LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Baalke clearly does not like BPA... Especially in 1st round

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
I guess BPA is flawed to a certain extent, plenty of people in this thread have made that perfectly clear...

BUT we would have ended up with Watt, Doug Martin (rated late first) and Eifert (rated top 12) had we gone that route. Now who doesn't like that combo???

This was a thread to get people talking. That's what Ninertalk is all about. Fan speculation. No ZOMGs or I HATE BAALKE in this thread... just curious notes. If you think I'm stupid, fine. But I'd rather have those 3 over the 3 we got and I'm sticking to it

Once again.....like 5 people have asked you about this.....BPA ACCORDING TO WHO EXACTLY? What if Jenkins WAS the best available player on the 49ers board last year? You keep talking about BPA as if there's some magic objective draft board that everyone in the universe agrees on. Take 32 different teams and you get 32 completely different draft boards.

BPA is in the eye of the beholder. Teams value players differently for a variety of reasons.

One thing about Baalke is that he seems to like the high-potential guys who need to be coached up. Reid, Carradine, McDonald, Lemonier....all need to be coached up, all have a lot of potential, high ceilings....etc. You've got to figure that Baalke values those guys differently than another team might. In any case he's clearly not stumbling around in left field, it was no coincidence that Seattle traded down immediately once the 49ers jumped in front of them and they figured out who the 49ers were going with. I also wouldn't be shocked to discover that the Rams traded down in the 1st as a result of the 49ers drafting Reid. He's picking up quality players based on whatever set of qualifications he has for determining a player's value.

Nobody can say that the results have been bad, if anything they've been outstanding. The jury is still out on Jenkins but who knows what sort of player he can develop into, I haven't given up on him and I think he can do well in the NFL, but even if he doesn't, every GM, even your drafting god Ozzie Newsome makes some picks that simply don't pan out at all......does Sergio Kindle ring a bell?

For his overall body of work, Baalke has done a damn good job and I have no reason to believe that the players the 49ers are now drafting won't help them continue to be successful going into the future.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM ]
Baalke clearly does not give a f**k nor does he care for "fans" like you.
Dear god this BPA crap is annoying. Whoever said its a thing for teams with losing records is absolutely spot on. We have the luxary of signing for depth, signing for the future and instead of grabbing the best player available we are able to grab the player for a position we need that fits the mold of our team. Anyone who thinks they can do better then Baalke so far in drafting needs to turn off the video game console and join the real world again.
Some critics will never be satisfied. They have their draft bibles, and if a guy get's taken at 50 instead of 60, it's a reach. People don't want to take the time to really analyze the pick. Look at what the player does well and how he fits the scheme.

Take Walterfootball for instance:

He gave the Reid selection a C- because it was a "reach" and they could have had him at 31. Really? Obviously he would not have been there, that's why we traded up. It didn't matter that Reid is exactly what we look for in a safety, and was our highest rated player at a position of need.

He said Vance McDonald would have been a good pick if we took him at 61, and not 55. Is trading up 6 spots really that big of a deal? We clearly made that move because there was a high probability he would be off the board.

He also believes picking Carradine and Lemonier was redundant, because they're both pass-rushers....he doesn't seem to understand Carradine will be a DE, and Lemonier a OLB. Sigh...people like this drive me crazy.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM ]
Baalke said in his day 2 recap

"We stick with the best player available format, but when the value of a player is similar, you're going with need."

we obviously had Reid as our best available prospect at a position of need and our scouting department didn't see much value difference in any of the players available when we made selections.

I'm starting to think we have tiers within our big board. So when it's our pick if there is a position of need available within our top tier were going to take that guy. Soughta Explains why we trade so much to get "our guys".
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I guess BPA is flawed to a certain extent, plenty of people in this thread have made that perfectly clear...

BUT we would have ended up with Watt, Doug Martin (rated late first) and Eifert (rated top 12) had we gone that route. Now who doesn't like that combo???

This was a thread to get people talking. That's what Ninertalk is all about. Fan speculation. No ZOMGs or I HATE BAALKE in this thread... just curious notes. If you think I'm stupid, fine. But I'd rather have those 3 over the 3 we got and I'm sticking to it

Once again.....like 5 people have asked you about this.....BPA ACCORDING TO WHO EXACTLY? What if Jenkins WAS the best available player on the 49ers board last year? You keep talking about BPA as if there's some magic objective draft board that everyone in the universe agrees on. Take 32 different teams and you get 32 completely different draft boards.

BPA is in the eye of the beholder. Teams value players differently for a variety of reasons.

One thing about Baalke is that he seems to like the high-potential guys who need to be coached up. Reid, Carradine, McDonald, Lemonier....all need to be coached up, all have a lot of potential, high ceilings....etc. You've got to figure that Baalke values those guys differently than another team might. In any case he's clearly not stumbling around in left field, it was no coincidence that Seattle traded down immediately once the 49ers jumped in front of them and they figured out who the 49ers were going with. I also wouldn't be shocked to discover that the Rams traded down in the 1st as a result of the 49ers drafting Reid. He's picking up quality players based on whatever set of qualifications he has for determining a player's value.

