LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 613 users in the forums

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which hurt more? NFC Championship loss vs Giants or Super Bowl Loss?

Still haven't seen one highlight from the game. I can't even listen to espn radio. Worst loss ever!!!!
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
How about '87? The #1 offense AND the #1 defense in the entire league, the odds on favorite to win it all, everyone's pick... and we get knocked out by a wild card team (The Vikings) because one of their receivers, Anthony Carter has the best day of his career.

See, that hurt a lot more than the Super Bowl.
That 49-3 shellacking in New York was like needles in the eyes. Montana gets sent to the hospital while throwing a pick-six to Lawrence Taylor??!! Rice drops the ball for a touch back on his way to the end zone behind the entire Giants secondary??!! Are you kidding me? Or how about "face guarding" on Ronnie Lott when he has his hands at his sides during the closing seconds of the Redskins title game after the '83 season? Or how about deep in Giants territory, ready to ice the game with a FG and go to your third SB in a row, only to see it fumbled away, watching Parcels and his players holding hands and praying and then hearing Parcels say, "you know, I think God was with us out on the field today." Now that's what I call fricking painful.

I understand anyone who was most hurt by this Super Bowl loss, but I'm trying to look at it as the beginning motivational inspiration for a long run of being perennial contenders with a Colin Kaepernick offense. And, I'm pretty sure people will be annoyed by this, but I think it's interesting to finally really understand the hurt our team has put on millions of people five different times. We finally get a chance to feel that - go all the way to the final seconds of an entire season, to the pinnacle, and then be denied. The Niners have laid that feeling on millions of Bengals, Broncos, Dolphins and Chargers fans. Now we know. And as far as I'm concerned, 5-1 is still in Cowboys and Steelers territory. It's still right up there with the most storied franchises of the modern era. I'll take it.

G - That second paragraph there - it doesn't make it better, but I can certainly agree with what you said. Now WE know how THEY feel and I N E V E R want to feel like this again.
  • Tical
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I would if the Ravens were better. They weren't.

Ravens have beaten the 49ers two years in a row.
Ravens were blowing the Niners out of the stadium before the momentum stopping outage occurred. Niners were on their way to a historic a$$ whoopin before that happened. Just man up and face the facts
Originally posted by Tical:

Ravens were blowing the Niners out of the stadium before the momentum stopping outage occurred. Niners were on their way to a historic a$$ whoopin before that happened. Just man up and face the facts

Fact: literally every call/non-call went against the Niners other than the Soap hit on Flacco--on which no one really agrees if or if not it was a foul.
Fact: Roman s**t the bed big time with his final series playcalling. We run the ball and we score, you guys were getting GASHED all 2nd half and didn't have Ngata, who even said he was surprised they didn't run the ball.
Fact: Ray Lewis was getting punked up and down the field (just thought I'd add that in there)
Fact: Crabtree was undeniably fouled on the final 2 plays. Of course there's the hold on 4th down that would have given us the ball at the 1 or 2.5 depending on if they called it PI or not. The 3rd down play was much actually more blatant, though has received less press. As I've said, I'm generally skeptical of the helmet-helmet rules, but Williams' helmet-to-helmet shot on Crabtree on the 3rd down is a textbook example of what the league has labeled illegal hits. One can maybe, maybe reasonably argue about the hold--not that didn't occur, or even if the refs should or should not call it, but only about if the ball was catchable; there is no denying, however, the helmet-helmet shot on Crabs on 3rd down and I'd really love to see you explain away that one.

