk
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Apr 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM ]
49ers had Reid rated higher than Eifert. They proved they considered TE a need when they traded up for Vance in round 2. If they had Eifert rated higher than Reid, they would have drafted him.

/thread.
Unless your team is missing more pieces than it has drafting BPA in the first round is silly.

I think Baalke has established a pretty consistent pattern, and it's one I like.

Round 1: Best player at major position of need.
Round 2: Either need or BPA depending on how things are falling.
Rounds 3 & 4: Players with good production and talent who have recent injuries or character concerns that have caused them to slip.
Rounds 5/6/7: Fliers on amazing athletes, position changes, etc.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Baalke does not purely draft BPA.... I've often read that drafting for need over BPA was the quickest way to mess up a roster. Granted, Baalke is a genius so he's right more often than the normal GM is right. This is not a post to trash Baalke. I love him. BUT.....

2011 ----- Aldon over JJ Watt, who was a known commodity
2012 ----- AJ Jenkins over Doug Martin and everyone else in round 2 who was rated higher
2013 ----- E Reid over Eifert, Rhodes, Sly Williams etc in a deep safety draft (webzone faves Cyprien, swearinger, Thomas can be had later)

We should have Watt, Doug Martin and Eifert on our roster. 3 guys I'm sure will be tops in their positions in the next 3 years. We seem to draft conservatively, to grab good to very good prospects. Yes, Aldon was a home run but Watt on this defense... Good god!!!

I'm not drinking the kool-aid on Reid. He's fast, can jump high, and is a good person. But to trade up and forgo BPA, especially when Safety is considered deep, was a waste of pick #74 IMO.
The best GM in football didn't panic... He waited patiently and grabbed Elam at #32. For all you doubters, see me next year when the short Elam is still making plays like he did in college, while we're busy trying to teach football "angles" to the #18th pick. Let me tell you something about angles in football. You either have it or you don't. Gore had it, Barlow didn't, so we kept Gore. Just cause Reid is fast and can jump high does not make him a natural football player. I think he can be solid. But you don't swing for solid in the 1st round.

DISCLAIMER: Baalke is so good rounds 2-7 and in getting extra picks that he makes up for not picking 3 blue chip players in 3 years when it was staring him in the face

Since when did your BPA list take precedence over their BPA list? Arrogance of these newby posters is unreal

This.

We have people complaining about a guy that had more sacks in his first two seasons than anyone in the history of the NFL since sacks became an official stat. This thread is proof that people will find fault with anything.
He said Eric Reid was their #1 safety...how do you know he wasnt BPA?
Share 49ersWebzone