2013 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
im killing you right now, in my head...lol

Bwahahahahaha!
just bring in someone,, he can be a bum,, as long as its a body behind dorsey,, hell trade one of our glittery 7th round picks for one
Im on the outside Im sure, but what I really think is that we need to draft that TRUE NT to keep blockers off our best defensive players. We were a dominant defense in 2011, when we also kept opponents from from having any rushing TDs until week 16. That's an unbelievable rush defense to have that stat. we could keep teams one-dimensional and if we could snatch a lockdown corner early as well, then our D, may be back to the top where we belong. We need a monster in the middle to force those third and longs with regularity. That's the Defense Im used to seeing in SF. NOT that 5yds/att to start in 2013.

This is not acceptable run D were showing to cover our deficiencies on Pass D
part of me thinks they're being too cute with this fb move and crossing their fingers they make it until week 7 or whatever so dial and/or carradine can come back. personally i hope they have another move in mind, we have some "end of the roster" guys who we could part with
[ Edited by crabman82 on Sep 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Im on the outside Im sure, but what I really think is that we need to draft that TRUE NT to keep blockers off our best defensive players. We were a dominant defense in 2011, when we also kept opponents from from having any rushing TDs until week 16. That's an unbelievable rush defense to have that stat. we could keep teams one-dimensional and if we could snatch a lockdown corner early as well, then our D, may be back to the top where we belong. We need a monster in the middle to force those third and longs with regularity. That's the Defense Im used to seeing in SF. NOT that 5yds/att to start in 2013.

I've really wanted them to go after a monster NT but all things need to fall right in the draft for that to happen. Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Justin and Mac are already expensive to keep...and Brooks as well.
Originally posted by crabman82:
part of me thinks they're being too cute with this fb move and crossing their fingers they make it until week 7 or whatever so dial and/or carradine can come back. personally i hope they have another move in mind, we have some "end of the roster" guys who we could part with
Miller has been crap they needed to make that move. But they also need to make a move on a d lineman as well. Need some beef up front for the 4 man line. They are throwing 4 de's out there in Brooks, Raymac, Aldon, and Smith. Guards are blowing them off the ball. Really need Dorsey to step his game up. Same reason why the Giants are getting ran all over with that Nascar package. Need some beef up front so other guys can flow ot the ball.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I've really wanted them to go after a monster NT but all things need to fall right in the draft for that to happen. Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Justin and Mac are already expensive to keep...and Brooks as well.
With the sack numbers Aldon has put up I'm not sure how his agent won't demand top dollar. He's gonna break the bank.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Same here....this has been a wish of mine since the Wilfork-days. The 3-4 starts with the NT. Period. I'd take any one of the three GB threw out at us...Raji/Jolly/Pickett. We saw how much they rotated and dominated our inside run game (C & G's). It freed up their OLB's to rush and kept theirILB's clean to roam free. Granted, we abused their secondary but make no mistake about it, there was no way we were going to run inside on them. I don't have that confidence with us anymore. And the more teams pass on us, the more Willis/Bowman are stuck in underneath coverage rather than playing down hill. RB's are getting to our second level and we're struggling inside some already against these bigger backs esp. around the goal line. I just read where Dial could be back after October 3rd. I hope we're not counting on him to be a NT. I'd prefer him to stay at LDE for McDonald who always seems to have minor injuries.

Current Interests/Needs (in order of importance IMHO) - Note that top tier = higher need & second tier = secondary need (some breathing room). If a need is labeled top tier, it could also indicate the large drop off in talent from a starter to the next-man-up.

Top Tier T - We needed a "swing T" so we got three: Carter Bykowski and Luke Marquardt (PUP) and we brought back Adam Snyder. That said, Marquardt is on the NFI list, Bykowski was cut and NOBODY wants Snyder to be the backside blocker for CK (hand injury as well). Worse off, if there is another injury to Staley, we may have to mess with the chemistry along the entire OL and move Boone from RG to T (not easy to adjust to on the fly) and insert someone else at RG (2 of 5 positions); that would be Looney (LG) or Kilgore. This is NOT good. We still have a major hole here IMHO. I'm waiting for us to pick up a veteran LT...
Top Tier Cover SS - It's safe to say the FO got their man in Reid at FS. Dahl seems like a viable backup at both SS/FS and will also help a ton on ST. That said, Whitner still can't cover esp. in the RZ and looks even slower to me so far in pre season; so scheme will have to be the theme for 2013 here. Fangio is going to have to put Reid 1on1 on the Boldin's and tall slot TE's of the world. That said, he didn't do that with Goldson, so why would he with Reid? Nothing else to report here save for Spillman and perhaps, Robinson (if he even makes it; short as well). We shouldn't have to rely solely on the pass rush esp. in the RZ where passes are typically made less than a 3-step drop and right down the middle of the field (I'm looking at you Whitner and the underneath coverage of Willis/Bowman!).
Top Kickoff Coverage Unit/Ace Kick-Punt Returner - Our best gunners this pre season by far were Lockette, Morris and Osgood. All are gone. And Moore may not be playing gunner on ST either if he isa primary WR. This is an ignored area of concern and it cost us in the (NFCCG and Superbowl) and it still affected us greatly in pre season. Cox has looked better than James (injured) but nobody would classify him as "dynamic/electric" and nobody fears him taking it to the house every time he touches the ball (like we do against every team we face, it seems). While some teams have 2 dynamic returners, we can't seem to find one. Now Patton is being tried out, Williams is back but hasn't taken a snap all pre season and Hawkins was cut; he looked like the only real viable "dynamic" returner who has some "it" to him. We seem to have good interior guys but not lightning speed outside. Spillman and Brock will rack up the tackles again on the outside but these are the same two gunners as last year and that unit was average, at best. Raymond Ventrone was given to Seely but he is also expected to be cut when others return and come off the PUP. I'm expecting Seely to resign any day now. LOL
Top or Second Tier DE - Tomsula had Christmas with getting Cornellius Carradine, Quinton Dial and a major project in Lawrence Okoye but he may not see any of them until Christmas 2013! That said, Tank and Dial will most likely be red-shirted this year (PUP) and Okoye is still hoping to make the PS. Fortunately, Dobbs continues to impress and is expected t supplant either Will Tukuafu or Tony Jerod-Eddie after week 1.
Top or Second Tier CB - In the end, we only kept 5 CB's. For a team that is historically facing 4+ WR sets and tends to suffer injuries here, this may be a little concerning. There is now a good chance we lose both Marcus Cooper and Darryl Morris. We are expecting Eric Wright back after week 6 though and hopefully, he'll be up to game speed.
Top or Second Tier NT - SCHEME is the new THEME in 2013! With keeping 6 DL, expect many more 4-man DL sets with plenty of outside pass rushers up at the LOS. Ian Williams thus far, has been tremendous and appears to be even better than Sopoaga/RJF and Glen Dorsey appears to be a viable rotation NT and he can also play DE. Lamar Divens may be added to the PS and developed ala Ian Williams last year.
Second Tier WR - Well, it seems like Moore or Patton will end up being the primary WR opposite Boldin. Crabtree's injury hurts a lot but thankfully we have an even more productive veteran in Boldin to ease that loss. Do not expect Crabtree back at all this year though IMHO. That said, we can expect Manningham back after week 6 which is why we will start the year with only 5 WR's: X = Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Quinton Patton. The important thing to remember here is that we run a "package offense" so ALL of these guys will be used in all WR positions depending on the play called by HaRoMan. And let's be honest here, keeping only 5 WR's is a strong indication that we plan on using Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald a ton, lining them up everywhere to create mismatches. So lower your expectations in terms of total receptions from the WR group this year. I saw a couple times this pre season where we ran a 5-receiver set and only one of those players was a WR.
Second Tier C - In the end we stayed with the wiley vet, Jonathan Goodwin and his inflated salary but Daniel Kilgore put up quite the fight. Also, Looney has been working out at LG and C and he looks much much better at C. In fact, he looks legit at C.
Third Tier FB - This was a big concern of mine because we had nobody behind Bruce Miller and he is vital to our running game (and can catch). The team then cut Jason Schepler so my concern remained. But low-and-behold, Harbaugh goes out and gets "his" guy in Owen Marecic. He should fit in nicely in an offense he already knows and should add some ST value as well.
Third Tier TE - Harbauh got HIS man in Vance McDonald here too. Davis, McDonald and Celek should abolsutely tear it up this year. And most are expecting MarQueis Gray to get devloped in the PS.

Roster as of 9/17:
Note: Non-football injury (NFI) and physically unable to perform (PUP) designations, teams are allowed to begin practicing those players beginning after the sixth week (Oct. 15th) through the conclusion of the 11th weekend of games (Nov. 18th). At any time over a 21-day period after a player begins practicing, the team can activate the player to the 53-man roster.

Offense: (26)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and B.J. Daniels
RB (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (NFI)
FB (2): Bruce Miller and Owen Marecic
WR (5): X = Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Quinton Patton; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP)
TE (4): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek and Chris Harper (H-Back)
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder (Alex Boone); Luke Marquardt (NFI)
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney (Adam Snyder)
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney)

Defense: (23)
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs and Tony Jerod-Eddie; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (NFI)
NT (1): Glenn Dorsey; Ian Williams (I.R.)
OLB (4): Dan Skuta/Corey Lemonier and Ahmad Brooks; Aldon Smith (NFI)
ILB (4): NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nathan Stupar; Patrick Willis & Nick Moody (I.R. designated to return)
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock; Chris Culliver, Eric Wright & Nnamdi Asomugha (I.R. & NFI)
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Raymond Ventrone

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Kevin McDermott

Explanation of the NFI/PUP restrictions and updates to our injured players. http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-injury-updates-dial-could-be-backup-nt-late-season
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Same here....this has been a wish of mine since the Wilfork-days. The 3-4 starts with the NT. Period. I'd take any one of the three GB threw out at us...Raji/Jolly/Pickett. We saw how much they rotated and dominated our inside run game (C & G's). It freed up their OLB's to rush and kept theirILB's clean to roam free. Granted, we abused their secondary but make no mistake about it, there was no way we were going to run inside on them. I don't have that confidence with us anymore. And the more teams pass on us, the more Willis/Bowman are stuck in underneath coverage rather than playing down hill. RB's are getting to our second level and we're struggling inside some already against these bigger backs esp. around the goal line. I just read where Dial could be back after October 3rd. I hope we're not counting on him to be a NT. I'd prefer him to stay at LDE for McDonald who always seems to have minor injuries.

We run a different style of 3-4, and the a monster nose tackle is not as key for us, we give the DE's more gap responsibility than Green Bay or New England does, our 3-4 is more of a hybrid 4-3, that anything else. This makes it easier to find linemen, there are 32 teams in the NFL, and only 6-7 true nose tackles to run a pure 3-4. Those guys don't just grow on trees.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
We run a different style of 3-4, and the a monster nose tackle is not as key for us, we give the DE's more gap responsibility than Green Bay or New England does, our 3-4 is more of a hybrid 4-3, that anything else. This makes it easier to find linemen, there are 32 teams in the NFL, and only 6-7 true nose tackles to run a pure 3-4. Those guys don't just grow on trees.

This is very true...we typically scoop up 1-gap NT (Franklin, Williams, etc.); Sopoaga was a little of both. These are NT's that are slightly smaller (around 315) but more athletic and quicker. They "slice" through A-gaps (have to guess the correct gaps) rather than tie up two OL (typically a C and G), hold the point and collapse the pocket at times. To me, this is an issue and has been an issue for us for a long long time. We have excellent OLB pass rushers and a good rotation now. Both Brooks and Aldon consistently get outside pressure but with no NT to help collapse the step-up lane, QB's just avoid both by stepping up and launching completions down field. A perfect example of that was the Superbowl. What was encouraging last week was when both Aldon/Brooks contained the edges, brought pressure and Dorsey sacked Wilson in the step-up lane. That is HUGE for us. He wasn't as effective inside in the run game but THAT is what we need to maximize our strengths and play best to our personnel (freeing up the ILB's and OLB's) etc. Typically, if we have ANY pressure up the gut it's from Fangio blitzing an ILB. Better pressure up the gut is very advantageous for our porous secondary as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:04 AM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Can't argue with this, but we could still use a NT/DT who can get consistent penetration to help out Justin and Mac. Imagine this defense with a true monster in the middle, one who requires a double every play.

Justin is unstoppable one-on-one and it would give him more chances. It would also help Willis and Bowman, who are currently trying to shut down the middle against the run and pass with almost no penetration from the NT position.

In other words, doesn't matter what our scheme is, the 9ers can use great players at any and all positions, but seem to treat NT as an after thought. I believe it is partly an acknowledgement that the salary cap can't sustain top players at each position so choices must be made...and that's fine...but I can dream!
FYI: Great news about Crabtree. Man, I still think there is no way he comes back this year reviewing Hunter's 8 1/2 month return schedule but you've got to admit, he REALLY seems to be ahead of schedule thus far.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/09/crabtree-ready-for-seahawks-rematch-it-sure-seems-possible.html
FYI: Great news about Crabtree. Man, I still think there is no way he comes back this year reviewing Hunter's 8 1/2 month return schedule but you've got to admit, he REALLY seems to be ahead of schedule thus far.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/09/crabtree-ready-for-seahawks-rematch-it-sure-seems-possible.html

Current Interests/Needs (in order of importance IMHO) - Note that top tier = higher need & second tier = secondary need (some breathing room). If a need is labeled top tier, it could also indicate the large drop off in talent from a starter to the next-man-up.

Top Tier T - We needed a "swing T" so we got three: Carter Bykowski and Luke Marquardt (PUP) and we brought back Adam Snyder. That said, Marquardt is on the NFI list, Bykowski was cut and NOBODY wants Snyder to be the backside blocker for CK (hand injury as well). Worse off, if there is another injury to Staley, we may have to mess with the chemistry along the entire OL and move Boone from RG to T (not easy to adjust to on the fly) and insert someone else at RG (2 of 5 positions); that would be Looney (LG) or Kilgore. This is NOT good. We still have a major hole here IMHO. I'm waiting for us to pick up a veteran LT...
Top Tier Cover SS - It's safe to say the FO got their man in Reid at FS. Dahl seems like a viable backup at both SS/FS and will also help a ton on ST. That said, Whitner still can't cover esp. in the RZ and looks even slower to me so far in pre season; so scheme will have to be the theme for 2013 here. Fangio is going to have to put Reid 1on1 on the Boldin's and tall slot TE's of the world. That said, he didn't do that with Goldson, so why would he with Reid? Nothing else to report here save for Spillman and perhaps, Robinson (if he even makes it; short as well). We shouldn't have to rely solely on the pass rush esp. in the RZ where passes are typically made less than a 3-step drop and right down the middle of the field (I'm looking at you Whitner and the underneath coverage of Willis/Bowman!).
Top Kickoff Coverage Unit/Ace Kick-Punt Returner - Our best gunners this pre season by far were Lockette, Morris and Osgood. All are gone. And Moore may not be playing gunner on ST either if he isa primary WR. This is an ignored area of concern and it cost us in the (NFCCG and Superbowl) and it still affected us greatly in pre season. Cox has looked better than James (injured) but nobody would classify him as "dynamic/electric" and nobody fears him taking it to the house every time he touches the ball (like we do against every team we face, it seems). While some teams have 2 dynamic returners, we can't seem to find one. Now Patton is being tried out, Williams is back but hasn't taken a snap all pre season and Hawkins was cut; he looked like the only real viable "dynamic" returner who has some "it" to him. We seem to have good interior guys but not lightning speed outside. Spillman and Brock will rack up the tackles again on the outside but these are the same two gunners as last year and that unit was average, at best. Raymond Ventrone was given to Seely but he is also expected to be cut when others return and come off the PUP. I'm expecting Seely to resign any day now. LOL
Top or Second Tier DE - Tomsula had Christmas with getting Cornellius Carradine, Quinton Dial and a major project in Lawrence Okoye but he may not see any of them until Christmas 2013! That said, Tank and Dial will most likely be red-shirted this year (PUP) and Okoye is still hoping to make the PS. Fortunately, Dobbs continues to impress and is expected t supplant either Will Tukuafu or Tony Jerod-Eddie after week 1.
Top or Second Tier CB - In the end, we only kept 5 CB's. For a team that is historically facing 4+ WR sets and tends to suffer injuries here, this may be a little concerning. There is now a good chance we lose both Marcus Cooper and Darryl Morris. We are expecting Eric Wright back after week 6 though and hopefully, he'll be up to game speed.
Top or Second Tier NT - SCHEME is the new THEME in 2013! With keeping 6 DL, expect many more 4-man DL sets with plenty of outside pass rushers up at the LOS. Ian Williams thus far, has been tremendous and appears to be even better than Sopoaga/RJF and Glen Dorsey appears to be a viable rotation NT and he can also play DE. Lamar Divens may be added to the PS and developed ala Ian Williams last year.
Second Tier WR - Well, it seems like Moore or Patton will end up being the primary WR opposite Boldin. Crabtree's injury hurts a lot but thankfully we have an even more productive veteran in Boldin to ease that loss. Do not expect Crabtree back at all this year though IMHO. That said, we can expect Manningham back after week 6 which is why we will start the year with only 5 WR's: X = Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Quinton Patton. The important thing to remember here is that we run a "package offense" so ALL of these guys will be used in all WR positions depending on the play called by HaRoMan. And let's be honest here, keeping only 5 WR's is a strong indication that we plan on using Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald a ton, lining them up everywhere to create mismatches. So lower your expectations in terms of total receptions from the WR group this year. I saw a couple times this pre season where we ran a 5-receiver set and only one of those players was a WR.
Second Tier C - In the end we stayed with the wiley vet, Jonathan Goodwin and his inflated salary but Daniel Kilgore put up quite the fight. Also, Looney has been working out at LG and C and he looks much much better at C. In fact, he looks legit at C.
Third Tier FB - This was a big concern of mine because we had nobody behind Bruce Miller and he is vital to our running game (and can catch). The team then cut Jason Schepler so my concern remained. But low-and-behold, Harbaugh goes out and gets "his" guy in Owen Marecic. He should fit in nicely in an offense he already knows and should add some ST value as well.
Third Tier TE - Harbauh got HIS man in Vance McDonald here too. Davis, McDonald and Celek should abolsutely tear it up this year. And most are expecting MarQueis Gray to get devloped in the PS.

Roster as of 10/1:
Note: Non-football injury (NFI) and physically unable to perform (PUP) designations, teams are allowed to begin practicing those players beginning after the sixth week (Oct. 15th) through the conclusion of the 11th weekend of games (Nov. 18th). At any time over a 21-day period after a player begins practicing, the team can activate the player to the 53-man roster.

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and John Skelton
RB (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (NFI)
FB (1): Bruce Miller
WR (5): X = Marlon Moore/Jon Baldwin --- Y = Kyle Williams --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Quinton Patton; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP)
TE (4): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek and Chris Harper (H-Back)
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder (Alex Boone); Luke Marquardt (NFI)
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney (Adam Snyder)
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney)

Defense: (25)
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Demarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (NFI)
NT (2): Glenn Dorsey and Tony Jerod-Eddie; Ian Williams (I.R.)
OLB (4): Dan Skuta, Corey Lemonier, Ahmad Brooks and Jermaine Cunningham; Aldon Smith (NFI)
ILB (4): NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nathan Stupar; Patrick Willis (Injured) & Nick Moody (I.R. designated to return)
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock and Daryl Morris; Nnamdi Asomugha (Injured) and Chris Culliver & Eric Wright (I.R. & NFI)
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Raymond Ventrone

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Kevin McDermott

Updated with CB Daryl Morris, QB John Skelton and OLB Jermaine Cunningham and the waiving of FB Owen Marecic and QB BJ Daniels!

I wonder if Baalke is pissed at Harbaugh over something...canning his boy.

Now we are down another FB (and Miller is a bit banged up). And have we signed a real NT yet? BJ looked great, as did Gray, Cooper, Johnson/Haralson as did Hawkins (for Ventrone). I'm not understanding the rationale for many of these moves esp. the moves today. I guess we'll find out!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone