LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 206 users in the forums

Did Joe Montana and Steve young ever reconcile?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Ive always wondered 2 things about this.

In 1992, Montana is still on the team as the backup. Young is playing well, we go to the NFC champ game. Was Montana secretly happy that we lost to Dallas, so he didnt have to be on the sidelines looking on while Young won a title in his place?

And, in 1994, was he pulling for the 49ers or Chargers in the SB? I feel like deep down we wouldve prefered to be the only SB winning QB of that era.

Montana DID root for the Chargers:

"`I'm an AFC guy now,'' Montana said earlier this week, in announcing he'll be rooting for the Chargers. ``But I've got a lot of friends on both teams.''

And Brent Jones didn't like that:

"``I'm a little disappointed in Joe,'' Jones said, choosing his words carefully. ``He said he's rooting for the Chargers because he's an AFC guy. If you ask me, that's a little weak. I feel bad about that because I've done nothing but root for Joe and the Chiefs, except for when we played them. I've even got a couple of Kansas City hats. He played with eight guys on this team and we were a big part of his career. To say you're rooting against your buddies, that's kind of tough.'"

http://articles.courant.com/1995-01-26/sports/9501260436_1_montana-s-chiefs-49ers-afc-guy

Damn
Originally posted by Niners99:
Ive always wondered 2 things about this.

In 1992, Montana is still on the team as the backup. Young is playing well, we go to the NFC champ game. Was Montana secretly happy that we lost to Dallas, so he didnt have to be on the sidelines looking on while Young won a title in his place?

And, in 1994, was he pulling for the 49ers or Chargers in the SB? I feel like deep down we wouldve prefered to be the only SB winning QB of that era.

Actually I remember seeing an interview days before that SB game and Montana said the Chargers has no shot of beating the 49ers.
Originally posted by kray28:
Joe was the better QB, but Steve was the bigger man.

I love Joe, but in the end, I had a stronger connection to Steve...for a variety of reasons. Things didn't come so easy for Steve, there were struggles, adversity, trade rumors, and a giant shadow to live up to. He faced it and beat it....Superbowl 29 was the best in that regard.

agreed, Steve is my favorite football player of all time. he was the epitome of a 49er to me. Montana had the legend and more rings but young had way more class and would die on the field for the niners. broken ribs and helmetless runs wouldnt stop young from giving it everything he had.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
agreed, Steve is my favorite football player of all time. he was the epitome of a 49er to me. Montana had the legend and more rings but young had way more class and would die on the field for the niners. broken ribs and helmetless runs wouldnt stop young from giving it everything he had.

Young is definitely underrated among historical great QBs. But Joe is the better QB and I think Steve lost games that Joe would've won.
Originally posted by ninersoul:

Young is definitely underrated among historical great QBs. But Joe is the better QB and I think Steve lost games that Joe would've won.
im sure there were some games young couldvt won that joe didnt as well. to plug players into different games is kind of ridiculous. some days things work some days they dont. montana IS the greatests but he had a much more streamlined career than steve did. steve started in another league (and won a championship) and then was exiled to tampa bay who sucked and then he sat behind joe for 4 years. i truly believe if young had walsh from the beginning he wouldve won more rings than joe. his skill set was incredible
I don't know but I do know Joe is a bitter man. The way he approached the situation with Young and his disdain for the NFL is a shame.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Steve is the way better person as it appears to us outsiders, while Montana was a great player he isn't much of a human being. Just google his name, he likes to sue people.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Steve is the way better person as it appears to us outsiders, while Montana was a great player he isn't much of a human being. Just google his name, he likes to sue people.

did you read the book called the greatest rival. both young and montana were a*****es in regards to how they handled the quarterback thing, used the media and team mates to push thier agenda, damn what it did to the locker room.. after that read i lost alot of respect for both guys in regards to how they handled that stuff. and no,, they never kissed and made up and they never will. they could take a lesson from how ck and alex have handled the quarterback thing(alex body language not withstanding to the conspiracy nuts)
Look at the sense of entitlement and all-around "d-baggedness" of Montana's kids (sons). That didn't just happen in a vacuum, call it learned behavior. Hell, Montana has even taken time out of his day to rip "Rudy" (Daniel Ruettiger)...Joe, you were 2x MVP, in a ton of Pro Bowls, won 4 SB rings, in the HOF, you're Joe F-ing Cool...let Rudy do his motivational speaking and you just tend to your grapes and keep pulling strings for your kids.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
steve young is not exactly lilly white folks

• Pick6
  • Veteran
That was a BAD situation... there has never been and I don't think ever will be again a QB controversy like Joe and Steve. I actually think considering everything its amazing how well that situation went. I can see where both guys would be understandably unhappy... hell BOTH are all time greats, HOF players two of the best QB's to ever play the game!

I'm trying to come up with a comparable situation today and there just isn't one. Maybe if the Colts had kept Manning and drafted Luck... I think Manning is closer to the end than Montana was when the 9ers signed Steve. But can you see any way possible that Manning and Luck could co exist for 4 years... especially with the Colts giving Luck occasional starts (in which he plays well) because they are unsure of Mannings health?

It would be like the Patriots trading for Cam Newton (or Kaep, Luck, RGIII, Wilson, etc) and putting them on the bench for a couple years, then giving them some spot starts for a couple more because of health concerns. Its not going to happen today because that situation would blow up.
Originally posted by cciowa:
steve young is not exactly lilly white folks

hes not gay, hes a mormon
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersoul:

I have done enough digging through stats to say they were almost equals, other than Steve's one Super Bowl season of 1994, Joe had the benefit of playing on teams with better defenses than Steve did.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Unfortunate cropping

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Look at the sense of entitlement and all-around "d-baggedness" of Montana's kids (sons). That didn't just happen in a vacuum, call it learned behavior. Hell, Montana has even taken time out of his day to rip "Rudy" (Daniel Ruettiger)...Joe, you were 2x MVP, in a ton of Pro Bowls, won 4 SB rings, in the HOF, you're Joe F-ing Cool...let Rudy do his motivational speaking and you just tend to your grapes and keep pulling strings for your kids.

Damn Steve, did you really have to go after his family?
Share 49ersWebzone