Now, get back to enjoying your unfortunately tainted win in beautiful Baltimore and blindly hero worshiping your demented demigod leader. Bye now!
I guess it just all boils down to which feels worse. BLOWING the game while having the lead with a self destructing turnover (NFC title game) or getting ROBBED by the refs in the Super Bowl.
  • Tical
  • Veteran
Originally posted by merm49:

Fact: literally every call/non-call went against the Niners other than the Soap hit on Flacco--on which no one really agrees if or if not it was a foul.
Fact: Roman s**t the bed big time with his final series playcalling. We run the ball and we score, you guys were getting GASHED all 2nd half and didn't have Ngata, who even said he was surprised they didn't run the ball.
Fact: Ray Lewis was getting punked up and down the field (just thought I'd add that in there)
Fact: Crabtree was undeniably fouled on the final 2 plays. Of course there's the hold on 4th down that would have given us the ball at the 1 or 2.5 depending on if they called it PI or not. The 3rd down play was much actually more blatant, though has received less press. As I've said, I'm generally skeptical of the helmet-helmet rules, but Williams' helmet-to-helmet shot on Crabtree on the 3rd down is a textbook example of what the league has labeled illegal hits. One can maybe, maybe reasonably argue about the hold--not that didn't occur, or even if the refs should or should not call it, but only about if the ball was catchable; there is no denying, however, the helmet-helmet shot on Crabs on 3rd down and I'd really love to see you explain away that one.

Now, get back to enjoying your unfortunately tainted win in beautiful Baltimore and blindly hero worshiping your demented demigod leader. Bye now!

FACT: John Harbaugh 2-0, Jim Harbaugh 0-2....see you next time little brother. MAYBE you'll win eventually
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nflguy49:
The Superbowl was worse because the Niners were straight up ROBBED.
yes from our own coaches,, that is what made it worse. the coaches are supposed to look out for us and do what is best for the team. instead we got those horse s**t last three plays, not to mention not having the guys ready for the fake punt safety in which valuable seconds ticked off the clock,, the coaches let this team down and that is so upsetting, mind boggling and frustrating
Originally posted by Beeker:
G - That second paragraph there - it doesn't make it better, but I can certainly agree with what you said. Now WE know how THEY feel and I N E V E R want to feel like this again.

I agree. It doesn't make it better. It's just something to take away from it.

I'm getting tired of this notion that the blackout hurt the Ravens. B.S. Half the Ravens defense is old, slow, fat or a combination of the three. They were gassed. The blackout gave them an opportunity to rest which they needed. And, isn't it about time Ravens fans manned up and at least faced the fact that they got a little lucky and the refs, on the whole, were kinder to their team than they were to the Niners. I mean come on. First and goal at the five and you hold them with the help of a questionable call. The least a Ravens fan could do is accept the victory but acknowlege that they were a little lucky to get away with it. Just stop pretending it was an ass-whipping. It was five yards away from the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history on the one hand, and the biggest choke of a lead on the other.

FACT: John Harbaugh 2-0, Jim Harbaugh 0-2....see you next time little brother. MAYBE you'll win eventually

Ahh right out of the classic deflection playbook. Well played, well played I'll give you that. But how about addressing my points?

Gotta be a sad person whose team wins the SB then over a week later is still trolling the losing side's MB.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

you are right,, little brother was horribly outcoached in the super bowl. little brother also came off as the whining little brother brat face after the game. winning and losing with class and dignity is what this franchise is all about. also you are not supposed to let your team down with s**t play calls on the biggest stage in the world

Ahh right out of the classic deflection playbook. Well played, well played I'll give you that. But how about addressing my points?

Gotta be a sad person whose team wins the SB then over a week later is still trolling the losing side's MB.

No kidding. If you're not going to at least acknowledge a little help from the officials, just get the f*** outta here.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:

you are right,, little brother was horribly outcoached in the super bowl. little brother also came off as the whining little brother brat face after the game. winning and losing with class and dignity is what this franchise is all about. also you are not supposed to let your team down with s**t play calls on the biggest stage in the world

The World Cup disagrees.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

The World Cup disagrees.
not to mention olympic wrestling fans

Maybe some of us should just become Ravens fans and get it over with. Or maybe a fan of whatever team picks up Alex Smith.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

The World Cup disagrees.
not to mention olympic wrestling fans

for the record I dont think he was out coached our guys made mistakes (LMJ fumble, Kap pick, stuipid penalities, and Culliver being a dumbass) and also the Ravens got the benefit of calls from the refs.
Share 49ersWebzone