LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

REPORT.... woodson wants to play for niners and is lowering demands

Shop Find 49ers gear online
yes Yes.. Woodson must a sign 49ers for us please!!
just not sure if he has anything left... maybe we draft a safety and let him learn for a season or half a season behind woodson...
[ Edited by sactomkiii on Apr 20, 2013 at 4:16 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Sign him and have him sub in for Whitner on passing downs. Draft a rookie FS to start. Done.

Probably for the best. Woodson's probably best served as a situational player at this point in his career.
I guess people are forgetting Woodson is very good against the run and is also very good at covering in the slot........te's and slot Wrs. Even last year....didn't he sack Alex smith and cover Vernon Davis pretty well. Those are two things most safeties cannot do very well. Woodson, even at his age is still good at covering, blitzing and tackling. Some people must be focusing on his age as opposed to film. He should start for the niners and will probably perform better than most if not all rookies in the draft for at least 1 year. Nuff said
Originally posted by elguapo:
I guess people are forgetting Woodson is very good against the run and is also very good at covering in the slot........te's and slot Wrs. Even last year....didn't he sack Alex smith and cover Vernon Davis pretty well. Those are two things most safeties cannot do very well. Woodson, even at his age is still good at covering, blitzing and tackling. Some people must be focusing on his age as opposed to film. He should start for the niners and will probably perform better than most if not all rookies in the draft for at least 1 year. Nuff said

Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Yeah, I'll pass on all white safeties... sorry.

sign him to see if he can beat out the competition in TC
Originally posted by elguapo:

wow you make a good point and we usually struggle against teams with good TE's.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by robniner:
Originally posted by cashmahne:
Veteran Minimum or don't sign him IMO.

He sacrifices if he wants to win the ring + prepares us to triologize the Pack!

Could see him really wanting to come back and get at the Packers week 1!
i think that is what will happen,, no body wants him and he will crawl back to the pack, if they even want him. his time is done

He wants to play for us!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
I'm down, better than Dahl

dahl is younger, can play both spots and is good on special teams. woodson can not play special teams, he is also to old, no in my opinion he does not fit into our plans no matter how much he and some fans wish

Dahl is terrible at safety. So, you may say he can play both spots, but he can't play either spot well. This is an awful argument.

Dahl was signed primarily for his Special Teams ability.

he is a decent back up in two positions plus he plays special teams. you can judge him in a rams uniform if you want but once they are in a niner uniform its a different ball game. if he is so "terrible", why did the coaches and front office, who we are always told to trust, sign him? I can not understand how some people still do not get it. the players this regime signs are signed for a reason. dahh is not going to be a hall of famer like charles will be but he was signed for a reason and i just happen to think you do not hate a player in a niner uniform untill they give you a reason. this whole charles thing is silly,. we will draft a hot shot rookie who will end up starting game one.

Wrll, first of all, every staff makes mistakes. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Not every guy they bring in is going to be any good.

Or have you forgotten Braylon Edwards already? How about Randy Moss? Or Brandon Jacobs? Or how about the epic contributions we got from last year's draft class? Should I go on?

It's pretty clear they want Craig Dahl for special teams, so I'm not faulting them for picking him up. The issue is with your statement. Something to the effect of us not needing Woodson because we have Dahl, which is an utterly ridiculous view. Dahl is next to worthless as a safety. His being here will have no effect on whether we sign Woodson or not. None whatsoever.

And just to be clear, I'd rather roll with a rookie, as you suggested we will do. However, that has nothing to do with what we're discussing. Having a guy who can play - but sucks at - two safety positions doesn't mean we won't (or shouldn't) bring in a guy who did a decent job at FS when healthy. The more logical argument was the last statement you made - we will roll with a hot shot rookie. That makes more sense.
Originally posted by robniner:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
I'm down, better than Dahl

dahl is younger, can play both spots and is good on special teams. woodson can not play special teams, he is also to old, no in my opinion he does not fit into our plans no matter how much he and some fans wish

Dahl is terrible at safety. So, you may say he can play both spots, but he can't play either spot well. This is an awful argument.

Dahl was signed primarily for his Special Teams ability.

Clearly. That isn't what I was arguing.

My point was Dahl's signing will have nothing to do with whether or not Woodson gets signed.
I would love for Woodson to come in and be the starting free safety. If he can stay healthy then it's a great signing. But if he gets hurt then we have Craig Dahl at FS which I'm not comfortable with. However suppose Niners draft a FS in first 3 rounds, would they still sign Woodson? I don't know, but Woodson could come in for Whitner on passing downs. Put rookie at FS and we eliminate our glaring weakness in pass defense, Whitner.
he is a decent back up in two positions plus he plays special teams. you can judge him in a rams uniform if you want but once they are in a niner uniform its a different ball game. if he is so "terrible", why did the coaches and front office, who we are always told to trust, sign him? I can not understand how some people still do not get it. the players this regime signs are signed for a reason. dahh is not going to be a hall of famer like charles will be but he was signed for a reason and i just happen to think you do not hate a player in a niner uniform untill they give you a reason. this whole charles thing is silly,. we will draft a hot shot rookie who will end up starting game one.

Wrll, first of all, every staff makes mistakes. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Except for Bill Walsh. Never cut a player that went on to play in a single NFL game afterwards.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Except for Bill Walsh. Never cut a player that went on to play in a single NFL game afterwards.

He still acquired players that weren't any good. Just because cutting them wasn't a mistake doesn't mean acquiring them wasn't. Every staff does it - it's inevitable. No big deal.
Share 49ersWebzone