LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 162 users in the forums

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

The loss to the giants hurt more because it came at the very end when I thought we had it!

The super bowl loss was another storie. That game started BLEEDING ME DRY the whole first half.

I watched in discust, already felling like a dam LOOOOOSERRRRRRRRR!

When we started coming back I figured we get close and not win it , they would keep scorin and stay one score ahead>

We fn made it there GUYS ! We made it there.

It hurts ,but we got a team to recon with and Im pullin myself up from the sewer ,

HEADS UP HIGH NINER FANS

Cant win it UNLESS YOUR IN IT !!!

Im thinkin well be there again within the nex 3 years !
[ Edited by redrazer45 on Feb 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM ]
Originally posted by redrazer45:
The loss to the giants hurt more because it came at the very end when I thought we had it!

The super bowl loss was another storie. That game started BLEEDING ME DRY the whole first half.

I watched in discust, already felling like a dam LOOOOOSERRRRRRRRR!

When we started coming back I figured we get close and not win it , they would keep scorin and stay one score ahead>

We fn made it there GUYS ! We made it there.

It hurts ,but we got a team to recon with and Im pullin myself up from the sewer ,

HEADS UP HIGH NINER FANS

Cant win it UNLESS YOUR IN IT !!!

Im thinkin well be there again within the nex 3 years !

How did it come to the very end when you thought we had it? We kept going 3 and out, our defense was keeping us in the game, how exactly did we look like we 'had' it? Our offense did nothing to help our defense out in that game.
Super Bowl, hands down. It's like getting the prom queen in bed and ready to go, and just when you're about to take that trophy her ex-boyfriend walks in and she leaves with him. To be so close and go home empty-handed....

Heart breaking.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I'm not sure how people can say the Giants loss hurt more. That was a magical season and we weren't even "supposed" to be there.

The SB hurt waaaaayyy more. I guess some of you guys were happy with just making it to the SB. 1st and goal from the 7 and you lose???? The chances of us being back next year are very slim. SB hurt way more, I'm not sure I'll ever completely get over it.
not trying to start a Qb debate(even though the debate is dead and buried) but if Alex smith was our Qb and we lost id say the superbowl
but that fact that we almost completely erased a 22 point deficit in the Superbowl gives a lot of hope for Kaepernick and the future.
No stage is too big for this team
Originally posted by theduke85:
The NFC Championship game hurt WAY worse. Here's why:

Against the Giants, we were up a touchdown late and blew it with the Kyle Williams fumble. Then in overtime, we lost on another fumble! It felt like we had the Super Bowl at our fingertips and pissed it away.

Against the Ravens, it was kind of the complete opposite. We started terribly, and then came up just short of mounting a historic comeback. At least in the Super Bowl we went down swinging and finished strong.

this
Originally posted by tarl:
Yeah. Everyone knows that we were given that game and Brandon Jacobs gave us your game plan too for the game earlier this season, didn't he?

We beat you in NFCCG for the second time in your own house because we were the better team. Cry all you want and make all the excuses you want, it wont change a thing.

Um, the Giants didn't even make the playoffs this past season...so why are you even talking at all?
They both hurt bad. I don't know why but the Giants game hurt the most. Perhaps because at that point I was just so happy to be playing in the NFCCG. I thought for sure that we'd be able to beat the Giants.

I think the fact that we got down so much against the Ravens had something to do about it. My reaction when we failed the comeback was "well, we tried." My reaction when we lost against the Giants was a lot of curses.
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM ]
Another thing that made the lost against the Giants more hurtful was that during that season, NO ONE expected the 49ers to be in the Super Bowl. It would've been GREAT to surprise everyone by advancing to the big game but primarily Kyle's turnovers prevented that.

This past season many folks picked the 9ers to be in the Super Bowl. People knew we had talent and could win it all. We just lost.

I dont know...I always been feeling that its harder to accept a lost in the NFC Championship Game AT HOME than playing on a neutral field in the Super Bowl. Both losses are indeed difficult (I'm still having a hard time accepting the SB loss) but considering how the 9ers came up short of reaching the Super Bowl last season and in '97 in the NFC title game AT HOME, a Super Bowl lost wouldn't be as hard to accept....but its no doubt still hard as it should be.
This Niner team will forever be remembered as the team that lost the first Superbowl. I don't know but it seems like the younger generation of Niner fans are just happy they got to there, which is pretty shameful. Like Steve Young said you can lose NFCCG and live with it, but you DON'T LOSE SUPERBOWLS. The 49ers have lost a bunch of conference championship games. This one hurts most because the stain will be there forever... 5-1

Nothing hurts more than losing the Super Bowl

/thread
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
They both hurt bad. I don't know why but the Giants game hurt the most. Perhaps because at that point I was just so happy to be playing in the NFCCG. I thought for sure that we'd be able to beat the Giants.

I think the fact that we got down so much against the Ravens had something to do about it. My reaction when we failed the comeback was "well, we tried." My reaction when we lost against the Giants was a lot of Kyle Williams curses.

Fixed and I agree with your entire post.
It felt to me like the giants wanted to give us the game. We only needed to get akers to the 40. Your right we sucked on 3rd down but I had FAITH !!!!!!!

The S B was like ( are u kidding me ? this is the niners team that shows up in the first half in a super bowl, I was already perplexed and in a daze by the 3rd Qt.

just ment I still belived in the giants game.

Not so much in the SB

Im 45 guy

Seen the niners in all their bowls, this one did suck !
Same story, different verse. And, our coaching and Qb weren't good enough. C'mon. Kap had exactly 1/3 of a season to start. You just cannot learn all the stuff you need to know in that short a time span. OC was wobbly in both games. DC went wobbly both games. HC the same. INexperience, just inexperience. Remember, it took john Harbaugh 5 trips to playoffs to win SB, and now he is done. We are sooo close, and we are placed to stay in it for the long haul, 6, maybe 8 yrs, depending on how kap holds up physically. I am no fan of him running...see RG 3. And then there is the education of JH, our great coach, but green as grass. He came so close with so little experience, and same can be said for fangio and roman. We gotta do better there at coaching, qB, and then there are the holes that showed up in SB:
STs need to be nailed down tight. Need PK. Need TWO starters at WR,depending on kyle and AJ(not much hope there, but you never know). We gotta have a guy who is 6'3" and can cover like a glove on deep stuff. We need one OL and one DL starter. Looking at that, plus the coaching inadequacies, we DIDN"T deserve to win either game. Thing is, Kap already has SB experience. So does JH. Same for roman and fangio. That is worth uncountable riches, and will help us get back there not just next yr but for yrs to come. But as far as which was worse? Nah, neither, rather just priming the pump for the next 10 runs as SB. A better ques is which game helped us the most, and that is definitely ravens. We learned a ton from that game... and JH will proceed from there, same for Kap
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:28 PM ]
The Superbowl was worse because the Niners were straight up ROBBED.
Share 49ersWebzone