Nobody can say that the results have been bad, if anything they've been outstanding. The jury is still out on Jenkins but who knows what sort of player he can develop into, I haven't given up on him and I think he can do well in the NFL, but even if he doesn't, every GM, even your drafting god Ozzie Newsome makes some picks that simply don't pan out at all......does Sergio Kindle ring a bell?

For his overall body of work, Baalke has done a damn good job and I have no reason to believe that the players the 49ers are now drafting won't help them continue to be successful going into the future.
Baalke does not purely draft BPA.... I've often read that drafting for need over BPA was the quickest way to mess up a roster. Granted, Baalke is a genius so he's right more often than the normal GM is right. This is not a post to trash Baalke. I love him. BUT.....

2011 ----- Aldon over JJ Watt, who was a known commodity
2012 ----- AJ Jenkins over Doug Martin and everyone else in round 2 who was rated higher
2013 ----- E Reid over Eifert, Rhodes, Sly Williams etc in a deep safety draft (webzone faves Cyprien, swearinger, Thomas can be had later)

We should have Watt, Doug Martin and Eifert on our roster. 3 guys I'm sure will be tops in their positions in the next 3 years. We seem to draft conservatively, to grab good to very good prospects. Yes, Aldon was a home run but Watt on this defense... Good god!!!

I'm not drinking the kool-aid on Reid. He's fast, can jump high, and is a good person. But to trade up and forgo BPA, especially when Safety is considered deep, was a waste of pick #74 IMO.
The best GM in football didn't panic... He waited patiently and grabbed Elam at #32. For all you doubters, see me next year when the short Elam is still making plays like he did in college, while we're busy trying to teach football "angles" to the #18th pick. Let me tell you something about angles in football. You either have it or you don't. Gore had it, Barlow didn't, so we kept Gore. Just cause Reid is fast and can jump high does not make him a natural football player. I think he can be solid. But you don't swing for solid in the 1st round.

DISCLAIMER: Baalke is so good rounds 2-7 and in getting extra picks that he makes up for not picking 3 blue chip players in 3 years when it was staring him in the face

lmao at you not considering Aldon Smith (the man who shattered the sacks record for first 2 yrs of career) a blue chip player and definitively ruling out Jenkins and Reid as blue chippers after 1 year and 1 day, respectively.

Also, we were already set at DE with Smith and McDonald, we needed a pass-rushing OLB. What do you think is a bigger upgrade - McDonald to Watt or Lawson (or whoever) to Aldon? Exactly.
[ Edited by kap2crab on Apr 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM ]
We have a Championship caliber roster. Not an accident!

We had 7 drafted pro-bowlers and went to the SBowl - not bad.

Disagree w/the poster and Baalke made the best moves.

The jury is still out on AJ - IMO, we'll see him hit pay dirt this year.

Every year we have "The Sky is Falling Crew" - this is agreat example of that thought process.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If you read my original post, you will see that I said I love Baalke, that he's a pimp in rounds 2-7.... But that he skips some obvious choices in the first round. And BPA according to whom? Every draft site that listed Eifert high. Every draft site that listed watt high. Every draft site that rated Doug Martin 2nd best RB and a surefire 1st round choice. This wasn't a critique of Baalke, just showing that he mixes BPA with need, which is probably the right decision. But we traded up in a deep safety draft and passed on a surefire stud in Eifert. Everyone is in agreement on those two points. This is a board for discussion. If people don't like it, fine, but I don't get why some Internet bullies get so emotional when someone says things they don't like. Phoenix, youve proven yourself to be knowledgable, but there is just as much value to the argument to get Eifert and a safety later. If other people on this site knew how to read they would see that I wasn't complaining as much as I was noting a particular Baalke strategy when dealing with the first round. He takes the safe pick, the very good pick based on need and not pure BPA.
I'm not sure where this post gets its BPA info. Most of the analysis I saw had Vaccaro and Reid as the two top-rated safeties, and the bonus is that Eric Reid actually played the FS position. He's the safety I wanted them to pick - mucho speed for coverage, great size for TE coverage, tremendous character, heavy hitter when he needs to, but coverage is his main game - a safety who has the skill and athleticism to step right in to a starting position. Then, when you add Tank to the mix, wow, what a great start to the draft.

Right now, I'm looking at an answer for Goldson leaving, an answer for second TE, lots more depth on d-line for Justin Smith and Aldon Smith to take breathers, a potential long-range replacement for Frank Gore and a potential good-sized fast receiver with return talents.

This is a good draft!

No one said the sky is falling. Don't u guys group me into the ZOMGs of the world. We passed on blue chip players. Fact. We're still better than everyone else and I'm certainly not complaining about it
No one said the sky is falling. Don't u guys group me into the ZOMGs of the world. We passed on blue chip players. Fact. We're still better than everyone else and I'm certainly not complaining about it

Every team passes on blue chip players lol. Can't draft everybody.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Anybody criticizing Baalke has failed at life.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for ChipDouglas510.
Baalke is a G
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Apr 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone