LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Baalke clearly does not like BPA... Especially in 1st round

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Further, he appears (at least from what i've been reading) to be a schematic fit for the 49ers (aggressive, hard hitter, etc.). Essentially they hope this pick will replicate Goldson for about 5 million/year less.

On top of that....

I like Goldson but I always got the impression he would sacrifice sound defence to go make a big hit. It worked a lot but when it didn't we got burned badly. Reid, from what I've been told, is much like this but the difference is we get him early and we can coach that. Goldson was already an established player and sometimes its difficult to change folk.
Stupid 49ers god we will be lucky to win 3 games this year
Originally posted by pete98146:
I personally like the Reid pick even if we had to go up and get him. This selection had Harbaugh/Baalke written all over it. Reid is a terrific leader, smart kid with a high GPA. He comes from a good football program, he's faster than the other FS prospects and most importantly our number one need has now been met.

It's doubtful Reid would have lasted to #31.

All in all I'm very happy because I DID NOT WANT Elam or Swearinger at FS because they are too slow and FS/SS hybrids. Trust in Harbaugh/Baalke. We got the right guy!

The trade value was awesome to trade up. Giving up one pick to go up to get him at pick 74 is a steal.

That being said, OF COURSE teams draft for need. I always LAUGH when people say BPA. You cannot take BPA. For example today Mante Teo could be the BPA at picks 34 and 61. Baalke would never take Teo because he has to All Pro ILB's.

Another example would be qb. Geno Smith might be BPA at pick 34. However do you really want to have a qb controversy?? This is CK7's team, you need to use pick 34 on players that will help CK7 win now.
Oh No! Baalke didn't follow the NFL.com big board!
Originally posted by 9erred:
The trade value was awesome to trade up. Giving up one pick to go up to get him at pick 74 is a steal.

That being said, OF COURSE teams draft for need. I always LAUGH when people say BPA. You cannot take BPA. For example today Mante Teo could be the BPA at picks 34 and 61. Baalke would never take Teo because he has to All Pro ILB's.

Another example would be qb. Geno Smith might be BPA at pick 34. However do you really want to have a qb controversy?? This is CK7's team, you need to use pick 34 on players that will help CK7 win now.

Teo may go third round
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Armchair GM's... . Last I checked Baalke has an executive of the year award on his mantle...

if you are not an Armchair GM, then what the hell are you doing here in April

That goes for all you critics of critics. WHy are you even posting here in April if all you ever are going to post is things like

Trust Baalke
If Baalke Harbaugh made the pick I love the pick
etc etc etc

What are you guys contributing to this board exactly? Except for the obvious which is Harbaalke is an awesome GM-HC combo.

EVERYBODY ALREADY KNOWS THIS

Chill.
I personally like the Reid pick even if we had to go up and get him. This selection had Harbaugh/Baalke written all over it. Reid is a terrific leader, smart kid with a high GPA. He comes from a good football program, he's faster than the other FS prospects and most importantly our number one need has now been met.

All in all I'm very happy because I DID NOT WANT Elam or Swearinger at FS because they are too slow and FS/SS hybrids. Trust in Harbaugh/Baalke. We got the right guy!

I guess BPA is flawed to a certain extent, plenty of people in this thread have made that perfectly clear...

BUT we would have ended up with Watt, Doug Martin (rated late first) and Eifert (rated top 12) had we gone that route. Now who doesn't like that combo???

This was a thread to get people talking. That's what Ninertalk is all about. Fan speculation. No ZOMGs or I HATE BAALKE in this thread... just curious notes. If you think I'm stupid, fine. But I'd rather have those 3 over the 3 we got and I'm sticking to it
Aldon is on pace to break Reggie White's sack record, AJ has been in the league one year and wasnt expected to do much his first year anyway and Eric Reid hasnt even been fitted for a uniform yet. calm down.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Armchair GM's... . Last I checked Baalke has an executive of the year award on his mantle...

if you are not an Armchair GM, then what the hell are you doing here in April

That goes for all you critics of critics. WHy are you even posting here in April if all you ever are going to post is things like

Trust Baalke
If Baalke Harbaugh made the pick I love the pick
etc etc etc

What are you guys contributing to this board exactly? Except for the obvious which is Harbaalke is an awesome GM-HC combo.

EVERYBODY ALREADY KNOWS THIS

Chill.

Hey, he's sticking up for me! You chill!
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Hey, he's sticking up for me! You chill!

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Aldon is on pace to break Reggie White's sack record, AJ has been in the league one year and wasnt expected to do much his first year anyway and Eric Reid hasnt even been fitted for a uniform yet. calm down.

My point is that Baalke is choosing very good players, yes, everyone who gets drafted is a good player for the most part. But he's missed some pretty fine Blue chip players on the way, and that makes me a little curious as to whether or not this will continue in the future. We can't keep letting the Watts and Eiferts of the world pass us by or we'll be looking up at the Seachickens and Rams before too long. Perfect example, those rams, traded up for Austin even though they've been picking up lots of WRs lately. And dont tell me they lost Amendola, he never played for them anyways
Again, I just think your premise is flawed. Nobody on this forum (that I know of, anyway) has access to the 49ers draft board, so we don't know who they consider BPA at any given time. Question Baalke all you want in terms of who he selected at #18, but to do so within the context of this mythical BPA stuff isn't really a sound argument.

I guess BPA is flawed to a certain extent, plenty of people in this thread have made that perfectly clear...

BUT we would have ended up with Watt, Doug Martin (rated late first) and Eifert (rated top 12) had we gone that route. Now who doesn't like that combo???

This was a thread to get people talking. That's what Ninertalk is all about. Fan speculation. No ZOMGs or I HATE BAALKE in this thread... just curious notes. If you think I'm stupid, fine. But I'd rather have those 3 over the 3 we got and I'm sticking to it

We already had Ray Mac and Justin, both were gonna be here in 2011, and both are worthy starters, so a DE wasn't needed, an OLB was, as Manny Lawson was gone, never fit our scheme.

Give AJ Jenkins time before writing him off. Plus we had Hunter and Gore is still going, plus we got a speedster in James in rd 2, who worked out well so far.

And Eric Reid is worth the 18th pick now that I am thinking more about it. Maybe a reach, but we always reach and prove people wrong. Plus we have a Top 5 TE In Vernon Davis, why add another top money TE in Eifert. We are fine drafting, looking forward to day 2 and 3.

Nothing wrong with that
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

We already had Ray Mac and Justin, both were gonna be here in 2011, and both are worthy starters, so a DE wasn't needed, an OLB was, as Manny Lawson was gone, never fit our scheme.

Give AJ Jenkins time before writing him off. Plus we had Hunter and Gore is still going, plus we got a speedster in James in rd 2, who worked out well so far.

And Eric Reid is worth the 18th pick now that I am thinking more about it. Maybe a reach, but we always reach and prove people wrong. Plus we have a Top 5 TE In Vernon Davis, why add another top money TE in Eifert. We are fine drafting, looking forward to day 2 and 3.

Well said AB
Share 49ersWebzone