LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 312 users in the forums

REPORT.... woodson wants to play for niners and is lowering demands

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bleed49ers4Life:
CC we all know what you mean. Bringing in a rookie FS to start will be just as adequate to start and roll throughout the season. But I just feel that bringing in a seasoned Vet will be at our best interest if we are to repeat as Contenders for the SuperBowl again this year. I mentioned it before that our window for having a Dominant Defense is closing and the Flacons and Ravens exploited that in the Playoffs and SuperBowl. We need to bring in talent at the FS position that will somewhat equal what Goldson could bring to the table or even just below that type of performance. Woodson could do that over a 2nd round or 3rd draft pick IMO, if thats how the draft plays out. Less of a transition for our Defensive Backfield to have to endure throughout the season. Just think, with Atlanta, Packers, Saints, Giants, and Seahawks as our main enemies. Losses in the Win/Loss column will be critical if we want any Homefield Advantage at seasons end.

Im going to repeat myself again. Our window for having a Dominating Defense is closing! So until any present or future players can go to the next level and shore up the FS position, Im fine with plugging in players (Woodson has been versed in Dom Capers 3-4 Defense the last few years) that still have alot left at a low cost.

Just my opinion.
I agree with you on Woodson but the window for haviung a dominating defense is not closing. They are mostly young and if they draft well they can keep it up for years.
Young defense....Willis bowman Aldon brown culliver McDonald Dorsey I'd say that's pretty dam young to me
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Don't believe anything PFC says lol

This....x 1000, if I counted how many times PFC has been utterly, absurdly wrong this offseason, it would take me a few days.
Woodson is really, really slow. My stepdad's a packers fan and he b***hed about it constantly. Look how many times we burned him in the divis. round. I don't want this guy on our team. He's too old.
Originally posted by xtm059:
Woodson is really, really slow. My stepdad's a packers fan and he b***hed about it constantly. Look how many times we burned him in the divis. round. I don't want this guy on our team. He's too old.

Well.. ur stepdad don't want Woodson sign a 49ers for us because he is emeny with a 49ers.. anyway.. We must a sign him for one year then get a championship! that is simple!
ProFootballCentral is not a legit source
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

Well.. ur stepdad don't want Woodson sign a 49ers for us because he is emeny with a 49ers.. anyway.. We must a sign him for one year then get a championship! that is simple!
that is quite a leap,, a 37 year old woodson in no way shape or form is a major or a minor key to us winning a title, in my opinion..
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

that is quite a leap,, a 37 year old woodson in no way shape or form is a major or a minor key to us winning a title, in my opinion..
he did pretty well with the packers the last two years..same with Nnamdi...he doesn't have to be thee guy
OTOH, a guy like woodson added to what we have now might make it so that we don't have to have the #1 FS in the draft and could sign one of the 8 FSs or so all kind of bunched up in 2nd-3rd rds, and somehow with a big mix of guys at CB and S, end up ok. Alternatively, we move WAY up for vacarro(assuming HE is the best FS), and that would be a 16 spot leap for us. Somehow I just don't see baalke doing that in that he is so stingy with stockpiled draft picks. Maybe move up 3 or 4 slots, but i can't see him going up 16 slots. Granted, we desperately need that starting FS if we are going to make a realistic run at winning SB. Who knows what baalke will do, but i do see his job a bit easier when:

3 or 4 of Jax, Buf, jets, Cards, philly, cleveland, and Raids(not in that order) are going to do us a huge favor and take 3 or 4 QBs before we draft. If i am correct, that could mean our #31st pick is now 28th and our 34th pick would be #31st. That would help some. But still we have no idea what baalke will do.

That said, we still draft 2 DLs at #31 and 34.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
he did pretty well with the packers the last two years..same with Nnamdi...he doesn't have to be thee guy
i have alot of faith in nnamdi. he is a bit younger than woodson and not coming off a major injury. like i said,, if we sign him fine,, if not ,, it is not tragic

Depends on who we select in the draft.

How much of a difference would Woody really make?

He has definitely lost a step and I'm not sure if his experience would add real value - I really don't know.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
OTOH, a guy like woodson added to what we have now might make it so that we don't have to have the #1 FS in the draft and could sign one of the 8 FSs or so all kind of bunched up in 2nd-3rd rds, and somehow with a big mix of guys at CB and S, end up ok. Alternatively, we move WAY up for vacarro(assuming HE is the best FS), and that would be a 16 spot leap for us. Somehow I just don't see baalke doing that in that he is so stingy with stockpiled draft picks. Maybe move up 3 or 4 slots, but i can't see him going up 16 slots. Granted, we desperately need that starting FS if we are going to make a realistic run at winning SB. Who knows what baalke will do, but i do see his job a bit easier when:

3 or 4 of Jax, Buf, jets, Cards, philly, cleveland, and Raids(not in that order) are going to do us a huge favor and take 3 or 4 QBs before we draft. If i am correct, that could mean our #31st pick is now 28th and our 34th pick would be #31st. That would help some. But still we have no idea what baalke will do.

That said, we still draft 2 DLs at #31 and 34.
i think we have to do what you want to do in regards to the d line,, yes you can make a case for a safety or a tight end with 31 and 34,, but it is top priority to beef up that line folks.. doc is the brain of spock
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Depends on who we select in the draft.

How much of a difference would Woody really make?

He has definitely lost a step and I'm not sure if his experience would add real value - I really don't know.
i also think our limited money can be better spent elsewhere like putting some in the bank for down the road. now if we are setting here in july with some guys who got hurt or who will not make the team at safety,, and if charles is still around, then we have a different conversation. But right now,, i say no
Woodson would add a lot...intangibles, character, leadership and for Fangio, a peace of mind. Woodson, IMHO, if signed, should be moved to SS while we draft a high, true FS with a ton of range and speed and coverage ability! This way Woodson can play his game, up near the LOS, tackle and blitz a lot (could help refocus Fangio in this area)...he can certainly cover TE's better than Whitner and I doubt he'd give up 14 TD's by himself, no matter what age he is. LOL. That said, we still need a SS that can be groomed to start as early as next year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Woodson would add a lot...intangibles, character, leadership and for Fangio, a peace of mind. Woodson, IMHO, if signed, should be moved to SS while we draft a high, true FS with a ton of range and speed and coverage ability! This way Woodson can play his game, up near the LOS, tackle and blitz a lot (could help refocus Fangio in this area)...he can certainly cover TE's better than Whitner and I doubt he'd give up 14 TD's by himself, no matter what age he is. LOL. That said, we still need a SS that can be groomed to start as early as next year.

there is nothing wrong with what NC said. good thoughts on both sides. I do wonder why charles is not even getting a look by other teams. Is there some sort of secret decoder ring agreement with he and the niners that he will sign and he is shunning all other attempts by teams? do teams just not think he can do the job anymore?
Share 49ersWebzone